2026 Mazda Miata (NE)

Antarctica
TRAPPIST-1g
ProjectWHaT
On November 22, 2022, in a video on Mazda's roadmap for 2030, they tease a 2 door sports car called the Mazda Vision Study Concept

1670350180328.png

1670350454764.png

1670350245590.png

1670350282084.png

1670350321321.png

1670350496171.png

In September, spy shots of what could be the NE mule were spotted featuring wider rear fenders

1670350589010.png

1670350596930.png

1670350613693.png

It seems we're dealing with an NE MX-5 test mule wearing a modified current-gen body. The white finish makes it hard for the camera to catch details, but as the photos above show, the rear fenders have been widened. It points to the new sports car featuring a wider stance, while also keeping the same wheelbase.

We can also see some wiring taped to the side of the car, running underneath just ahead of the rear wheels. As for the camouflage on the front, we think it's just there as a distraction.

In a recent report, Mazda's director and senior managing executive officer, Yasuhiro Aoyama, said that the next gen MX-5 will be heavily impacted by the new Europeans emission regulations and it will have some sort of electrified powertrain

“The MX-5 is an icon in the Mazda product lineup and we have a lot of promise with our current MX-5 owners spread all over the world, so we will continue our MX-5 in the future,” Mazda’s director and senior managing executive officer, Yasuhiro Aoyama, told Wheels.

Aoyama also revealed the new MX-5’s timing is likely to coincide with the introduction of Euro 7 emissions regulations, which are set to come into force from July 2025.

“It should be also heavily triggered by the implementation of the new legislation that was recently announced for stage seven in Europe,” said Aoyama. “So the contents of stage seven we are still investigating, but it will affect our MX-5 at the time.”

The stricter emissions regulations also means the new MX-5 is likely to be electrified in some way. A hybrid powertrain is the most likely solution, though Aoyama acknowledged Mazda’s challenge will be keeping weight as low as possible to ensure the new sports car continues the MX-5’s longstanding philosophy of being lightweight. The current ND MX-5 boasts a kerb weight of 1021 kilograms in manual roadster guise.

“It will, at the time, be some kind of electrification so we need to investigate the most appropriate strategy for the future MX-5 which will not betray our passionate fans’ expectations,” said Aoyama.

Mazda’s head of design also confirmed the next-gen MX-5 is likely to be electrified in some way, but exactly what form the new car’s powertrain will take is yet to be locked in.

“The next-generation MX-5 we may have to think about electrification as well there and if that’s the case the car has to be lightweight, of course, and it still has to have an MX-5-ness,” said Akira Tamatani. “So how can we satisfy both of those things we need to really run a good study on that so we don’t have a clear answer to that yet.”

One thing Tamatani ruled out was fitting the new MX-5 with Mazda’s fresh 3.3-litre straight-six which produces 209kW/450Nm in the soon-to-arrive CX-60 and features a mild-hybrid system. We jokingly suggested that engine would be a good fit, but Tamatani replied:

“If you put that kind of engine in and it won’t be an MX-5 anymore,” he laughed. “High power sports car? Haha. I wish I could make that kind of vehicle.”

As for how the new-gen MX-5 will look, Tamatani didn’t give much away, but he did hint that the sleek Vision Study concept car will provide some inspiration. Mazda showed the Vision Study as part of its mid-term management plan update last week, but it gave little away about the long-nosed hardtop coupe.

That lead to some media outlets speculating it could point to a new RX-7, while others concluded it was a design study for a new MX-5. The answer, according to Tamatani, is neither, although the new MX-5 is likely to draw inspiration from the concept car.

“Please take it as an image, just an image,” he said. “It’s a message. We have this passion to create that type of vehicle, that’s the message we want to say. But will we make production vehicles made from that? We still haven’t really decided.”

I think that ND test car is stock body.
There is definitely something off with the rear fenders/arches. There are lines on the bodywork that aren't on a normal ND.

For comparison, a white ND:
1670351950889.png

The test mule in OP's post:
1670352098686.png

Test mule, but with the fender modifications(?) outline marked in red lines:
ne.png

They did something to the fenders, but it's not clear to me what it is.

The articles says those are just wires, assuming they're for sensors or something like that

It is possible the car isn't widened
Fair enough on that. I didn't read the article as thoroughly as I thought I did...

I don't believe a conventional ICE powertrain would fit in the body shown for the vision concept, unless it's a rotary or horizontally opposed (boxer) engine. Or maybe mid-engined? I'd guess all of those are so unlikely they are practically impossible. Perhaps this is purely a design study.

