GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 74 : Tricky Little B*%#+ !

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 173 comments

Gravitron

GTP WRS Race Admin
United States
Seattle
GTP_Gravitron
wrstitlestimetrials.png

GT5 Week 74 : Tricky Little B*%#+ !

gt5logo.png

Hotlap Event in Arcade Mode Time Trial

ClubmanStageRoute5_13.jpg

Peugeot 207 GTi '07

ClubmanStageRoute5_6.jpg

Clubman Stage Route 5

ClubmanStageRoute5_1.jpg

:: Only Open to Qualified GTP_Registered Members ::

:: Members are not obligated to take part ::

Race Details:

• Mode: Arcade Mode : Time Trial
  • Track: City > Clubman Stage Route 5
  • Car Type: Arcade Only > Premium
  • Make: France > Peugeot
  • Model: 207 GTi '07

Vehicle Specifics:

• Power: 172 HP (Stock)
  • Weight: 1260 kg (Stock)
  • Transmission: Optional
  • Skid Recovery Force Aid: OFF (Those Found using this Aid will be DQ'd) - Be Careful - The Setting for This Aid is Whatever You Used Last - Be sure it's set to 'Off'
  • Tyre Type: Comfort Softs (N3) Front / Comfort Hards (N1) Rear
  • Other Aids (Traction Control, Active Steering, and ASM): Optional
  • Grip Reduction on Track Edge: Optional
  • Mechanical Damage: Optional
  • Controller Steering Sensitivity: Optional
  • In Event Tuning Settings: Optional (If Available)

Race Specifics:

• The car used for this race is from the "Arcade Only" Section. Do Not use a car from the "Favorites" Section.
  • The event MUST be run using your GTP_Tag Account
  • The use of the clutch that is found on the G25, G27, and other high end racing wheels is strictly prohibited.
  • No Contact with walls or other objects. Any contact with walls, no matter how minor, will result in a DQ.
  • All surfaces are track.

Steward's Comments:
This combo came to both EDK and MadMax86, separately, around the same time, with no coordination/communication. :eek: We must do it.

Viewing your T1 & T2 Lap Time Splits:

• You need to make sure you save the 'Save Best Lap Replay' (ghost replay), not the 'Save Replay'
  • To view your best lap replay, go to 'My Home' and watch the replay from there using the 'Replay Theater' option.
  • While Viewing Your Replay, Choose the "Live Timing Monitor" To View Your Sector Times
  • To post your T1 and T2 Splits, simply post the sector times that are shown in the live timing monitor.
  • The WRS Fetchbot has been updated and will now add your splits together!

pb060041mt3.jpg

Save best lap / ghost replay icon

ClubmanStageRoute5_7.jpg

Standard Clean OLR Rules:

• At least two tires in contact with track at all times.
    • In situations where contact with the track is not possible because tires are airborne (above the ground), then the run is only legal if at least two tires would have made contact with the track if the car were not airborne.
    • If track contact cannot be 100% determined, then consider it dirty.

• Rumble/ripple strips are part of the track
  • No contact with walls or objects, visible or invisible
  • If you're not 100% sure that your lap is clean, then consider it dirty
  • No hybrids
  • No cheating of any kind,these are relaxed races and we are experienced racers, we know what times can be done,and we can read your mind.We will know.
  • Nothing that goes against the spirit of the rules
  • Save your best lap/ghost replay

Thread rules:

The following information cannot be discussed in this thread (they can, however, be discussed via other private conversation methods
):
  • Total Lap Time
  • Any information which can be used to infer your total laptime

The following information can be discussed in this thread
:
  • T1 & T2 times
  • Any settings discussion.

Number of Splits: 2

ClubmanStageRoute5_11.jpg

Submission:

All submissions must be sent by PM (Subject title: GTP_WRS Week 74 Submission ) to (WRSFetchbot):

• Please submit your time in the following format on a single line:
    Time: X'XX.XXX
    (Example-) Time: 1'10.100
  • Users can ask the bot for the current submitted time by sending a message with the body: "get entry"
  • Users can delete their submitted time by sending a message with the body of "remove entry".
  • If multiple times are submitted, only the last submission will be counted.
  • Please include in your submission PM your final lap time
  • The deadline is Monday, July 16th, 2012 11:59pm GMT
  • If you are unsure of the deadline try this site

Why Use GMT?:

GMT is World Time and the basis of every world time zone which sets the time of day and is at the centre of the time zone map. GMT sets current time or official time around the globe. Most time changes are measured by GMT. Although GMT has been replaced by atomic time (UTC) it is still widely regarded as the correct time for every international time zone.

