24h Le Mans Sarthe I in full A-Spec

With the real event coming next weekend, I thought it would be an appropriate thing to honor this great race by A-Spec'in this sucker in GT4.
I mean, piling up the license golds and getting all the cars is one thing. But to be a real racer, you just HAVE to win Le Mans. B-Spec is for whimps. To make it a complete experience, I'm using a Driving Force Pro with manual shifting. The only thing I adjusted was the Force Feedback to "weak" instead of "strong". Not because of me and my stamina, but more because I think the DFP can not take it...

So here I am, two hours into this race with my Minolta Toyota 88C-V, a 50 second lead and trying to recover a little.

Here's the lineup:

Nissan R92CP Race Car '92
Nissan R89CP Race Car '89
Sauber Mercedes C9 Race Car '89
Toyota GT-One Race Car (TS 020) '99
Mazda 787B Race Car '91
Minolta Toyota 88C-V Race Car '89

I started with SH on rear and H on front, but changed this at my second pitstop to M on the front. I think I could go soft as well, but I don't have them in stock. :ill:

I can get 5 laps out of my rubber, unfortunately the rest of the field is pitting later than me. Especially the Mazda is great in tyre wear. So I just have to push really hard to stay in front.
After the first few laps I was really uncomfortable with this, but in the end I found that I can gain a lot of time on the Mulsanne straight, so it seems to work.
The most funny thing happening so far was after my second pitstop. The Sauber blew past and I thought that I could not match his pace then. Suddenly I found him on the Mulsanne, standing (!) at the side of the track and I regained the lead. First I thought he had a fuel problem, but shortly after he was 7 seconds behind me again. So I guess he just blew it somehow. :dopey:

I still have a lot of problems with my consistency. This track is really a beast. You can lose your rear anytime when breaking, especially at the last corner after the Mulsanne and at the corners before the start/finish straight.

I'm looking forward to do this thing for the rest of the weekend and then hopefully during the week, because I want to finish it before the start of the real thing next saturday. My back is already hurting, so we will see. :scared:

I will keep you guys updated. Wish me luck.

Good luck. The real race begins later today for us. I was going to try and start at the same time, but I'll be on the move somewhat.

But goodluck with the race. I'll be doing it in auto.

7 hours into the race, 17 left to go.

I'm 2 laps ahead of the Sauber, 120 laps total on the clock. My back is still hurting and I'm losing my concentration, despite some sleep during the day. Gotta go to bed...

SteveMcQueen
7 hours into the race, 17 left to go.

I'm 2 laps ahead of the Sauber, 120 laps total on the clock. My back is still hurting and I'm losing my concentration, despite some sleep during the day. Gotta go to bed...

idea: dont do it all in one stint. have a few hours kip or something. if theres kids about though...erm...unplug the DF2 or something. does it stay calibrated??

bucket of water
with your oversteer - its because the tires offer two oppersite extremes in grip level, yes they may go off together, but you'ld be better off with H and SH.
Oh - thanks 👍 , will try this at my next pitstop. I always go "as soft as possible because of grip", but this sounds logic.

Just did one myself... well some of it, B-spec did the rest. Guess I'm a whimp then :yuck:

Anywho, me and a buddy is gonna drive another one during the real Le Mans, gonna start at precisely 4 pm. Thought about using the Mazda RX-8 LM Edition tuned with a stage 4 turbo. Did a couple of trial runs the other day. It's capable of 3.30.000 minute laps, which should in theory be fast enought, not sure about my co drivers driving skills though :) There just isn't much of a challenge in using the LMP cars, they are way to fast

Anyways I wish you God speed... those 24 hour racers can really be a b i t c h

Phew, about 12.5 hours into the race, have to catch a break and watch the Canada GP now. I tried to watch Moto GP today using PIP on my big screen TV, but my lap times dropped too far, so I skipped that experiment.

Comfortable 5 laps ahead of the Sauber, 212 laps completed. I think the Mazda is second and the Toyota must be last, but I'm not sure.
That's one of the things I don't like about GT4 Endurance: too less information during the race. It's dull as hell, so a little bit of entertainment would be nice. Like showing all current lap times of the other cars or maybe the chance to see somekind of a "highlight reel" when waiting in the pits with other cars overtaking each other....and I don't like it that it's always daylight in Sarthe. I mean, what's the point? Nightracing is included, they did it in the city track in Paris.

That tip with the hard tyres on front works fine. It took me about 6-7 laps to adjust to the increase in understeering, but it's more stable in tricky corners now.

I'm still surprised at how many mistakes I still do after more than 12 hours. Missing brake points, bad cornering, spinning on grass....

