Porsche 911 GT3 (991) Announced!

Australia
Australia
First pics of the 991 GT3:

Porsche-911-GT3-front-on.jpg

Porsche-911-GT3-rear-3q.jpg

Porsche-911-GT3-interior.jpg

Porsche-911-GT3-uphill.jpg

According to an article after its announcement at the 2013 Geneva Motor Show, it will have four-wheel steering and a dual-clutch transmission but no manual gearbox.

The 7-speed 'PDK' gearbox will transfer power to the rear wheels from the 3.8L direct injection 6-cylinder engine that should produce 470bhp and revs 500rpm higher than the previous engine, to 9000rpm.

It also incorporates a launch control system and can accelerate from 0-100km/h in 3.5 seconds with a top speed of 315km/h, making it quicker than the 997 GT3 RS and RS 4.0.

The Active Rear Wheel Steering is a production first for Porsche and turns the rear wheels in the opposite direction to the front wheels at speeds of up to 50km/h to aid manoeuvrability, and turns them parallel above speeds of 80km/h to aid cornering stability.

Dynamic engine mounts are included in the package as is a new electronically controlled rear differential lock, plus the electric steering set-up now being applied to all Porsche sports cars in place of the old hydraulic rack.

The rear body of the Porsche 911 GT3 is 44mm wider than that of the Carrera S, sits on 20-inch forged alloy wheels, and there’s the signature large rear wing.

The Porsche 911 GT3 goes on sale in Europe this August.

Not offering a manual option will certainly mean that 997 GT3 prices will hike up in the near term. Nevertheless, it looks amazing and it's shaping up to be another great car.

I can only envy those who are able to afford a GT3, but I must also congratulate them for keeping the best of the 911s alive.

Oh, and Jethro has the best job in the world. Period.

No manual, don't care. It's a bloody GT3, not a luxury saloon! Speed isn't everything.

For the GT3, speed is everything.

The one reason for not offering a manual is because the GT3 is meant for racetrack use instead of hoonery.

-

Mildly surprised. I wrote a speculative article on this for our roll-out issue, and since then, they've upped the power count by about twenty horses. Surprised the GT3 is getting the active rear-steering. The system was rumored to be in development for the Turbo only.

Glad I put it in the article, anyway.

No manual, don't care. It's a bloody GT3, not a luxury saloon! Speed isn't everything.
Then you bought the wrong Porsche if you're not after speed.

This is a car developed to be used on a track, & the PDK has always been the superior transmission for the track. Rohrl himself, has no longer seen the point of the manual on the track when PDK can do whatever he asks in a second & keep him focused.
Manuals are a dead technology & only the purists will refuse to believe it.

As for the car, one of the best looking Porsches in years, imo. Love it & want one.

Manuals are a dead technology & only the purists will refuse to believe it.

While I agree with the rest of what you said, the manual transmission is far from dead. While manual transmissions in high performance vehicles are becoming less and less relevant, with the importance of emerging markets, manual transmissions are going to stick around for a long time.

Here is the Press Release. I dont remember the previous GT3 being 130K?

Porsche Debuts Fifth Generation of the 911 GT3

World premiere at the Geneva Motor Show

Atlanta. The new Porsche 911 GT3 premieres this week at the Geneva International Motor Show. The completely-redeveloped fifth generation of the 911 GT3 occupies the top position among Porsche sports cars with naturally-aspirated engines. With an impressive lap time on the Nürburgring Nordschleife of under 7:30 minutes, the 2014 911 GT3 benefits from a new engine, transmission, body and chassis. The car now sprints from zero to 60 mph in 3.3 seconds on its way to a top track speed of 195 mph. The 2014 911 GT3 will go on sale in the United States late in 2013 and will be priced from $130,400, not including a $950 destination charge.

As a technical highlight, the 911 GT3 features the first active rear-wheel steering in a production Porsche, as well as optional full LED headlights. The new GT3 brings to everyday driving many of the properties of a sports car developed on the track, and preserves the highly emotional fun factor.

The powertrain of the new 911 GT3 is composed of a 3.8-liter boxer engine yielding 475 hp (125 hp/liter) featuring a 9,000 rpm redline and a specially developed Porsche dual-clutch transmission (PDK) which drives the rear wheels. The six-cylinder engine is based on the same engine as the 911 Carrera S, although they share only a few common parts. All other components, particularly the crankshaft and valve gear, were specially adapted or designed for the GT3. For instance, Porsche designed titanium connecting rods and forged pistons for this engine.

