Honda Civic Type-R to get 2.0 turbo engine (300bhp+)

• Thread starter Horde_R35
  • 254 comments
Portugal
Lisbon,Portugal
IRT_hordeR35
Whats an Xbox??
Vtec and Turbo?! Sounds good to me but im old fashion when it comes to Hondas and think they should be NA. What do you guys think?

Click here

honda-civic-type-r.jpg

6223678142_7d242e2651.jpg

I'm also old fashioned when it comes to engines.

My top 3 engine builders are
Ferrari
BMW
Honda

2 of them will feature turbo in the top selection.
I'm not happy at all about that.
I can defenetly see the "green" aspect with downsized engines etc..
But I question the impact it has as a whole.

Downsizing the base selection would be much more efficiant in terms of inviorment.
The top of the line cars should still feature NA engines imo, cause the amount of cars in the top segment that's sold compared to the amount of base cars sold is slim to none.
It's called marketing I guess.. :(

Mclaren has demonstrated that you really can have induction growl with turbos, so the sound is no longer a primary issue. However, I still would miss the response of an n/a vtec engine, even if the car is faster overall.

A built B16a EG-chassis civic is what converted me to the n/a cult. I miss this car:

grassroots3.jpg

11.jpg

I could wrap that tach needle off the scale, and did so daily.

Not mine:

However, these sound just viscous:

Funny how it looks nothing like its sibling.
download_image.php

2013 Civic
And sadly it's Euro only :-( the R-Type that is.

Last edited:
Make that 170mph on a highway that has traffic. Words fail me.. Can't describe how stupid that is.

Finally, I fought they finished with the type are on the FD2 and FN2. Thats what i heard. Good to see its back. Looks better then the current civic

It's ugly in my opinion but, I would have it over an FN2. I don't think it should be turbo even though there really fast, I'm a N/A VTEC fanboy but, if they have to make it turbo make it an option.

Will be very interesting to see! Not my first engine preference though, would rather they lightened it compared to the FN2 and...

1. Used a 220/30bhp version of its 2.0 engine, or a newer version
2. Used a ~250/60bhp version of the 2.4 in the Civic Si
3. Used the original mentioned 1.6 turbo with around 250-270bhp

(In order of preference from 1-3)
I've never seen Type R's as being about chasing 'ring times or winning the never ending power war, its going to be a great shame to see the end of NA Type R's although I am not for one moment going to doubt Honda's new turbo engines, as they have a thing for low capacity and high power engines!! :)

About.Fricking.Time.

That is all.
I agree, but I remember reading about how Honda was philosophically against using turbos, probably back in late 80's ~ early 90's. I wonder what caused them to wake up now?

I agree, but I remember reading about how Honda was philosophically against using turbos, probably back in late 80's ~ early 90's. I wonder what caused them to wake up now?
Euro Emissions and power from competitors.

Those Germans with their small Audis and BMW and Mercs, it's all their fault.

Euro Emissions and power from competitors.

This.

I'd also say that there's an element of diminishing returns to it. Firstly, in terms of cost - making bigger and bigger power (to compete) will start to get very expensive very quickly if you're trying to keep the engine naturally aspirated.

Secondly, in terms of weight - as cars get heavier, engines that develop peak power and torque at the top of the rev range are going to start feeling a bit slow. Modern hot hatchbacks are a bit lardy and engines that develop their power a bit lower down help mitigate that.

Those Germans with their small Audis and BMW and Mercs, it's all their fault.

Na, its VW, Vauxhall, Ford and Mazda with the Golf GTI, Astra VXR, Focus ST and 3 MPS (is the megane turbo?)

Those three are in the class above, being more expensive and a more luxury manufacturer

Four wheel steering? Variable vane turbos? This is what I can muster from the article in the OP and from where I'm sitting, it's impossible to showcase so much technology at an attractive starting price.

Ford simplified the Focus RS in order to keep it affordable, if Honda is indeed going the other way around and still keep prices down on earth, they must cut their profits, which is never good in our current economic situation...

Nevertheless, it was about time for them to start playing with turbocharging, lag still is an issue but it can well be greatly mitigated nowadays.

Ford simplified the Focus RS in order to keep it affordable, if Honda is indeed going the other way around and still keep prices down on earth, they must cut their profits, which is never good in our current economic situation...

I presume you mean the ST, rather than the RS - the last RS was just a more complicated ST...

Even then, the new ST isn't really less complicated than the previous one - it's just down by one cylinder as the old engine fell foul of emissions regs.

I presume you mean the ST, rather than the RS - the last RS was just a more complicated ST...

Even then, the new ST isn't really less complicated than the previous one - it's just down by one cylinder as the old engine fell foul of emissions regs.

Yep, I meant the ST.

It has lost the RevoKnuckle suspension thingy and shed that Volvo engine, using an engine widely available in their line-up and ditching a exclusive front suspension might help a bit in the cost front, though.

Or was the first gen RS which had the RK? :confused:

EDIT: Oh I see now, the RevoKnuckle setup was only available in RS models. I mixed up the badges... :embarassed:

Yep, I meant the ST.

It has lost the RevoKnuckle suspension thingy and shed that Volvo engine, using an engine widely available in their line-up and ditching a exclusive front suspension might help a bit in the cost front, though.

Or was the first gen RS which had the RK? :confused:

EDIT: Oh I see now, the RevoKnuckle setup was only available in RS models. I mixed up the badges... :embarassed:
While the RK system was much publicised, it was technically little different to what Renault Sport cars had been using for several years.

And no it wasn't the first gen Focus RS, that was a very different beast.

Honda better make this cheaper for their sake. All these Vauxhall, and Fords etc. are all getting too expensive. Especially when you consider a base M135i is only a couple of grand more and whole heap more of a performance car (and engine) :P

The M135i is an amazing bargain. Had a go in one a few months back. Utterly ballistic and heaps of fun.

But yes, I hope the Honda is a bit more reasonably priced.

Yeh, the ST is back down to 2.0 turbo but that just helps them out in race series with regulations (ie touring / wrc). Always preferred the old 2.0 turbo RS to the newer ST (thats why i bought one).
Would love to keep civicR vtecing but tax would be huge and after all, the other 5 hot hatches aren't that expensive, and with the STs Ecotec engine, good on fuel and cheaper to tax than most so Honda need to go with the masses, isn't the new NSX going turbo too?

Preliminary road tests are starting to come in, but this is for developmental mules.

Emphasis on "mental". This car will probably still be barking mad when it finally launches.

Back