SteveMcQueen
...It's dull as hell...

Yeah, I would think so, but it would have to be different if you had 21 other cars on the track with you instead of just 5.

I'll never A-Spec this race in GT4, but if PD really does it right in the next version of Gran Turismo, the PS3 will allow them to put a big field in the race, get dark, and fill the pits with fully-animated people.

Doing it under those conditions, with a car that was not really any faster than the fastest AI, would be something that a lot of us might try to take on. Now that would be interesting.

Nice, I hope you can stand it and of course, win it 👍
I'll try to drive 24H Sarthes in about a week, I have calculated to drive about 6 hours in max per day (if I do not drink coffee too much and never become sleepy)

It's more conform to drive at nigth, because that sunny thin' in da sky will burn me like hell (I got my TV close to window, do'h)

Good Luck, but you don't need it, 'cuz you're winner :)

17 hours, 50 minutes. 9 laps in front, 304 laps completed. Fastest so far: 3:13.369

Boy oh boy, do I take a physical beating here. My sitting position in front of the DFP is fine for 10 lap splashes with a 400hp BMW, but not for 4 hour stints with a 800hp Minolta. My shoulder hurts, my wrist burns and my neck is becoming cramped, all followed by a slight headache.
I think if I would have gone with the Force Feedback set to "strong", my bones would be in pieces now.

yea! hang in there..............before you know it......your gonna have a really nice car to show off. :sly: I did both of the Sarthe races and they are a pain in the a#*s :yuck: but youll be glad when you win.

👍 :dopey: (you should win the audi R8 on Sarthe 1 and the Bentley Speed 8 on the 2nd one) :) 👍

This is part fiction, but based on my current running in the 24hrs. of Le Mans I in GT4.

I'm running Le Mans right now. I decided to sign with Audi Sport Team Joest and drive their siver and red R8 #1 (stock, w/oil change). Currently 11 hours, 26 minutes in.

Standings
1. Audi Sport Team Joest - Audi R8 #1 (us)
2. Sauber Mercedes - Sauber Mecedes C9 #63
3. Pescarolo Sport - Playstion Pescarolo C60 Judd # 18
4. Team Bentley - Bentley Speed 8 # 7
5. Nissan Motorsport - Nissan R390 GT1 # 32
6. Panoz Motorsports - Panoz Esperante GTR-1 # 4

We're winning by 3 laps over the Sauber and are on pace to set a new team record. I'm switching off with Jesse James and a few of my friends who also signed with Audi Sport Team Joest. It's hard to communicate with the pit crew as all they speak is german. However, with the help of a translator, we are communicating and working together like a team.

BTW - Good luck in your attempt A-Speccing it all 👍 I could never do a feat like that.

Alright, the time is 9:58 AM and WE HAVE WON! 410 laps, a new team reocrd! 👍 The podium celebration is just getting underway and a new contract with the team is about to be signed!

THE RESULTS
1. Audi Sport Team Joest - Audi R8 #1
2. Sauber Mercedes - Sauber Mercedes C9 #63
3. Pescarolo Sport - Playstation Pescarolo C60 Judd #18
4. Team Bentley - Bentley Speed 8 #7
5. Nissan Motorsport - Nissan R390 GT1 #32
6. Panoz Motorsports - Panoz Esperante GTR-1 #4

BTW - How's it going with your attempt? Any way, I'm cheering you on :cheers:

torque998
BTW - How's it going with your attempt? Any way, I'm cheering you on :cheers:
20,5 hours gone, 350 laps completed, 11 laps lead. Nothing special to report. Tomorrow will be my last stint.
My oil light is on since about 15 laps, which reminds of the fact, that I forgot to change oil before the race... :ouch: But lap times and top speed seem to be the same like before.

Let's see if I can match your 410 laps! :cheers:

You should be definitely be able to beat my 410 laps, since you're running all A-Spec, and A-Spec drivers are always fater than their B-Spec counterparts. So you should easily be able to beat my 410 laps.

Anyway, good luck on the rest of your race. :cheers:

people.... :indiff: my bad....I only beat the Sarthe 1 :indiff: ......... but now im gonna try the 2nd one :) . but i have a ?. Im thinking adout using the R92CP 💡 but every time I race against it.....it always gets last :confused: :crazy: . But I think im a 10 times better driver than the comp :sly: .....so wat should i do. Use my R92CP :nervous: , my R8 :) ......or the easy way and use my F1 :lol: ...lol just joking :lol:

👍 FINISH LINE! I DID IT! 👍

5 days, 24 hours net playing time and 413 laps later I can claim the win for the 2005 Le Mans 24 hours. And after all of this, all I got was a yellow R8 and lousy 10 A-Spec points.

