The McLaren F1... erh... P1 Thread

• Thread starter deba94
  • 719 comments
Canada
Ontario
Abread
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle.aspx?AR=259591
Official testing of McLaren Automotive’s new hypercar is now under way ahead of its 2014 launch. The spiritual successor to the iconic McLaren F1 aims to have the performance to eclipse every other hypercar, including the Bugatti Veyron, the upcoming Porsche 918 Spyder and the successor to the Ferrari Enzo.

This'll definitely be a car I'll be looking out for. McLaren has never failed to amaze me! :)

It's nice they tried to keep the front bumper design, the taller roof just looks like another veyron...

It's nice they tried to keep the front bumper design, the taller roof just looks like another veyron...
That image is in no way the official look of the car. It's a rendition by autocar of what they think it may look like. ;)

I doubt a car will ever be as well packaged as the McLaren F1 again, ever. It's the perfect car (except the slightly flawed rear suspension). Looking forward to seeing this beast though!

I'll wait till they refine the design more, then i'll see it =D. Not clicking on the link.

Car design's really low-baller... I wish designers these days didn't design just about every car with edgy, straight-edge, hard-cornered features...

It wont be as good as the original. That being said, if its half as memorable as the first, that is a massive accomplishment now days.

Mclaren's forgotten they also have the beat the SSC Tuatara which is aiming to be the fastest production car in the world.

As for looks I don't hold much hope, those guys wouldn't know style if it hit them on the head IMO.

Remember, that is Autocar's rendering, not McLaren's.

If it's really going to be the spiritual successor, then they need about the same Horsepower, or close to, as the Bugatti Veyron, then in traditional F1 spirit, gut the entire car to make it light. Extreme acceleration will be to had.

"The latest inside info is that the engine giving at least 815 bhp with an est weight of 2600 lbs.

-Efficiency Targets-

'P799'

+-79g/km

+799 nm

+799 bhp

+-1179kg

Laptimes? Well the GT3 version is said to follow up the 12C. Could that vehicle improve 2 sec on the standard car? PURE speculation from my side on this one.. 79-9 gives Chris Goodwin a laptime target of 70 seconds around Dunsfold:-) Improving 6 sec from the standard car could be an uphill struggle. "

From McLarenLife.com

I really wish websites would stop posting stupid renderings, because they are always horrible...

It'll be interesting to see the F1's true successor.

Mclaren's forgotten they also have the beat the SSC Tuatara which is aiming to be the fastest production car in the world.

As for looks I don't hold much hope, those guys wouldn't know style if it hit them on the head IMO.

The original F1 was never designed with top speed in mind, it was designed to be 'perfect' - its vast speed was merely a side effect of that. I'd expect the successor to be designed without the pointless willy waving in mind if McLaren want to stay true to the design philosophy of the F1.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/mclaren-mp4-12c-0/#2267839#photo-2267839

mclaren-mp4-12c-0

Just thought I'd leave this here for those who may need a side-by-side play.

DK.

The difference between that & this McLaren though is that the Mac. is going to be done properly & built for more than speed.

That's the major issue with SSC, Hennessey, & the rest of these 1-hit wonders. Their only goals in the automotive world are to beat the Veyron & that's it. They don't care about refinement & up until a couple years ago, did not care what kind of materials they used to dress up the interior. SSC was a huge culprit of this until the Aero's final years when they decided to make the interior somewhat respectable of a $300,000+ car. And as long as they continue to do this, their cars will never reach the levels of greatness that the F1 & Veyron have achieved. Even Koenigsegg is there now after having learned their lesson after the CCR & developed the car for more than speed.

I'm not specifically typing this towards you Robin, but more so towards the idea of McLaren having to beat SSC & whoever else. They don't; they'll sale this car just by the name of "F1 Successor" alone. And by those odds, they've already won half the "battle".

The SSC AERO was a speed queen and that's it. The tootatuara is not in the same category. They hired Castriota, FGS. It's supposed to be a proper hyper exotic from what has been shown.
What it actually ends up as, we have to wait and see.

I don't see what Castriota has to do with anything beyond designing an aerodynamic shape for it, which only seems to further my beliefs that's a speed queen, too.

The difference between that & this McLaren though is that the Mac. is going to be done properly & built for more than speed.

That's the major issue with SSC, Hennessey, & the rest of these 1-hit wonders. Their only goals in the automotive world are to beat the Veyron & that's it. They don't care about refinement & up until a couple years ago, did not care what kind of materials they used to dress up the interior. SSC was a huge culprit of this until the Aero's final years when they decided to make the interior somewhat respectable of a $300,000+ car. And as long as they continue to do this, their cars will never reach the levels of greatness that the F1 & Veyron have achieved. Even Koenigsegg is there now after having learned their lesson after the CCR & developed the car for more than speed.

I'm not specifically typing this towards you Robin, but more so towards the idea of McLaren having to beat SSC & whoever else. They don't; they'll sale this car just by the name of "F1 Successor" alone. And by those odds, they've already won half the "battle".

I think the press have over hyped this car like its the second coming and I was just thinking if Mclaren are really aiming for the speed record (among other things) the next SSC will be their closest competition.

I agree, Mclaren will more likely be aiming to make it an all round super car rather than a speed queen like those one hit wonders which are cobbled together in a shed with interiors from 90's Fords. The name and heritage will definitely sell it, unless they name it after another fax machine :lol:

However I think record speed should still be something they seriously consider because its a magical factor. It arguably gives the Veyron its magic.

Robin.

If it only has 800bhp then it isnt likely to be hitting 270mph, so I doubt it will brake the speed record, very much doubt. It will probably be the fastest/best road legal track car though, even though it certaintly has stiff competition if it wants to beat the Atom V8 and other similar cars.

I believe the current standards for insanely fast cars are set by the ones who corner very fast, even Lamborghini has caught up with the times, I don't believe it will even beat the current Veyron for sheer top speed.

But again, the extra 200hp advantage of the Bug is indeed awesome, but getting to the magical four-digits power figures demand compromises in cooling and drivetrain packaging which in turn results in extra weight and spoils the handling, the absolute opposite formulae of their current road car and previous F1.

The Big Macca will certainly be an even faster all rounder than the MP4-12C already is, expect it to be a contender to the future F70, not the Veyron or the Tuatara.

If it only has 800bhp then it isnt likely to be hitting 270mph, so I doubt it will brake the speed record, very much doubt. It will probably be the fastest/best road legal track car though, even though it certaintly has stiff competition if it wants to beat the Atom V8 and other similar cars.

If its super super light it might be able to with only 800HP. The original F1 was quite a spartan machine and you can be pretty sure it wont be Veyron heavy.

Weight isn't the issue though, its aerodynamics at that point. There is only so fast you can go before aerodynamics requires you to either reduce drag, increase power or both. Reducing drag likely means less downforce and increased power means more weight. So aiming for the top speed record in that way would reduce the cars track ability.

Add engine development to the list. All they do is (SSC) stick a crate engine into a vehicle :dopey:.

Back