Last edited:
Motor Trend claims that they have confirmation from Mazda that the next gen Miata will have some form of electrification

Mazda has confirmed the next-generation 2026 MX-5 Miata will be electrified. But the automaker stopped short of saying what form the electrification will take—fully EV, hybrid, or plug-in hybrid.

Mazda teases a new concept for the 2023 Japan Mobility Show that will likely be the electric NE Miata

The highlight of Mazda's booth at the 2023 Japan Mobility Show is going to be a "new concept car designed to symbolize the exhibit theme." For the time being, we'll have to settle for the sole teaser image at the top. By the looks of it, the rear design bears a resemblance to the Vision Study concept we saw in the second half of November last year. Those split taillights look almost the same, flanking prominent "Mazda" lettering. The two parallel lines below are slightly tilted whereas on the 2022 concept, they were straight.

It remains to be seen whether this new concept is a preview of the next-generation Miata. Even if it is, the ND3 was just revealed in Japan, which means the current roadster/coupe will remain in production for at least a couple of years. Consequently, we are not expecting the new model to go on sale sooner than 2026.

The 2023 Japan Mobility Show is set to star on October 25 with the first press day and end on November 5 with the last public day.

1696958830117.png

I don't think it's meant to be an NE and I also don't think it's necessarily an EV. There doesn't seem to be any confirmation that the Vision Study was an EV at all, but Mazda has said they want to continue the Miata as a hybrid for as long as possible.

I still think they're trying to brew up a larger sports car or GT.

Mazda Iconic SP

1698194054422.png

1698194060103.png

1698194064621.png

MAZDA ICONIC SP is a new type of compact sports car concept, designed to adopt to the new era and respond to the emotions of customers who “love cars” and “desire a car that simply embodies the joy of driving”. This powertrain features Mazda's unique two-rotor rotary EV system, which remains compact and thus offers a high degree of layout flexibility, enabling the concept model to have a low center of gravity to enhance driving performance. Batteries are charged by recyclable energy source and the two-rotor rotary engine, used for power generation, is powered by carbon-neutral fuel. The vibrant red color of Viola Red, is a concept color created by overlaying Mazda's corporate philosophy of "enrich life-in-motion for those we serve" based on Mazda's desire to “cherish the color red.”

[...]

• The two-rotor rotary EV system, which utilizes a highly scalable rotary engine that can burn various fuels such as hydrogen, generates electricity with carbon-neutral fuel. In addition, when the battery is charged with electricity derived from renewable energy, it is possible to drive in a virtually carbon-neutral state.
  • The high output generated by the two-rotor rotary EV system, the proportions of the lower center of gravity, and the weight distribution of around 50:50 achieve excellent driving performance. In addition, although it is a sports car, it can supply power when enjoying outdoor leisure and in the time of a disaster.

Overall length x width x height (mm)4,180 × 1,850 × 1,150
Wheelbase (mm)2,590
Power-weight ratio3.9
Maximum output (PS)370
Weight (kg)1,450

Mazda Iconic SP

View attachment 1297814

View attachment 1297815

View attachment 1297816

Overall length x width x height (mm)4,180 × 1,850 × 1,150
Wheelbase (mm)2,590
Power-weight ratio3.9
Maximum output (PS)370
Weight (kg)1,450
It is impossible to beat you to news lol.

But I told you guys this wasn't an NE. Damn, I should've bet a million bucks on it!

I don't think it's meant to be an NE and I also don't think it's necessarily an EV. There doesn't seem to be any confirmation that the Vision Study was an EV at all, but Mazda has said they want to continue the Miata as a hybrid for as long as possible.

I still think they're trying to brew up a larger sports car or GT.

I think it is though? They mentioned previous Miatas during the introduction of the presentation
Overall it's just a concept so we don't really know what it is, but in my opinion the hardtop and rotary engine - even if it's just a range-extender - negates the Miata heritage. We would need more context in the future to see what this becomes.

Regardless, it's a really pretty car. There are some graphical elements I don't like - the taillights look weird and unfinished - but overall this is a pretty classic sports car. The pop-up headlights are probably fan service but they prove that pop-ups are still impossibly cool. I agree with @Eunos_Cosmo on the FD influences, and it makes sense because the FD was another classically beautiful sports coupe.

I'm kind of having a hard time with this thing's proportions though. It's almost too extreme lol. It is extremely to the point of what a classic sports coupe should look like, so much so that it looks a lot like a Corvette. I'm seeing C6 vibes at the front and rear though this is a bit curvier. The C-pillar area is also closely related to the current Mazda 3 hatch.

I don't think this color was the best way to show off the car's body contouring. Metallic colors are always the best for that. Something about this design, especially the grille, seems like an older design language rather than the current stunning language on the 3 in particular.

It'll probably grow on me.