Time verification:

Save your ghost replay and keep it at least a full two weeks after the event's deadline:

• Racers, named by the OLR Admin staff, (if any) will be required to submit a replay for verification
  • Any submitted time is subject to a time verification request
  • When a time verification has been requested, the concerned racer must provide the correct replay within seven days of the request
  • Failure to do so will result in the removal of the unverified submission from the results table
  • Video replays are not accepted as a form of verification

ClubmanStageRoute5_14.jpg

Good luck, :gtplanet:
OLR Team

Last edited:
No-one running this week then? :odd:

I thought I'd hate this to be honest (FWD and me don't usually get on too well) but its a pretty good laugh. Only run a few laps to have a rest from the R10 but I'll kick it off with:

C'mon now guys, get stuck in. :)

The sloped face white conc curbs that are about 6" high on the inside of the track as you go into the tunel, are those counted as DQ impact if you don't hit the guard rail?

The sloped face white conc curbs that are about 6" high on the inside of the track as you go into the tunel, are those counted as DQ impact if you don't hit the guard rail?

Those on the right in this picture?

ClubmanStageRoute5_1.jpg

Sorry I been running on the wrong track ......... lol :dunce:
Later on as I was looking at the leader board it hit me, "the wrong track is pictured on the leader board" oh well at least I'm ok now :)

------------------- Found the correct track :lol: ---------------------

T1: 23.139
T2: 19.037

T1: 22.981
T2: 18.905

T1: 23.046
T1: 18.734

Last edited:
No-one running this week then? :odd:

I thought I'd hate this to be honest (FWD and me don't usually get on too well) but its a pretty good laugh. Only run a few laps to have a rest from the R10 but I'll kick it off with:

C'mon now guys, get stuck in. :)
I hope "a few laps" was more like 40 :lol:

I put in a good 45mins and was able to almost match you. Unless I'm doing something drastically wrong I'd say you are off to a great start already this week 👍

Saw a couple of low 22.5's and I know I easily lost .1 in T1 - T2. I see a few tenths to be "realistically straight forward" to get, after that I have no idea :lol:

How much fun is the first and last 2 corners?? I was watching my ghost and I had the 207 4 wheel drifting the first turn with the inside front running the white line around the whole corner :crazy:

Last edited:
It looks like tires on the back of the car but it sure feels like casters...

T1: 23.395
T2: 18.854

Gave it another hour and improved .15 in the last sector, however I just can't seem to find any more time in the other part of the lap?? :lol:

Really struggling with the tight turn after T1.

The next lap I nailed the left kink in T1 and got a 22.41x :eek:, easily .15 faster than anything I had seen yet, however promptly buggered the rest of the lap up :lol:

My first runs were more solid than I thought....

Edit:

Bit more off at the line again... Still .17 off my "technical best"

Last edited:
Just done 10laps and here are my splits. Was being careful with the last corners just so I could get this base time in.

T1: 23.493
T2: 18.965

Long way off you guys.

I hope "a few laps" was more like 40 :lol:

I put in a good 45mins and was able to almost match you. Unless I'm doing something drastically wrong I'd say you are off to a great start already this week 👍
Hey Dion, nice of you to join us for a week :cheers: It was about 15 laps or so (20 mins) and it seemed to be going ok.... :sly:

The next lap I nailed the left kink in T1 and got a 22.41x :eek:, easily .15 faster than anything I had seen yet, however promptly buggered the rest of the lap up :lol:
Mental sector 1, that. 👍 Best I've seen so far is 22.499. Time for the Zen approach (pick a line, close eyes...)

Nothing on this morning so decided to have another bash at this and it took 30mins before I got anywhere near my time from yesterday, then I beat my lap by 0.1, then by 0.2, then by 0.5 :crazy: Mostly in the last sector, which is semi-Zen. :P

The symmetry of the matching decimals is also in kepping with the Zen nature of the lap, so I'm leaving it there for today. :cool:

I pretty much 'hate' this combo, it doesn't suit my 'smooth' driving style at all..

T1: 22.557
T2: 18.497
Somehow I got a good second sector but I'm still lost with these tyres on this car.
I don't feel 'it'.:P

Oh and good to see you Dion.👍

I pretty much 'hate' this combo, it doesn't suit my 'smooth' driving style at all..

Funny, when I tested it with these compounds, I thought it rewarded smoothness. There are certain parts of the track where you really need to keep the car in check and maintain grip, and just yanking the wheel was not going to work.

Are you thinking a mad drift around the track in every turn is the fastest way, or are you posting with tongue in cheek?

Oh, and BTW - Good to see you here, Dion. 👍

EDK
Funny, when I tested it with these compounds, I thought it rewarded smoothness. There are certain parts of the track where you really need to keep the car in check and maintain grip, and just yanking the wheel was not going to work.

Are you thinking a mad drift around the track in every turn is the fastest way, or are you posting with tongue in cheek?

Should have explained that a little bit more I guess.

I'm correcting the car through all of the turns, I can't just turn in once and then smoothly use less steering angle accelerating out of the corning. On these tyres I'm just turning as much as I can then countersteering when it's needed. It's not really a nice feeling and I'm not getting a lot of feedback from the car/tires either.
A drift is not the fastest way (I think).:scared:

Now I think about it.. maybe a smooth driving style is the fastest way but I'm not getting enough feedback from the car. I have no idea when the rear tyres are on it's limit and the car is about to oversteer.

