The Interceptor returns...

• Thread starter X-Power
  • 77 comments
United Kingdom
Great Britain
http://www.jensensportscars.com/

This is good news! đź‘Ť I love the original Interceptor, so it'll be interesting to see what the new one will be like. They've only got concept sketches at the moment, but hopefully they'll be able to make the production car look similar because these concept sketches are stunning. They plan to unveil the production model in late 2012 with deliveries to customers beginnning in 2014. I wish them the best of luck and hope they succeed with their plan.

Jensen tried a comeback before... and failed miserably :ouch:

sv8brochure3.jpg

I thought this was about the gtplanet user "The Interceptor" returning ('did he ever leave?' I wondered for a moment) :lol:

About the car: sketches look nice, we'll see how the real thing turns out đź‘Ť

I thought it was going to be about the Top Gear Mad Max Interceptor conjured up earlier in the year:
ford-top-gear-australia-revive-mad-max-interceptor-2.jpg

But these Jensen sketches don't look too bad, not a bad modern take on the original.

If they ever release this car, then Top Gear will have to do a "Modern Remake" version of THIS fictional theme...

Jensen tried a comeback before... and failed miserably :ouch:

sv8brochure3.jpg

Exactly. And this time they'll fail even worse. Why?
They were saved by a British company, which one?
Not Aston Martin, not Bentley and not Lotus, but instead...
Frrazer Nash! The 'well heard of' British car company.

p.s I don't dislike Jensen, the Interceptor is a favourite of mine. I just wish these old (and lets be honest, rubbish) British companies would just die gracefully instead of scrounging of of every Tom, Frazer and SAIC.

What? Regardless of whether they fail or not, the world would be a poorer place if they didn't at least try.

Remember that some of these "rubbish" British car companies used to produce the best sports and GT cars in the world.

The original looks awesome. But this new one just looks unbelievable.

What? Regardless of whether they fail or not, the world would be a poorer place if they didn't at least try.

Remember that some of these "rubbish" British car companies used to produce the best sports and GT cars in the world.

Germans - ingenuity - BMW M3
Italians - Flair - Maserati GranTurismo
Japanese - Advanced - Nissan GTR (obviously :))
British - 'Plucky' - Austin Healey Sprite

Says it all really.

In fact, most 'alright' British manufacturers are owned by the Germans.

Last edited:
Scottish - Negative

I'm all for this new Interceptor to be produced and hopefully it does make it to production because then Top Gear will have to do a 'remake' of the opening scene as mentioned here already :dopey:

Germans - ingenuity - BMW M3
Italians - Flair - Maserati GranTurismo
Japanese - Advanced - Nissan GTR (obviously :))
British - 'Plucky' - Austin Healey Sprite

Says it all really.

It doesn't say anything. I've no idea what you're getting at.

None of that changes my point, which is that the Brits have been responsible for some of the best sports and GT cars ever made. You can add the E-Type and XKSS Jag (and others), Lotus Elan, Lotus/Caterham 7, Lotus Elise (and others), Austin Healey 3000 (and others), AC Ace/Cobra, MGB, MGA, Triumph TR series, any Aston Martin, and about five dozen other well-known sports cars and GTs to the Sprite on your list.

In fact, most 'alright' British manufacturers are owned by the Germans.

Lotus. Ariel. Aston Martin. Radical. Jaguar. Land Rover. Many others. What's your point again?

It doesn't say anything. I've no idea what you're getting at.

None of that changes my point, which is that the Brits have been responsible for some of the best sports and GT cars ever made. You can add the E-Type and XKSS Jag (and others), Lotus Elan, Lotus/Caterham 7, Lotus Elise (and others), Austin Healey 3000 (and others), AC Ace/Cobra, MGB, MGA, Triumph TR series, any Aston Martin, and about five dozen other well-known sports cars and GTs to the Sprite on your list.

Lotus. Ariel. Aston Martin. Radical. Jaguar. Land Rover. Many others. What's your point again?

Fair enough Ariel and Radical are pretty decent, but all other British manufacturers fall in comparison to their foreign rivals. Anyway, back to the point; I would have more respect for the Interceptor if Jensen let it die with dignity instead of sucking up to other companies.

Hey ... I think you guys are forgetting the oldest sportscar in existence. About 60 years old and still racing with considerable success:

[YOUTUBEHD]jsSSqOUnK_o[/YOUTUBEHD]

And I know, I know, brits aren't truly proud of this car so they never mention it (this is odd, but what can you do ... ) but in all honesty ... and despite the lowprofiled modesty of the brand ... it's a brilliant car. A pure roadster. And this may surprise you guys, but it holds its ground pretty well against similar machinery.

