Mini John Cooper Works GP - Fastest Mini ever? Announced

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 32 comments
Absolutely ridiculous. It looks like a child has designed it! It'll be insanely overpriced too.

Really all it is, is an update of the previous JCW Works GP:

KK2T0733.jpg

That model was a bit OTT but generally pretty excellent. This one is based on the uglier, newer MINI, and will doubtless be even better and even more OTT.

One of those cars that's better to drive than it is to be seen in.

I guess one can always remove the decals. :D Should be an excellent drive though (of course I'm a sucker for hot-hatches), but I guess only the real hardcore Mini-fans will shell out for this (if any).

Really all it is, is an update of the previous JCW Works GP:

*old MINI JCW GP*

That model was a bit OTT but generally pretty excellent. This one is based on the uglier, newer MINI, and will doubtless be even better and even more OTT.

One of those cars that's better to drive than it is to be seen in.

A friend of my mum's has one of them and it's pretty awesome, and is meant to be pretty quick.

The new one is pretty ugly, although it may be those horrible stickers. Bet it goes fast though... :drool:

Meh, its still the 1.6, the large on the outside, small on the inside, non-british hot hatch that I never liked. When it first came out tuners had it up to 275BHP, so I laugh at the 214/220 odd this'll be. Even if it were 250; meh.

Give me a super mini, Mini, with a 1.5 or less, and let it be just as practical, or more than the current car, at a more competitive price, then I'd be interested. EDIT: See VW Polo GTI

Or, give me a true C-segment hot hatch, with a 2.0+ engine, with about the same size or slightly larger, but this time with the practicality to boot, then I'd be interested as well. EDIT: See VW Golf GTI

What's may more important than the decals (which is a matter of taste anyway and are optional) is the cancelation of the rear seats.

Meh, its still the 1.6, the large on the outside, small on the inside, non-british hot hatch that I never liked. When it first came out tuners had it up to 275BHP, so I laugh at the 214/220 odd this'll be. Even if it were 250; meh.

It still has to be covered by a factory warranty, I can tell you right now those MINI's pushing that much horsepower had some serious issues with everything.

As for the GP, it'll be overpriced for sure but I still want one. I miss my MINI, it was such a fun car to drive.

I still can't get my head around a top-class manufacturer creating such an awful looking front bumper. It's worse than aftermarket design. That lower intake is just placed there with no thought for the execution.

And it's not like they didn't have time too think about it. The car is too complex for its own good. The JCW should be built to order like when first introduced.

Any reason you'd pick one over Focus ST or RS?

Other than overall interior quality and size, I can't really think of a reason. The Focus has more power but it's also a larger car. And while I think the RS is a really good car, for the price I think I'd rather just get into a Mustang. The real problem with the JCW is the Fiesta ST, which is not much larger and not that much down on power...but is something like $10,000 less, which leaves enough money for you to get a Ford Racing or Steeda tune on it and have just as much power along with two more doors and a slightly more usable backseat.

I really like MINI's and I do really like the new JCW, it's just the price tag on the thing is stupid.

Mini's cost too much, even in relation to BMWs they are expensive.

The Paceman JCW was More expensive then the M135i when it came out which is Insane, given it's smaller, less powerful and has less quality then a proper BMW.

Last edited:
The is only high because BMW choose to cram everything in their cars. If only they kept the size of the Mk1. Would have been more of a marvel how they could get new tech that small of a small package.

The is only high because BMW choose to cram everything in their cars. If only they kept the size of the Mk1. Would have been more of a marvel how they could get new tech that small of a small package.

They can't. Passive safety regs and all that.

Of course. And for BMW to make the Isetta, it's ironic. Then there are cars like the Caterham and CrossBow. The MX-5 is pretty much the same size as the NA after 25years.
And original Mk1 Mini is what, half the size of NA Miata, which pretty much underlines the lack of safety. If you manage to crash a Mk1 Mini, you're impaled by steering column while remains of your face are integrated to the object you collided with.. Be it paperbag or brick wall. That is probably why I see Mk1 Minis doing highest possible speed everywhere, they know that they'll die in a crash and don't give a damn.

They can't. Passive safety regs and all that.

Not only that but to keep the MINI where it needs to be cost and price wise they now stretch the MINI over the BMW UKL Platform, which is for Small cars, but not tiny cars. I'm not one for thinking that MINI's should still be tiny, cramped, unsafe, tin cans like the old ones were... but I'll admit that the latest standard hatch does look a bit like a fat man in a skinny fit suit.

This is one of the reasons why they are looking at joint ventures with Toyota, so they can build a compact, lightweight and safe tiny car platform cost effectively. Then we'll see a proper small MINI again.

Unsafe describes every car that isn't a Mercedes, built before 1990. :sly:

Seriously, this concept
18n5cl3cwbxoajpg.jpg

is a start.
The new MINI doesn't have to be about the 'S'. Just keep it lightweight and fun.

Back