The positioning of the windscreen reminds me of the Alfa 33 Stradale for some reason.

Overall it's just a concept so we don't really know what it is, but in my opinion the hardtop and rotary engine - even if it's just a range-extender - negates the Miata heritage. We would need more context in the future to see what this becomes.
I agree we need more context in order to determine where it goes in terms lineage.

But I was thinking about your comment some more and I thought it was interesting how Mazda's first EV was the MX-30 which also came with a rotary range extender eventually. Perhaps that set their precedent for future MX-xx models to be EVs with rotaries? Which would allow a future MX-5 to follow this pattern

Some more information from Mazda

The combination of the proportions, size, powertrain and packaging is what makes this “concept a demonstration to ourselves that what technologies we can put in a compact sports car” in the future, Mazda’s chief financial officer, Jeff Guyton, told Autocar. “We have packaging feasibility for things we’re talking about.

Guyton added: “By itself, the concept is not intended to be the next MX-5 or something else, although if the responses are great, that’s a nice indication that there could be some market for this.”

Mazda has given no indication of when an electrified MX-5 would make production, but now that the current car has been safeguarded against impending safety legislation, it can be expected to remain on sale until at least 2026.

The Iconic SP makes it clear that Mazda intends the MX-5 to live on in its future electrified line-up and the aim of this concept is as inspiration for a future MX-5, not a reborn RX, even though, like past RX sports cars, it uses a rotary engine.

Guyton said that while “there are technical solutions we have to make, especially with the emissions for the rotary, and with challenges left, including the battery packaging, some of the fundamentals are there.” He added: “This was a demonstration of ‘we want to put these pieces together, can we do it, make it compact and make it a sports car?’ We can.”

The packaging of the rotary “unlocks the concept’s unique proportions”, said Guyton, pointing out that it is based on a “unique” architecture for Mazda. While the concept is a hard-top coupé, it can be made into a convertible and that has been factored into its creation, said Guyton.

[...]

Recently appointed Mazda CEO Masahiro Moro, revealing the concept in Tokyo, said: "We love the MX-5, and the world loves the MX-5. We are determined in the age of electrification to keep the joy of driving which the MX-5 represents alive and the Mazda Iconic SP, with its dual rotary power generator-EV powertrain is our dream solution – a dream we will work hard to launch.

“Mazda will always deliver vehicles that remind people that cars are pure joy and an indispensable part of their lives.”

It’ll be interesting to see how the MG Cyberster does in sales next year. That’s going to be an $100,000AUD car, when the current MX-5 is about $53,000AUD. Albeit, the MG’s performance will be much quicker, but at a weight costing of 1000kg more than the MX-5.
Not saying the MG will gobble up sales from MX-5, but I guess Mazda will wait and see reaction to such an EV, from customers.

I agree we need more context in order to determine where it goes in terms lineage.

But I was thinking about your comment some more and I thought it was interesting how Mazda's first EV was the MX-30 which also came with a rotary range extender eventually. Perhaps that set their precedent for future MX-xx models to be EVs with rotaries? Which would allow a future MX-5 to follow this pattern
It's been true for a long time that rotary engines are relatively efficient at constant rpm with a light load. Accelerating rotary engines is what really burns the gas, and directly powering a car requires a lot of that. But if the engine can just sit there and churn away it is actually pretty good. Mazda has been putting years into making them work so I think they've decided to go with rotary range extenders in the future. The RX/MX designations might ultimately not matter as long as the rotary lives on in some form.

If they make the RE light enough and easy to access, it's conceivable that you could just lift/drop it out and do all your own maintenance.

Mazda was intentionally vague about whether this car is related to the RX or MX lineages. The concept is also larger than it needed to be. I assume to exaggerate the design details, sort of like the FT-1 and production Supra

Mazda says the Iconic SP moniker is intentionally vague so as not to create a clear link to either of the two sports cars. Speaking with Automotive News Europe, Chief Designer Masashi Nakayama revealed they made the showcar bigger on purpose but it "could easily be shrunk down to Miata-like proportions." In theory, it means there wouldn't be any packaging constraints despite having to cram in a two-rotor engine, an electric motor, and a battery pack.

[Mazda CEO Masahiro Moro] went on to mention "The roadster is the icon of Mazda's brand, and the rotary EV is a concept for the future iconic model."

I believe that the distinction between the MX and RX lines will become obsolete as companies begin to reduce their offerings even further. I doubt Mazda will ever be able to afford to develop a different MX and RX car at the same time.

Given that the MX-30 already has the same powertrain setup, that sets some precedent as to what the future MX will look like. I can see a future "MX-50" being the concept that was shown, melding together past RXs and MXs

Back