Motor Racing as An Olympic Sport - How?

• Thread starter Earth
  • 140 comments
Motorsport as an Olympic event would always be controversial, largely because the sport depends on an engine, and engines can break. It would hardly be fair if a competitor was eliminated simply because of an engine fault. That said, the equestrian events see competitors riding horses, and although the horses are trained, they can still think for themselves. Everything that happens in an engine is a result of physics.

I could only see it working if it was styled as a spec series, probably using karts. It would only be open to amateur competitors - no-one who has raced in a professional series would be elegible to enter. The karts themselves would have to be owned and controlled by the IOC, and at the end of each race, placed into parc ferme and taken apart to ensure they are in working order. Competitors would be randomly assigned a chassis and engine combination before each event took place.

As for the event itself, there would be no qualifying. Rather, races would be contested between four or six drivers at any one time (though this number would be fixed so that there would be four drivers in every race, or six drivers in every race). The circuit would have to be designed with a straight long enough to negate any advantage gained from starting position. At the end of the race, the top two (if there are four drivers) or top three (if there are six) competitors progress to the next round. The races themselves would have to be long enough to allow the competitors to actually race one another, but not so long that the karts can break.

Why does it need be open to only amateurs? We dont use amateur Olympic swimmers,amateur runners, amateur basketball team, gymnast? Whats the point?

Most countries have top drivers. Isnt that the point. Represented by your best talents.

Olympic motorsport should be a spec car but driver should be able to be pros.

The karts can be made by the same manufacturer but i dont believe there is any need to be picky about it. Buy 30 karts of the same make and model. If there are some small unpreventable mechanical difference so be it. Humans aren't exactly genetically equal either. Michael "lazy" Phelps vs Ryan "industrious" Lochte.

I think Rally would make a perfect Olympic Sport. Use the British rules, and it'd be like an exhibition race for the guys. I mean, it's already an international sport. And they should do a single-make road race in cars built in the host country...I don't know how Rio would work that one out, but, hey, it's a thought.

I wouldn't use karts personally, as that gives an automatic advantage to drivers who have alot of experience with them. I would choose something like an every day Toyota Camry fitted with safety upgrades like a roll cage. All the cars would be completely spec and identical, with a random draw deciding who drives which car each round.

Any driver would be allowed, professional or amateur, as long as he qualified in earlier heats pre olympics

Should it be time trial focused like most olympic events are or should they let them race together, raising the possibility of one driver taking someone else out?

Initially, to avoid controversy, I would make the event a time trial, with only one car on course at time. The course would have to be not too small or not too big, around 1.5 miles in length would be ideal. I wouldn't mind it even being a street course based somewhere in the host city. But that opens the possibility of weather interfering with the results of a time trial

Nah. Keep it simple and cheap, but also somewhat sporty- Do Mustangs or Caterhams, or even Super 2000 Touring cars. Mostly stock, only safety upgrades, and have them regulated by the IOC.

Outside of karts, I think motorsport would be a bit expensive for the Olympics. For Soccer, all you need is a ball ($40), and a stadium which will already be rented for other events.

Racing? Well, pick the circuit(Or build one, a la Race of Champions) rent it out, insurance, technical team to maintain each car, spares, fuel, tyres.

Cycling gets away with it because you bring your own bike. But bringing your own car could get controversial.

Why does it need be open to only amateurs?
Because its inclusion would be controversial to begin with. Motorsport would have to prove that it is a viable Olympic sport, and if countries are only going to send the Lewis Hamiltons and Fernando Alonsos of the world, there's no point to holding it. By rights, all of those other sports should be limited to amateurs as well. That's the way the Olympics was founded - competitors are not permitted to accept any money from sponsors in order to compete.

I don't see any way that they could implement it.

First of all, with the current games pegged at a maximum limit, they would have to remove something to implement something. While there are certainly things that I don't think have much of a place in the Olympics (BMX...), they certainly still fit the "theme" a lot better than a motor racing event. I have much respect for professional race car drivers, and I do consider them athletes (not really in the same way that Olympic athletes are, perhaps), but I think you would be hard pressed to find that to be the majority opinion about it when it comes to making it a part of something like the Olympics.