The Porsche dual-clutch transmission in this application has been specially developed for the 911 GT3: the characteristics are based directly on a sequential gearbox from racing, thereby providing further performance and dynamic advantages to the driver. Highlights include shorter gear ratios with closer spacing, even faster shifting, and shift paddles with shorter travel and increased tactile feedback, which now allow the driver to place the PDK in neutral simply by pulling on both paddles at the same time.

For the first time, Porsche is employing active rear wheel steering to achieve even higher steering precision and improved lateral dynamics. Depending on the speed, the rear wheels steer in the same or opposite direction of the front wheels, improving stability and agility. Other new features that improve driving dynamics are an electronically controlled, fully variable rear differential lock and dynamic engine mounts. Contact with the road is made by new 20-inch, forged alloy wheels with center-locking hubs in place of conventional wheel bolts.

The 2014 911 GT3 is based on the light yet stiff body of the current generation 911 Carrera, which employs a hybrid steel and aluminum construction; however, it comes with unique front and rear parts specific to the GT3. In addition, the 911 GT3 is 1.7 inches wider than a 911 Carrera S in the rear. Another distinctive feature is the large, fixed rear wing, which contributes to the exemplary aerodynamics.

By combining low air resistance with even more power, the 2014 911 GT3 sets new performance standards. At full acceleration from standstill, the 60 mph mark is reached after just 3.3 seconds, and on the track 124 mph is reached in less than twelve seconds.

After watching the EVO video I feel better about the car, still prefer to get a 997.1 and spend the rest on some sweet mods and stuff for the track
TBH the 997 looks better to me at least
Porsche-GT3-Nurburgring-991-3.jpg

I wish the struts for the rear spoiler were a bit further apart, and the front vents were consolidated somewhat.

It also is humorous to me that the Porsche 911 has 4WS now but the GT-R no longer does. It's like some sort of Bizarro version of 1988.

Last edited:
Oh my. It just sits so right on it's wheels. Those white car shots are astounding.

PDK or not, this is a seriously desirable car. 470hp and 9000rpm? Since that engine will never see time in a Cayman... yes please!

Rear wheel steering in a car that is already nimble and known for tailhappy behavior? If this is applied to GT3 RS, I could see a new widowmaker right there..

As others have said, you might want to learn somethings about speed and transmissions.

I do like what they've done with the rear end of this, though a touch unsure on the new front vents. The numbers are staggering though, and as usual, it makes the GT-R look silly once again.

Let's hope the GT3 RS will have more black on (your favorite color here).

I'm still in love with the Black/Orange 997 GT3 RS. :drool:

Care to elaborate on this?

The GT-R is just a computer with some turbos strapped to it. It isn't inspired or interesting in the slightest to me, and I read more and more about how it just feels soulless to drive.

Pretty sure you've seen my many rants on AWD and heavy ass cars that rely on it to move.

In response to those questioning my verdict on the PDK only, I would prefer the feel of a manual to the outright speed and raciness of a dual clutch gearbox for virtually all applications. The GT3 is, to me, the most hardcore 911, and so should also be very, very fun. A manual makes it more fun, IMHO.

I'm not a big fan of the rear wing. I think it looks too thin and fragile. I'd rather it be black like the 997 GT3 RS because it would distract less from the rest of the car which looks great.

In response to those questioning my verdict on the PDK only, I would prefer the feel of a manual to the outright speed and raciness of a dual clutch gearbox for virtually all applications. The GT3 is, to me, the most hardcore 911, and so should also be very, very fun. A manual makes it more fun, IMHO.

I'm curious, but how many cars have you driven to make such a statement? The GT3 is the track special, speed is paramount, which is what you initially commented on. You've since changed your views from speed to fun, but I'm curious as to what you are actually basing this fixation on a traditional manual on.

Looks amazing, love the aggressive looks and the rear end :drool:

The redline is amazing too, can't wait for the turbo now :sly:

Saw my first 991 Carrera S the other day and I prefer it to the 997. Now this GT3 looks stunning!

I love its looks overall. And the GT3 has always been a highly desirable car to me, with its driver's car attitude and track oriented design. I also, personally, think it's overall even nicer looking than the 997, bot the original and the face lifted one.

But...

And I apologize if this is a "can't be unseen" thing, but have you guys noticed that the vent beneath the bonnet, in combination with the headlights, forms an incredibly derpy smiley face?

kyEZMoH.jpg

Sorry for the bad edit, but I had to :lol:

/edit:
Noob question,is the PDK a flappy pedal? and if so why is it called an automatic?
The PDK allows manual shifting, so you're sort of right. But it's not truly manual, as in, it's not a stick shift. Which the GT3 did retain until now.

Saw my first 991 Carrera S the other day and I prefer it to the 997. Now this GT3 looks stunning!
+1

Exactly what I thought.

Which one should I get, the black one or the white GT3? 💡

Back