Dodge Dart: DEAD?

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 624 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
2013-dodge-dart-teaser-628.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/06/2013-dodge-dart-aims-for-center-of-compact-sedan-segment/

My opinion: Don't just dig up a name from the past because you think it's cool. If I wanted to buy a new Dodge Dart, I would want a RWD V8 powered coupe. When I hear the name "Dart", I don't think of a FWD 1.4L compact car.

👎 to Dodge for that.

I agree with you on that! I thought the Dart would have been something comparable to a Charger and a step up from an Avenger.

My opinion: Don't just dig up a name from the past because you think it's cool. If I wanted to buy a new Dodge Dart, I would want a RWD V8 powered coupe. When I hear the name "Dart", I don't think of a FWD 1.4L compact car.
I thought the original Dodge dart was a small sedan. Most often with the slant 6.

I thought the original Dodge dart was a small sedan. Most often with the slant 6.

However true, most people will imagine this:

dodge-dart%20(3).jpg

when you hear the name "Dodge Dart".

My dad had one just like the car pictured above, but it was forest green with a 383.

Dodge has been the worst at reviving old nameplates and designs. The designs of the cars are ugly and rarely follow the ethos of the original car and their performance gets kicked up and down the block by it's rivals.

I always harbored a special adoration for Darts. :(

It's actually much closer to what the old Dart was compared the the new/old Charger. From 1963-1976 it was a 4 door compact car(by 60's U.S. standard).

Dodge_Dart_4-Door_Sedan_1966.jpg

Anyways, from the teasers it look interesting.:ill:

Meh. There are plenty of other V8-powered RWD cars on the market. Dodge is aiming to sell cars. If reviving the nameplate and using an Alfa platform helps, then it's a good move.

It doesn't look too bad in the teaser images anyway and the Giulietta it's based on is supposed to be a pretty good car.

People are far too precious about car names.

If we really want to nitpick Dodge's naming schemes, they make at least four trim levels of the Dodge Charger R/T. One of them is the Dodge Charger R/T Road and Track. :odd:

Meh. There are plenty of other V8-powered RWD cars on the market. Dodge is aiming to sell cars. If reviving the nameplate and using an Alfa platform helps, then it's a good move.

It doesn't look too bad in the teaser images anyway and the Giulietta it's based on is supposed to be a pretty good car.

People are far too precious about car names.

The Mercury Cougar comes to mind here. And look how that went. :crazy:

I really don't think it's too difficult to come up with a new "cool" name for a compact car. Manufacturers have no imagination when it comes to car names anymore. They either come up with a random set of letters or pick one that they have already used. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it could be far worse. They could have called it Caliber.

I think they should have.

You know a car was mediocre when it runs for one generation and its replacement has a new name. I wonder how they'll market this.

You know, a plain, honest picture to go along with all the artsy/emo angles would be nice. Maybe a side view or a 3/4 or something, anything that shows the whole car. Instead you've got two shots of the rear end that show you nothing but taillights shaped like the new ones on the charger, and a shot of a headlight and part of a grille. Yeah...something a little more concrete would be nice.

I've noticed recently that when car companies release 'detail' shots like this and not a picture of the car itself, it usually means the car looks jumbled up, has bad proportions, or just looks weird; let's just hope the car itself looks okay.

You know, a plain, honest picture to go along with all the artsy/emo angles would be nice. Maybe a side view or a 3/4 or something, anything that shows the whole car. Instead you've got two shots of the rear end that show you nothing but taillights shaped like the new ones on the charger, and a shot of a headlight and part of a grille. Yeah...something a little more concrete would be nice.

I've noticed recently that when car companies release 'detail' shots like this and not a picture of the car itself, it usually means the car looks jumbled up, has bad proportions, or just looks weird; let's just hope the car itself looks okay.

It's called a "Teaser" for a reason. ;)

Here one of the rear
02-2013-dodge-dart-teaser.jpg

They should have called it the Hornet.That's what they called it when the spy pic. of it was out.
dodge-hornet-spy-shots-photos-1623659.jpg

Last edited:
The Mercury Cougar comes to mind here. And look how that went. :crazy:

I never said the cars had to be good, all I'm saying is it's just a name.

There was an almighty fuss on GTP when BMW looked like calling the 1M Coupe the "M1" from people who seem to think that a name is somehow sacred rather than just a bunch of numbers and letters used to sell a car.

Dodge Dart is no different. It was a fairly basic small sedan at the bottom of the food chain, most of which were sold with a slant 6. Basically, it was nothing special, and times have changed massively since your average economy car was fitted with a 6 or 8 so I still don't see the issue.

I really don't think it's too difficult to come up with a new "cool" name for a compact car. Manufacturers have no imagination when it comes to car names anymore. They either come up with a random set of letters or pick one that they have already used. :rolleyes:

People like the familiar. Most of this generation's buyers will neither know, nor care that it's a name revived from the past.

I think they should have.

The name "Caliber" is in people's recent memory, unlike Dart. If the original Dart was a pile of crap nobody would care because it's a distant memory (think the U.S's original experience with the Ford Fiesta - does the name put people off the new one? No). The Caliber was incredibly average and using that name is much more likely to put people off a new one.

Also, put it this way:

The people likely to be in the target market for the new Dart are unlikely to know or care much about the original. The only people moaning over the Dart name for the new car are people who will never buy the car in the first place, regardless of what Dodge called it.

And I spent 20 minutes looking for that quote, so you're welcome.

Who said that originally?

Here one of the rear...

They should have called it the Hornet.That's what they called it when the spy pic. of it was out.

From that post I get that it's going to have a cool front, OK rear, and a super bland side profile with a monster ride height.

And I agree, Hornet would have been a better name.

What's up with the ridiculous ride height of cars these days? Its one thing to have ground clearance, but another to have 4" of fender gap, too.

Thought I heard somewhere that there's a rule that they have to fit 2 sets of snow chains in there with no rubbing issues. Can't remember where I read that...

What's up with the ridiculous ride height of cars these days? Its one thing to have ground clearance, but another to have 4" of fender gap, too.

Lots of unpaved roads in this country.

I quite like cars with a bit of ride height sometimes. It implies there'll be a bit of ride quality to go with it, though of course there are exceptions to the rule.

That makes no sense.
No it doesn't. Then again, he is 13 and a musclehead. It makes sense that he would make a thoughtless post like that. If the name helps it sell then so be it. And it's not like they're putting a Daytona (the '69 one) sticker on it. Sure, the Dart was a performance car, but it wasn't as good as the Challenger or the Charger.

ParkourVeyron
No it doesn't. Then again, he is 13 and a musclehead. It makes sense that he would make a thoughtless post like that.

Always annoys me how I'm associated with people like this because I drive a 60's American car with a V8.

Erm I mean, I BLEED FORD BLUE!

Latest Posts

Back