Not to mention the big brother (Aero 8) that you can see here winning races against the might combined of Audis R8, Fords GT, Ferraris, Porsches, Aston Martins ... don't see a Maserati, but I'm sure the Morgan would own any Maserati there also :D

Don't believe me? Watch:

[YOUTUBEHD]LaggJJOZhck[/YOUTUBEHD]

This was featured on Top Gear a while back.

But it looks different...
Anyone getting an E-Type vibe?

That was a restored Interceptor, but with a new engine and stuff made by a different company. This is actually a proper 'new' Interceptor, in the sense that it is a completely new car, sharing basically only the name and some styling.

I thought it was going to be about the Top Gear Mad Max Interceptor conjured up earlier in the year:

But these Jensen sketches don't look too bad, not a bad modern take on the original.

citroen-GT.jpg

Looks familiar... Or is it just me?

GT3 Morgans were BMW powered IIRC?

Also, according to WCF here, the company is Healey Sports Cars Switzerland... not exactley a British sounding name!

edit: CPP holdings who are going to be responsible for it, also own Bowler ... :D

DAMN! I thought you meant THIS Interceptor:

Ford_Interceptor.jpg

^ That is far beyond bad ass. That is past the subzero fridge and well into the next galaxy on the cool wall. It is even cooler than the Cadillac Sixteen which also needs to be built. I would love for Ford to build that concept...

Now on topic, the sketches look sweet so hopefully the final product will be at least half as good and double more reliable than the original.

I have massive doubts it would look like that.
I think they should just make them look exactly like the old interceptor but with newer technology

citroen-GT.jpg

Looks familiar... Or is it just me?

That's exactly what I thought if when I first seen it (the Jensen).
And I completely agree with the fact that they should just remake the original interceptor but with newer technology. If only they would last that long :D ...

I have massive doubts it would look like that.
I think they should just make them look exactly like the old interceptor but with newer technology

That thing I posted isn't meant to be a Jensen, it's meant to be a Ford for the new Mad Max movie they're making, I don't know if they're actually using it though.

Fair enough Ariel and Radical are pretty decent, but all other British manufacturers fall in comparison to their foreign rivals.

Really?

Sorry, you might not have caught any of that:

Lotus. Aston Martin. Jaguar. Land Rover. All of whom produce some of the best cars in their respective classes at the moment.

Plus all the classic sports cars I mentioned, without which most modern day roadsters probably wouldn't exist in their current form. Bang, no Boxster, Z4, MX5 et al. No Shelby Cobras without the AC Ace. Hell, even the Chevrolet Corvette was originally GM's response to British and European sports cars, so you can forget about the last half century of those too.

Anyway, back to the point; I would have more respect for the Interceptor if Jensen let it die with dignity instead of sucking up to other companies.

You're failing to explain what part of deciding to bring up the name of a classic GT is actually bad. If someone has rights to a name they can do what they like with it, and I'd rather them try and resurrect one of the classics than let the name rot in an intellectual property vault somewhere.

Lotus. Aston Martin. Jaguar. Land Rover. All of whom produce some of the best cars in their respective classes at the moment.

Those apparently don't count since they are owned by foreign companies. Despite all the design, engineering and manufacture being done in Britian.

Those apparently don't count since they are owned by foreign companies. Despite all the design, engineering and manufacture being done in Britian.

Exactly. Semantics can be argued upon but they're still essentially British car companies producing cars that are right up there with the best.

Volvo is owned by the Chinese now but it's still a Swedish car company...

Well, it's getting less swedish everyday....

JLR is a different story, the Indians inject the money and let the brits think the products, hence they're successful.

Pretty neat Interceptor concept.

Well, it's getting less swedish everyday....

For the better, they are going to make billions in the Chinese market designing Volvo's suited for that market and if it stayed the same just being popular in a few EU countries it would (did) go under.

JLR is a different story, the Indians inject the money and let the brits think the products, hence they're successful.

I don't agree with that statement at all. Brits = Successful could be more far removed from the truth when it comes to the UK motor industry as basically all British car companies went bust under their own steam. Foreign investment AND foreign design and engineering are needed to be globally successful. After all this is now a global market.

Many auto manufacturers have setup design centers in developing countries specially to gather local tastes influence future products and even Jag Land Rover are going to have TATA co developing their products in the future to appeal to those markets. Don't think for one second TATA just gave them cash and let them do what they like! they are going to want to be thoroughly involved in every product they produce.

Robin.

Latest Posts

Back