Second of all, it would be a logistical nightmare for the IOC, for reasons Interludes pointed out but also several more. How do you make sure that the cars are reliable? How do you have athletes become eligible for the event (since he is also right that they certainly couldn't allow it to get loaded up with F1 drivers or anything like that)? How do you make them compete with each other (you can't put them all on a track racing each other, because all it would take is one big accident for the entire event to turn into a farce; and you likely couldn't make it a time trial affair without massive apathy towards it)? How do you make up a ruleset that can easily encompass all drivers from all nationalities? Where do you do the races? What if the host country doesn't have the facilities to support them in or near the host cities?

Finally, why does it even need to happen? Most top and near-top tier racing series are already international championships, and there are also racing series that are specifically tasked for bringing the best of the best together (RoC). I'm not sure what trying to shoehorn auto racing into the Olympics would actually accomplish.

Last edited:
Because its inclusion would be controversial to begin with. Motorsport would have to prove that it is a viable Olympic sport, and if countries are only going to send the Lewis Hamiltons and Fernando Alonsos of the world, there's no point to holding it. By rights, all of those other sports should be limited to amateurs as well. That's the way the Olympics was founded - competitors are not permitted to accept any money from sponsors in order to compete.
We aren't in those times any more

I still can't understand the argument. Every other Olympic game played uses the countries best athletes. They have the trials in most countries just to see who will even be on the teams.

How is filling cars with amateurs proving that Motorsport is viable? Who wants to watch that? And what is wrong with sending the Lewis Hamiltons and Alonso's of the world?

How is that any different to sending Michael Phelps, the US Basketball team, Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer,or Usain Bolt?

The Olympic games wont be going back to amateurs ever...

Are you interested in watching amateur hour? Olympic sports have changed for the good. We get to see the world top athletes come together to do battle and push each other to the limits. I dont see how that is less appealing than watching amateurs....but thats just me :sly:

I still can't understand the argument.
*sigh*

I'll explain it again: the IOC have said that motorsport will not be an Olympic sport. They are firmly against it. If they ever decided to introduce motorsport, it would be a controversial choice. So in order to justify its inclusion, the IOC would have to be very particular about the introduction of motorsports.

Every other Olympic game plated uses the countries best Athletes. They have the trials in most countries just to see who will even be on the teams.

How is filling cars with amateurs priving that Motorsport is viable? And what wrong with sending the Lewis Hamiltons and Alonso's of the world?

How is that any different to sending Michael Phelps, the US Basketball team, Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Usain Bolt?

And there are a lot of people who feel that the Olympics have lost their meaning ever since they let professional athletes into the sport.

Are you interested in watching amateur hour?
I already watch professional motorsports. Having professionals compete at the Olympics would not interest me in the slightest.

Well obviuosly there was no such think as a "professional athlete" when the greeks held the olympics. Regardless the city-states sent their best representives not some average joe. I dont think a meaning is being lost. How does Michael Phelps being a professional or not change the spirit of the game? Is he paying to have his pool water warmed? I still dont understand.

How does Michael Phelps being a professional or not change the spirit of the game?
Sending the best of the best your country has to offer is quite a bit different in practice then sending the best of the best out of an entire pool of people who do it for a career. See: 1992 U.S. Basketball team versus everybody else.

Whether that makes things worse or not is up to argument, as is whether or not making it so professional athletes can compete restores fairness (because specifically excluding them is rather arbitrary); but I can't imagine that many people would care about an Olympic event that would just end up being filled with current and former F1 drivers driving go karts or whatever.

My chief objection to it's inclusion is this; the outcome of a motor racing event, more THAN (not then) any other sport, tends to depend heavily on the equipment rather than the athlete.

Karts could work, very simple mechanically, can be made quite reliable, and would be very easy to regulate. If was a choice between karts and motorbikes though, motorbikes would make more sense, as a large part of it is shifting your own weight around.

