The Return of the DeLorean

SuperShouden

(Banned)
SuperShouden
It is official: DeLorean will resume production in 2013...as an EV. It'll still be rear engine, but with 260hp and a top speed of 125mph, it'll be faster than the original DeLorean. The new one will also receive an updated chasis, interior and bunches of other things, but will retain it's original shape. Apparently there are still a plethora of old DeLorean bodies laying around.

But, before you get out your wallets and checkbooks, make sure you have an extra $100,000 in your account, because that's what one will cost you. Which is about twice as much as a "brand new", gasoline powered DeLorean will costs you today.

I'm more interested in where this will take DeLorean and what other vehicles will they produce.

Official story:
http://www.torquenews.com/106/new-electric-delorean-dmc-12-coming-2013

EDIT: Pics:

Interior:
2013-DMC-electric-delorean-2.jpg

Exterior:
DeLorean-Returns-Production-2013.jpg

Last edited:
That's a lot of money for what it is. I doubt many people other than collectors or hard core DeLorean fans are going to shell out on that.

Does it come with a flux capacitor?

My brother owned 2 Deloreans in the past (Not anymore since he's an AMG fanboy now)... And although its a head turner, the performance leaves much to be desired.... If they would put a crazy engine in that thing with drivetrain, etc to match it would be SSSOOOOO much cooler... :P I am curious if this one will be successful though.. :)

A top speed of 125mph? That's about 37mph more than neccessary :sly:

And I can't imagine it'd be very hard to charge either. Does anybody happen to know how long a lightning strike keeps a battery charged for? :P

I quite like the idea. The interior looks pretty good with the modern touchscreens in and a good re-trim.

It's hardly going to be a big seller but I guess it doesn't need to be - there are almost certainly enough people out there with enough money to not think twice about buying one, and it'll be an interesting alternative to a Tesla Roadster.

1.21 gigawatts of E.

Sounds like the requirement for your average illegal rave.

Now that is one EV I would like to drive. I sat in a DeLorean driver's seat before and they felt so good to be in. If I had the money I honestly would buy one. It would be great if the the owner made a deal with some manufacturers to create the car in a larger scale and cheaper. Though I'd like if the car's battery would last something along the lines of 300 highway miles before requiring a recharge.

Im not to exited about a electric Delorean ive been a fan of deloreans since 2004 ish and what id like to see is a real perormance model come out from them. add a new v6 400hp atleast replace the stainless panels with FRP or carbon fiber now that'd be somthing + some small styling revisions to the body . i hope the EV sells well at that price it may just make it i wonder if its a Testla underneith.

100,000 for an EV?

Ever heard of Fisker Karma?

And I believe the Tesla Roadster is about $125,000. So it's not unheard of.

Im not to exited about a electric Delorean ive been a fan of deloreans since 2004 is and what id like to see is a real perormance model come out from them. add a new v6 400hp atleast replace the stainless panels with FRP or carbon fiber now that'd be somthing + some small styling revisions to the body . I hope the EV sells well at that price it may just make it. I wonder if its a Testla underneith.

Actually, it'll be a Lotus underneath, as Lotus is providing a lot of the modernization for the suspension and other things. Let's hope it's safer than the original death trap.

Im not to exited about a electric Delorean ive been a fan of deloreans since 2004 ish and what id like to see is a real perormance model come out from them. add a new v6 400hp atleast replace the stainless panels with FRP or carbon fiber now that'd be somthing

There is a delorean for sale by DMC California with a twin turbo buick v6 and apparently over 500 horsepower.

As for replacing the panels with FRP or Carbon Fiber, it wouldn't save as much weight as you would think considering those just cover the outside of the car

Pictures of whats underneath the panels at the bottom

Should've just built A NEW model :ouch:. :yuck:.
People who are going to buy an EV DMC-12 will be buying it because it is a DMC-12. Building something, anything else and calling it a DeLorean would only hurt the car's chances of success.

Can anybody say that this would be a really awesome DLC? I can.
For GT5? I'd rather just have the S2 already in the game be made a Premium. That V6 sounds lovely with a sport exhaust.

Back