The Distracting Background Cars in Media Thread

MedigoFlame

Premium
United States
Maine
MedigoFlameX
Not sure if this thread has been created, however I do know there is a thread on cars in movies and television shows. Of course, they are the star cars of the show. But I hope to create this thread to see what interesting cars people find in the background of movies and television shows. Something that isn't a star car or just an interesting car in the background of a show...like Top Gear. :) Post any cars you found rather distracting during a show or movie that was in the background. And yes, animated cars are allowed as well. Also, comics and manga are also allowed. It just has to be a car that isn't mentioned at all or barely noticed in the film, comic, or tv show. And please post a picture of the car you are posting about.

So far I've only got one pic, but I couldn't help but make a thread for this. :lol: In the last week's episode of Top Gear US (Season 2 Episode 10, the Muscle Cars episode), I couldn't help but notice a stock looking Corolla GT-S, aka Trueno during the comparison test between the modern muscle cars in LA.
qkbqq.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have an image, but the driving simulator at my school has Peugeot 206s and Dodge Vipers, both of which are quite distracting for a petrolhead like me. The 206s might seem normal, but the simulated town is in the suburbs of Salt Lake City.

There is a recurring red S15 Silvia in initial D.
Also in Pulp Fiction, after Wolf goes away in his NSX and the hitmen go to the diner, there is a 180/240SX outside of the diner.

On the Initial D episode "The Rainy Downhill", I saw a white AW11 in one of the parking lot scenes, which stole my attention away from anything else.

I forgot to add, video game cars are allowed in this as well. You know...I should just change it to distracting cars in media/entertainment. :lol:

RE3 had a Delorean. >_>
5330810785_66ebb63056.jpg

In one of the episodes of Rob Brydon's Human Remains a yellow Ford GT40 drives past the window in the background. I'll try and find a clip...

I don't have an image, but the driving simulator at my school has Peugeot 206s and Dodge Vipers, both of which are quite distracting for a petrolhead like me. The 206s might seem normal, but the simulated town is in the suburbs of Salt Lake City.

A driving simulator in your school?! That sounds like the coolest school ever! One thing though, does it use a DS3 or a G27? :lol:

Those are non-stock seats in the Corolla, OP.

I saw an anime once that was in no way related to cars. There was a close relationship between the protagonist and his or her (I forgot) teacher, might have been a crush...? Anyways, the teacher often drove the student around, and the teacher's car was an AW11 white MR2 with the driver's seat as a racing seat with green Takata 4 point harness, and stock on the passenger side. Definitely a car fan somewhere in the show.

Edit: I'm going nuts trying to come up with this anime. Any help here? After thinking it over, I think it was a female teacher and a female student in a platonic relationship.

Edit: Found it, she was the singing manager for a young teenage girl, and I had it wrong, it was an SW20 MR2, and it was red. You can see it at 6:41 here, and you'll see she's got a 4 point harness and racing seat on the driver's side, and wears driving gloves, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NALlbTh4B8g&feature=related
20:50 here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3GJBFSvnsE&feature=related

Last edited:
A driving simulator in your school?! That sounds like the coolest school ever! One thing though, does it use a DS3 or a G27? :lol:

Actually, it uses a Crown Vic dashboard, complete with the same pedals and seat. It's adapted from a police training simulator. Unfortunately, it's a column shift auto and you only get to use it for three one hour sessions. And my drivers ed class was bad.

Dunno if this counts but I always notice these things.

1:15, moving away from the camera. I always thought it was a 599 but after viewing it again a year or so later I am not so sure.

I do love that in Anime. Though I don't watch a large variety as I used to, I still watch Detective Conan and read the manga. Love just spotting the cars in Detective Conan. :D

Though, too bad it doesn't list all of them... :indiff: I was amazed when I saw an Evo X and R34 GT-R in the manga. (R34 was driven by the elderly mother of one of the characters. :lol:)

Edit:
Dunno if this counts but I always notice these things.

1:15, moving away from the camera. I always thought it was a 599 but after viewing it again a year or so later I am not so sure.

Of course it counts! The car in question does seem more like an Aston Martin than a Ferrari. Maybe a Vanquish?

Last edited by a moderator:
The cars which have recently caught my eye have been in adverts.

The TK Maxx Christmas ad has a couple of interesting ones in, for example:

BMW E9 CS
tk2.jpg

Volkswagen Type 2 bay window
tk1.jpg

And then there's the Dolmio ad which has been running for a while now. This one is possibly even more interesting, given that it's a puppet animation, and someone has gone to the trouble of recreating what looks like an Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale for the background:

dol1.jpg

Cars 2 has a bunch of them:

BMW 2002:
i384747.jpg

Audi TT and Quattroporte:
i350286.jpg

240Z:
i350294.jpg

996:
i443154.jpg

Alfa Spyder, Ferrari F430, and Bentley Continental GT:
i407581.jpg

I can't find a pic or vid but I swear Cassandra in Only Fools and Horses had an early BMW E30 323i :D

Thought I'd bring this thread back... Couldn't help but notice while watching the chase scene in Ronin, a Nissan 240SX hatch. :D

I don't understand how this is distracting; a loud, red Ferrari or an Oscar Meyer Weinermobile would change the focus of the action sequence. Just because you spotted a Nissan 240SX doesn't make it something that shifts attention away from the main scene.

There's thousands of average automobiles that are used in movie chase scenes or scenes depicting traffic and commuting script characters, but being able to pick out a semi-sporty car out of the bunch is far from the definition of distracting.

Ever since dad bought his car, any movie or show where a first gen VW Cabrio pops up somewhere in the background really screws up scenes for me.

I just watched Wolf Children. Japanese Anime movie. They drew the vehicles very well. The car that stood out the most to me was a Suzuki SJ410. My dad had one but it was a single cab flat deck. I can't find any pictures of it yet. I think the movie is a recent release.

There is a recurring red S15 Silvia in initial D.
Also in Pulp Fiction, after Wolf goes away in his NSX and the hitmen go to the diner, there is a 180/240SX outside of the diner.

There is also a blue RX7 FB when they drop off the car at the junk yard, it's behind them on a truck. I saw it and then wondered what happened to the poor thing.

Honda CRX in Falling down, One of my favorite cars, i know its popular in USA, but over here not so much. Only seen 1 in the last few years.

i503648.jpg

Oddly, Venari and I were talking about spotting a red Mazda MX-3 in Die Hard With A Vengeance during the week:

i244393.jpg

The same car's in the film twice.

I don't understand how this is distracting; a loud, red Ferrari or an Oscar Meyer Weinermobile would change the focus of the action sequence. Just because you spotted a Nissan 240SX doesn't make it something that shifts attention away from the main scene.

There's thousands of average automobiles that are used in movie chase scenes or scenes depicting traffic and commuting script characters, but being able to pick out a semi-sporty car out of the bunch is far from the definition of distracting.

It's true that it's not something you'd immediately spot during a chase scene. But due to an interest I have in 240SXs, I couldn't help but notice it... The main point of this thread is for people to point out cars that would be of interest to themselves and maybe a distraction for them. It may not be something everyone would spot, but others it can mean something different. It's something distracting for an enthusiast, it doesn't have to be something that's loud and in your face as a red Ferrari.

Back