The biggest difficulty really, is justifying the inclusion of it to the IOC.

There are already lots of double standards in the Olympics. We have horse-powered riders in the equestrian events, chemical reaction-powered bullets in the biathlon and shooting events, and gravity-powered ski jumpers and bobsleds. Not to mention the amateur vs pro debate. In my opinion, ALL the events should allow pros, or ban them. It should be one or the other. If it was all amateur, I think karting or motorbikes (400cc or something like that) would be an awesome inclusion to watch. :D It could even be a way for amateur racing drivers to showcase their talents on the world stage.

Will probably never happen though.

I was thinking about this earlier. What I think they should do is use karts as you guys have suggested, 125 gearbox karts I think would be ideal. They are the premier kart class and are relatively equal and reliable. I would have to be run on a kart track, you couldn't just make one in a stadium because they would be too small for a 125 gearbox.

The problem however with all of this is that motorsport is quite wide, thus just doing karting would leave other drivers who don't race karts at a dissadvantage, and in motorsport the equiptment is so much of a part that it is never completely equal between competitors, also setup of the kart makes such a difference that would it have to be set for all competitors to insure no advantage based on track/karting experience, however if it was then it would suit certain driving styles.

All considering adding karting to the x games may be a better alternative.

We aren't in those times any more

I still can't understand the argument. Every other Olympic game played uses the countries best athletes. They have the trials in most countries just to see who will even be on the teams.

How is filling cars with amateurs proving that Motorsport is viable? Who wants to watch that? And what is wrong with sending the Lewis Hamiltons and Alonso's of the world?

How is that any different to sending Michael Phelps, the US Basketball team, Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer,or Usain Bolt?

Are you interested in watching amateur hour? Olympic sports have changed for the good. We get to see the world top athletes come together to do battle and push each other to the limits. I dont see how that is less appealing than watching amateurs....but thats just me :sly:

Olympic boxing is strictly for amateurs and football certainly isn't played by the countries finest players. Tennis, basketball and maybe some cycling are the only other Olympic sports where truly top flight, highly paid professionals compete - but even then you never see all of the best competing.

Where's the motivation for well paid athletes from these sports to compete in the Olympics? After a busy season of playing/competing they're going to want to have a rest and spend time with their families before training begins for the next season. The teams that these players/athletes/drivers compete for are not going to be happy with their investments to get injured or not be in top form for when they're due to be competing for them. McLaren are unlikely to want Hamilton risk injury mid-season due to racing in the Olympics are they?

I have to ask why would you want Motorsport part of the Olympics? Is there not enough World championships on a international stage for you? Would it be the only reason for you to watch the Olympics? From the few times I've watched the olympics, even I as a longtime Motorsports fan can't see why or how you would fit it in there. Its too big of a mess of its own already and the apparent management/Sanctioning body of the Olympics clearly have no intent to do so Anytime soon.

Road racing or time trial point to point style on the streets of city hosting the Olympic, with same make car/motorcycle, limit the spec to almost stock low power vehicles - eg : MX5, Z4 or 250cc bikes. Another idea is to have gymkhana or autox events with one spec cars provided by organizer.

There are already sports contested in the Olympics that can be affected by the competitors equipment as well as the competitor themselves. I don't see many issues that don't have parrallels in the Olympics already.

To me the biggest issue is putting on enough of an event for the title of Olympic motorsport champion to be more than a joke, whilst not making it cost the earth to put on.

I don't see it happening, but I think it could be done.

Think along the lines of the Race of Champions.

Surprised at people saying nobody would want to see the best drivers from mixed categories competing in equal machinery on the world stage where the only variable is driver skill. :crazy:

I can never see it happening but if it did, they should definitely use professionals. The chance of injury is very small so I can't see much argument there. I have a feeling not many of the top drivers would participate though which would be a problem.

Surprised at people saying nobody would want to see the best drivers from mixed categories competing in equal machinery on the world stage where the only variable is driver skill. :crazy:

Well it doesn't help that a certain series (which promised to do the same mind you) didn't quite work out. Ironically, it was reffered as the "Olympics Of Motorsport", even though all it did was pit Country Teams against each other.