But this is all probably just me.:sly:

Should have explained that a little bit more I guess.

I'm correcting the car through all of the turns, I can't just turn in once and then smoothly use less steering angle accelerating out of the corning. On these tyres I'm just turning as much as I can then countersteering when it's needed. It's not really a nice feeling and I'm not getting a lot of feedback from the car/tires either.
A drift is not the fastest way (I think).:scared:

Now I think about it.. maybe a smooth driving style is the fastest way but I'm not getting enough feedback from the car. I have no idea when the rear tyres are on it's limit and the car is about to oversteer.

But this is all probably just me.:sly:

That makes sense.

It might just be that I've run enough of these staggered compound combos, and get along well enough with the C tires, that I have a different perspective. But I also like the idea of simple track layout combined with tricky to drive car, as you guys might have noticed. ;)

Its a good combination Kevin. 👍 I'm glad I was wrong in my first estimation and am really enjoying this so far. Steering sensitivity is paramount though so if you're not getting the feel from your wheel Wes, its a devil of a job.

Lost a tenth off my earlier 3rd sector but finding a decent rhythm over the track as a whole now.

Last edited:
Guess i'll kickstart the D2's. This combo is well titled ;). After 30 laps, I thought I maxed out and then came this beaut. Was over .5 faster then PB through 1 and 2, then gave up .3 in T3.

Great splits Chris, I'm amazed you could get a good rhythm with this combo. I certainly don't have a rhythm.. but good enough splits for now.

T1: 22.470
T2: 18.536
My only .4 T1 so far..

Great splits Chris, I'm amazed you could get a good rhythm with this combo.
Thanks Wes. Nice splits yourself.. 👍 Who needs rhythm eh? :sly: I'm amazed as well to be honest, I thought I'd be useless at this. :dopey:

Only up 0.003 at the line so lost about 0.3 off my best 3rd sector. Seeing plenty of .4 1st sectors now but nailing that right hander after the T1 split is tricky... this is my best 2nd sector by 0.05

New splits.

Newer splits.

Last edited:
I don't think I've done a combo with different compound tires front and rear.

Should be interesting when I get to it later in the week, which will likely be Thursday.

I don't think I've done a combo with different compound tires front and rear.
Loads of fun - it changes the handling from lots of understeer to neutral when on-throttle and lots of lift-off oversteer. 👍 Smooth and gentle on steering and brakes.

Here's my (traditional?) sector 1 video:

BB 3/3 ABS 10

Thankzz "V" I thought this was a distance play and you nailed it. Just amazing 👍

I got a pretty good grip on Sec 2 but Sec 1 is a little bit touchy.

T1: 22.988
T2: 18.538

Sec 3 is still a gamble since it's either bog through the last turn or drop a gear and loose the mo. :crazy:

------------------------------ Update :) ----------------------------------------
I just figured out Sec 3 and blasted 3/10z off my OT :lol:

T1: 22.945
T2: 18.566

Last edited:
Hey Dion, nice of you to join us for a week :cheers: It was about 15 laps or so (20 mins) and it seemed to be going ok.... :sly:

Mental sector 1, that. 👍 Best I've seen so far is 22.499. Time for the Zen approach (pick a line, close eyes...)
:lol: Zen approach is working for me in the last 2 corners I can tell you that, really enjoy those two.

Oh and good to see you Dion.👍

EDK
Thanks Chris, Wes and Kev :cheers: 👍

Only up 0.003 at the line so lost about 0.3 off my best 3rd sector. Seeing plenty of .4 1st sectors now but nailing that right hander after the T1 split is tricky... this is my best 2nd sector by 0.05
Very nice T1 - T2 👍,

Do you mind giving a quick description of how you are taking that tight corner after T1?? I just can't figure out how to do it :crazy:.

Im braking about where the bridge thingo is and then just before turn in I coast (while still washing off speed) then sorta getting the car to clip the apex and powering out.. but I can rarely hit the apex and its so easy to brake to late or early and just loose tenths at a time!

Very nice T1 - T2 👍,

Do you mind giving a quick description of how you are taking that tight corner after T1?? I just can't figure out how to do it :crazy:
Thanks mate, its going quite well thus far.... :)

OK, that corner - braking at the bridge thingy (or thereabouts), ideally from the middle of the track if sector 1 has worked out right. Gentle trail braking almost to the apex then straight back on the power. Apex speed 48mph. To nail it right, you need to get as straight as you can for the next right hander before you get on the power so you don't have to put much steering angle in. The key really is getting a good exit from the last right hander in sector 1 so the car isn't too far over to the left. Hope that helps a bit... not a very eloquent description I'm afraid. :indiff:

Back