To borrow a quote from the movie "Bladerunner": "It was a MAN's job....." :sly:

The final results:

Minolta Toyota 88C-V Race Car '89
Sauber Mercedes C9 Race Car '89 +14 laps
Mazda 787B Race Car '91
Nissan R92CP Race Car '92
Nissan R89CP Race Car '89
Toyota GT-One Race Car (TS 020) '99

I can honestly say, I was going flat for 24 hours straight.

Thanks to...
- you people here in this thread for keeping me motivated :)
- my girl, for staying cool, despite walking around and shaking her head for 5 days in disbelief
- the northern bavarian power supply for no breakdowns
- the DFP for not failing
- the PS2 for not overheating

Please do me a favor and tap a little on my shoulder, thank you very much... ;)

Im 6 hrs and 45 min in and its killer on my back :ouch: . Im in the lead :sly: except that stupid R92CP is about 2 min and 50 sec behind :scared: and I just cant lap him!!!!!! :grumpy: im at lap 117 :)

:sly:I just finished the Sarthe Race 2 in full a-spec :) :) . It was rough on my mind and my back :ouch: .....but it was worth it 👍 . One thing that really confused me was the fact that the old GT40 Race Car was racing against me ( Audi R8) and some other really fast cars :confused: . Anyway.............this is my story(at leat some of it :lol: ). Line up: 1st place was the ford GT40 64', 2nd was the Puegot 905, 3rd was the Jaguar XJ-R9 Race Car, 4th was the Mazda 787B,5th was the Nissan R92CP 92', and 6th was me.....the red and silver Audi R8 01'. Right from the start I was worried :nervous: . So I finally get ahead and Im alredy some what tired :indiff: . Its about 10 laps in and I have passed the GT40 3 times!! :confused: :lol: !!Then I had to get off the computer so I wouldn't be distracted with putting up information.I was 6 hrs and 45 min in and its killer on my back :ouch: :banghead: . Im in the lead except that stupid R92CP is about 2 min and 50 sec behind :scared: and I just cant lap him!!!!!! :grumpy: . i was at lap 117 and still going ;) . Anyway about half way through I was finnally a lap ahead of the R92CP :cool: . Every one except the GT40 were about 2-5 laps behind :D . The GT40 was about -46 laps!! :lol: !!! :crazy: So im at the last hour and I realize that I only have 1 square left of fuel :scared: :scared: :scared: and im not even half way through the course!! :dunce: But I got through and still in the lead :sly: . Well at the end of the race,everyone had a descent time except the GT40....ill tell you that later. So my time was 24:02:10 :sly: and I had finished 436 laps :drool: and was proud of it. I dont remember how many points that I earned but I just won 1,000,000 :D :D dollars and it gets better :sly: . I scored jackepot and won the Bentley Sped 8 Race Car 03' :drool: . My jaw dropped and I bowed :bowdown: . The end standing were as follows.Audi R8 01' 436 laps at 24:02:10 :sly: , Nissan R92CP 92':-2 laps :eek: , Mazda 787B:-5 laps :P , Jaguar XJ-R9:-11 laps :embarrassed: , Puegot 905:-14 laps :embarrassed: , Ford GT40:-90 :confused: :lol: :( :yuck: :odd: LAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well there you have it. That is my 24hr experience :) . And I am definatly up to do it again. my tyres were racing hard in the front and racing super hard in the rear. I pitted about every..........8 laps ;) :embarrassed: . Hopefully you will try this soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers: :bowdown: :cool: :lol: ;) :D 💡 👍

Yes, but I don't feel for doing it, waste of time.
B-spec to rescue! 💡

Ive had an idea...i dont have much time on my hands either, I can only leave my PS2 on overnight for 1 night at the most, and thats with fans and ventilation underneath. Soo...in the real race, noone does the full 24hour race do they? In the old days they had 2, and now they have 3 drivers per car, all running 2-3 hour stints each. So my theory is that if I run a 3 hour stint, then I can put on the B-spec driver for another 3 hours (3x sped up meaning it only takes 1 hours in real life) then switch back...see my thinking? This would be more realistic, after all in the real race when someone gets out and has a rest another driver carries on the race, rather than the situation we see on here a lot where a guy races for 3 hours, rests, comes back and hasn't completed any more of the race in that rest period. Plan, non? I'm not too bothered about A-spec points, as I think you loose them when you run part of a race B-spec right?

Back