I can never see it happening but if it did, they should definitely use professionals. The chance of injury is very small so I can't see much argument there. I have a feeling not many of the top drivers would participate though which would be a problem.

Add on top of that as top drivers, they already have the busiest schedules not even including the racing season itself.

IMHO, the whole idea of motor sports in the Olympics is silly. I could maybe see something 100% standardized with an electric motor to ensure it is about human skill and not engineering. But then, we get into unsavory aggressive tactics, so it would have to be on a time trial basis, and then course conditions would become crucial.

Respectfully,
Steve

IMHO, the whole idea of motor sports in the Olympics is silly. I could maybe see something 100% standardized with an electric motor to ensure it is about human skill and not engineering. But then, we get into unsavory aggressive tactics, so it would have to be on a time trial basis, and then course conditions would become crucial.

Respectfully,
Steve

You can also get aggressive tactics in sports like football in the olympics. I tackle you badly and injure you but get redcarded myself is no different to I punted you off the track thus ending your race however then was black flagged myself.

Perhaps with enough effort put towards it there could be various events all put together of which you earn points in each towards the motorsport event.

EG: rally time trial in identical cars,
Kart racing.
motocross???? (less of a possibility.)
Low powered road cars.
Higher powered race cars (radicals??)

Therefore you would need to be a well rounded driver.

Would be awesome however pretty unrealistic.

Why are people constantly referring to the mechanical side of motorsports as a barrier to entry? Do we not have Cycling? Equestrian? Sailing? Shooting? Archery? All of these involve external influences on the ability of the competitors! The idea of having to rely on a go-kart or a car (or motorbikes, planes and motor-boats) is no different to having to rely on a horse or a gun. Its just there are more mechanical parts involved that can fail, but seeing as reliability is pretty good these days in most motorsports, thats a bit of a non-issue.

As for the question of whether it involves the best competitors/professionals, well quite a lot of the non-atheletics sports don't either. This is where the Olympics is out of date.
The modern-day Olympics came from a time where international competition didn't happen very often with any sport and it was seen as a way of uniting the world in the spirit of friendly competition.

Nowadays international sport is quite widespread and popular. Almost all sports have a world championship or internationally-important event. The Olympics is not as important for many of these sports because it doesn't happen as frequently and some sports don't even appear every Olympics.

I think the Olympics should still exist as its still quite important for athletics and some of the "lesser" sports which aren't followed quite as widely as say football or tennis. I don't think motorsports really needs to appear but it would be nice if it was recognised, perhaps it would help people understand it better - especially if it was something like go-karting which is a little cheaper and easier for people to get involved than anything else.

The only argument why motorsports shouldn't be in the Olympics is due to the irrelevance for most professional drivers. Any of the other arguments personally I find utter rubbish considering the other sports which feature. Anyone trying to argue it doesn't take physical effort clearly doesn't realise shooting isn't exactly huge amounts of physical effort either (and hasn't driven a fast kart very much). And those that argue it should be only down to pure human skill seem to miss all the other sports which feature more than just human ability (especially equestrian).

I don't think motorsports needs to be at the Olympics, it would be nice but its not necessary.

Er, race? Why does it have to be time attack? Time attack is fine anyway though. We could also easily setup a slalom contest. Or a drag race. Or a synchronised time-race (like circuit cycling).

Explain how they would actually compete with each other outside of a time attack setup, then.

Very very easily. You do a heats and final setup.

You have a number of competitors that allows everyones positions to average out as equal and then in each of the 3heats each driver starts frontish, midish, and rearish. Drivers are awarded points for their finishing postitions in each. All totted up to give the positions for the final, and the medals are then decided for the final.

And you then repeat this process twice with 2 different grids of people, with the first half of each going to another final if you want more people.

Either that or you do qualifying like f1 did in 2005, everyone has one lap, one at a time so no one interferes with anothers lap. However this runs the risk of weather conditions.

Back