• 225 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
2014-mazda-3-5-door-artists-rendering-photo-475722-s-520x318.jpg

Details:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-mazda-3-rendering-and-information-news

I know it's just a rendering, but.....wow.

Kodo works best on the 6. This is too small a car to copy-paste the entire design.

I still think it'll look ten-million times better if they made a production 3 look closer to one of the Nagare concepts. I'm a strong hater of this new design language... But that's just me. :P

mazda_2.jpg

Last edited:
They could use that rendering and it would be amazing. I'm sure it'll be changed for the better though.

Leaked images '14 Mazda3

This is the all-new Mazda 3 – a car you’re not supposed to see until next summer – shown in all its glory from every angle. Print-outs of these pictures were delivered to the Auto Express office in an unmarked envelope, and we’ve scanned them so you can take a look.

Mazda UK’s official line is that these are digital renderings, drawn up to show how the Kodo design language translates to new models, rather than a real car. Even so, they’ve been sketched by Mazda’s designers and give us a clear idea of how the next 3 will shape up.
AutoExpress

mazda-3-front-static.jpg

mazda-3-hatch-profile.jpg

mazda-3-rear-static.jpg

mazda-3-saloon-profile.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, the leaked images look like a concept car still. But they're not too far off from what Car and Driver came up with.

It looks expensive, and Italian, especially in profile. Anti-cab-forward (look at that front overhang), and the rear end of the hatch looks too much like an EX35 for my liking. The rear seats are going to feel claustrophobic with that aggressively raked window line, and I imagine rear visibility won't be great. But overall, I like it, though not as much as the new 6. Kodo works better when given a larger canvas.

That said, I think it'd translate to a Mazdaspeed 3 far better than today's toothy version.

It's still not very good though. You can't put Ronnie Coleman's physique on a dwarf and expect the same aesthetic. I think kodo only works on the larger vehicles.

It looks like a CX-5 went through the washing machine and shrunk as a result, especially the hatchback version. Good lord. First generation is (and always will be, by the looks of things) the best-looking.

Reread the article. It may be done by Mazda, but it's still only an artists conception of what a kodo-3 could look like. At least that's what I'm drawing from the short little blurb.

Leaked images '14 Mazda3

mazda-3-hatch-profile.jpg

This is what an Alfa Brera would look like if it was made by the Japanese.

It may be a bit too edgy for pedestrian safety, so it will be certainly toned down, but the side mirrors look pretty much production-like stuff. Even the lights doesn't appear to be made of unobtanium.

Awesome.

Those leaked images look great, and, judging by the realistic wheel sizes, might actually be the real thing.

I love how all the new Mazdas have a visual lightness to their designs, an athleticism so to speak. And they are light too! Brilliant!

looks like cx5 why that things ugly and won't sell why do same to your best selling car especially when your company's already hemorrhaging money. bad business decision.

looks like cx5 why that things ugly and won't sell why do same to your best selling car especially when your company's already hemorrhaging money. bad business decision.

First, you might try using capital letters where appropriate as the AUP asks for it.

Second, it will sell. In fact Mazda increased the CX-5's production to meet demand.

The new designs look better than the last generation so far. The 2013 Mazda6 is straight up sexy...

It looks great except for that little chrome bar around the grill and the headlights. It looks pinched/kinked in a couple of places and I think the flow of the front end would benefit if they were smoothed out a little. Just a super-minor thing, though. It looks great and it a demonstrable improvement over the existing 3.

It looks great except for that little chrome bar around the grill and the headlights. It looks pinched/kinked in a couple of places and I think the flow of the front end would benefit if they were smoothed out a little.
It's meant to evoke samurai swords and whatnot. Mazda is Japanese after all.

It's still not very good though. You can't put Ronnie Coleman's physique on a dwarf and expect the same aesthetic. I think kodo only works on the larger vehicles.
It can work, as any theme can work on small cars. The trick is to apply it in a way that doesn't result in a caricature. Not easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, two things:

1) What on earth is this "kodo" you are referring to?

2) It seems a bit over-the-top, but if you put the current one next to it and told me "Pick one", I'd take the 2014.

Maybe it's just me, but the unfortunate part of camouflaged test cars is they make it especially apparent how big the cars are. I mean, this is supposed to be a smaller offering, but that driver is swallowed up!

That said, provided it follows the Mazda trend of keeping weight in check, I'm still interested, since we won't be getting a hatch 6.

Would look better if they made the nose half as long.

Back