• Thread starter richiem2282
  • 1,720 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.

richiem2282

F1 & WRC Fanatic!!!
Premium
richiem2282
Hey Guys, the WRC 2012 Season promises to be a great one, now that we have Ford back in the running's with Jari and Petter. Its gonna be interesting to see how Mikko gets on at Citroen now that he's Loeb's teammate and on a level playing field as far as the car. And as for Mini, I myself can't wait top see how they do, Sordo looked brilliant in 2011 and Meeke can only get better, great career ahead of him in the WRC.

Here's an update on Petter's transfer to Ford, roll on WRC 2012!!!

IRC Rally is also welcome on the thread, some great drivers and teams in that championship

http://www.ircseries.com/

Last edited:
Petter testing his new 2012 WRC Fiesta:

Looks like some seriously slippy conditions out there...

Last edited:
Another link for you guys, this YouTube channel has Videos of Rallies as far back as the 80's, lots of history for the WRC enthusiast to watch before the 2012 kicks off:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WRCforeva?feature=g-u

Enjoy

I have been subscribed to this channel for about 6 or 7 months. He puts up a bunch of the season reviews. He has put up from 1985 to 2002 or 2003. One of my favorites. I strongly recommend for every rally fan.👍

That's disappointing. Hopefully they can still get an extension and get their entry in - it will be for the better or everyone if there is another manufacturer in the season.
They said they'll be at the Monte. It appears they just need to straight out their internal management first.

Proton Satria Neos

Terrible car, has done absolutely nothing in IRC, its won the Asia-Pacific championship but thats because they're racing pretty much just group N cars and have decent drivers (McRae and Atkinson), they should start again from scratch, the Satria has been around for years doing nothing special. btw Andersson and Basso are decent drivers, with some changable conditions they could do ok.

Well, I'm pretty sure it's the Satria Neo. The article doesn't specifically say. I'm mostly just assuming it's the case because it's pretty much the only car Proton has that is capable of running in the SWRC.

News from iRally:

The FIA in its first public comment on the WRC situation for a fortnight has admitted that talks are under way with MINI to secure the iconic brand's participation in the 2012 WRC.

In a release a few moments ago, the FIA said it was "continuing discussions with the MINI WRC Team in the hope of reaching an agreement that will see it participate in a limited programme in 2012".

Earlier sources within Prodrive told iRally the uncertainty over global promoter North One Sport has led to MINI/BMW not submitting an Entry Form for the 2012 Manufacturers Championship by Monday's deadline.

The release also confirmed Manufacturer Entries for Ford and Citroen, plus a Team Entry with a Ford for Brazil's Paulo Nobre.

In a release a few moments ago, the FIA said it was "continuing discussions with the MINI WRC Team in the hope of reaching an agreement that will see it participate in a limited programme in 2012".

Whats the point of that? they've got a car that could mix it up with the Fords and Citroens in the championship and they're not even doing a full season?! This is looking like Suzuki in 2008 👎

Whats the point of that? they've got a car that could mix it up with the Fords and Citroens in the championship and they're not even doing a full season?! This is looking like Suzuki in 2008 👎

Strange, right... time will tell

Mini driver Kris Meeke just tweeted:
ever wonder what it would be like to have the girl you loved tell you shes leaving you to go work as a prostitute? #MotorsportCanBeDangerous

Doesn't sound very promising:(

It's not promising, from what I've heard across various Motorsport sites Mini will be running 10 rounds of the championship. That's the good(ish) news.

The bad news, Kris Meeke will not be at the season opener at Monte Carlo with Mini. He is being dropped to make way for a paid driver. Meeke will apparently remain with the Prodrive team for testing work and occassional drives. Considering BMW have virtually no budget for testing (blame DTM, and the WRC not appealing anymore) I can't see him driving much - or being particularly happy about the decision!

Disappointing.

EDIT: Here's a source for those who are interested - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96830

Mini are running 1 works driver each rally and a "local driver" (I'm guessing this means pay driver), this is simply because BMW have not give Prodrive near enough money, Prodrive have even been trying to find sponsors, this looks like a failed programme.

Pierre Campana will drive at Monte Carlo (he scored points in France last year in a Mini) and Richard Goransson (Former Swedish Touring Car Championship winner, races for BMW in TTA next year) will drive at Sweden.

That's a very dissapointing news. No wonder Kris Meeke is very angry... I can understand why BMW is pouring a lot of money for their DTM programme and at the same time as Speedster502 said, WRC is no longer that popular or very appealing to peoples eyes so it's not really worth it for BMW to pour in the same amount of money to Mini WRC.

It is a shame, but what BMW is doing currently is kind of not helping Kris Meeke and WRC to get back to what they were too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back