• Thread starter Blackbird.
  • 51 comments

Blackbird.

Premium
United States
Bay Area
BlackbirdGTP
Blackbird5150
I have to say the only reason i'm posting this is because I think it's the first time this car actually looks good! I would actually consider buying this if I were in the market for an economy car. đź‘Ť

2014 Toyota Corolla

The front end looks like the designers forgot they were working on a Toyota and not a Lexus, with that enormous whale-mouth grille... at least it looks better than the atrociously ugly E160 that we get in the ANZ market.

Interior looks nicer too đź‘Ť

It looks like Toyota tried to create their own Dodge Dart. I'm not sure if it's an improvement or not. The exterior and the controls on the interior might not appeal to their typical buyer.

For some reason, I feel like you could put VW badges on it and they wouldn't look out of place...

I don't like it. They tried the same thing with the Camry and it looks 5 years old now. Why doesn't Toyota call the people who worked on the GT86? They know how to make a car look sporty.

For some reason, I feel like you could put VW badges on it and they wouldn't look out of place...

That's what I thought. It's not necessarily a bad thing too. I'm pretty sure it's the rounded nose and the headlights. This is a bolder move by Toyota. I like the sportier styling they're going for on this one and you can get a more conservative model like we see in the green one. They're obviously going to sell like hot cakes like they usually do.

20 years from now, will we look back on the cartoonish proportions and overwrought styling lines that have gone off the deep end since the start of the decade with the same disdain that we do now for cars in the 70s? Will the Peugeot whale grill that was roundly mocked when introduced on the 407 but nonetheless made standard on what seems like every car on the market be the Landau top or opera windows of the 2010s?

After all, if even the Corolla is resorting to that, how long do we have to wait until the 2010's equivalent of the 1980 Seville?

I see a Dodge Dart with a gaping Elantra mouth. Toss in some Cruze and Civic, and it's kind of derivative in its styling. Which is at least, something different for the Corolla. Seems like mostly the same engine/transmission combo, although with an Eco variant with a little less thirst.

Coming soon to a rental car counter near me, I suppose.

Tornado
After all, if even the Corolla is resorting to that, how long do we have to wait until the 2010's equivalent of the 1980 Seville?

I thought the Mercedes-Benz SLR did a good impression of having 'noassitol'.

Last edited:
I drive an '03 Corolla and it's pretty sad that the same 4 speed auto is in the base version 10 years later. That transmission is just mediocre and I'd be pretty peeved to have it in a brand new 2014MY car, especially when most of the competition offers 5-6 speeds and Toyotas are supposed to be the "good" economy cars. On the other hand though, the CVT is interesting and I imagine it'll offer great fuel economy. I get great fuel economy even with the crappy transmission, but having more ratios should allow you to get up to a higher speed without the revs falling (on my car once you get up around 115km/h you can't go much higher without the revs getting too high and burning through fuel).

Interior looks nice, but refinement will have to match for it to be a good upgrade. Exterior will be divisive, I think it looks alright but I also think it won't age as well as some of the other Corollas. My 2003 obviously doesn't look "good", but it just looks like a car and it doesn't stand out for being absurdly ugly or strangely styled, something that I reckon is important in this segment from this manufacturer.

Engine isn't groundbreaking obviously, but it's not a bad engine by any means. It's certainly not going to be the best in the segment, but for what the car is the 1ZZ-FE is incredibly reliable, efficient, and has enough power for an economy car. Styling is what it is, but I think ultimately the success of the car depends on refinement and interior toys.

Last edited:
It needs to be lowered before it ends up tipping over; but overall I think it looks nice - if a bit over-styled.
The interior looks to be a lovely place to be too.

The front bumper does seem a bit extreme but it looks the worst in red, especially with the black bottom lip that makes the grill look like it doesn't end.. the pictures of it in darker colours make it look much nicer - add a no. plate on and it will break it up nicely I think.

Overall I think it's a very nice car and the first Corolla in a very, very long time that I've genuinely liked.

20 years from now, will we look back on the cartoonish proportions and overwrought styling lines that have gone off the deep end since the start of the decade with the same disdain that we do now for cars in the 70s? Will the Peugeot whale grill that was roundly mocked when introduced on the 407 but nonetheless made standard on what seems like every car on the market be the Landau top or opera windows of the 2010s?

I can't wait for those days.

Why does the Australian model of everything have garish chrome plastic?

I strongly dislike the trend of the downward-facing mouths that car companies just love at the moment.

Though still a step up over the cookie-cutter Corolla's so far.

*Shudder*

That's the car we get as the Auris, albeit we only get a hatchback, not a sedan.

The Auris looks pretty horrific to my eyes. By and large I'm far from being one of those people who thinks every modern car looks crap, but the Auris looks depressed at the front, ungainly at the back and bland everywhere else.

FWIW, the Corolla at the top looks far better than the Auris, to my eyes.

Don't like the styling. It's bold, but the US version looks like a bad Kia copy, and the European version looks like a blingy Golf.
Toyota's family nose looks horrendous. All of their cars with it are indeed striking, but for the wrong reason.
It's a shame the mechanicals haven't changed much, but I guess it doesn't matter too much. It is a Toyota, it's always going to sell.

I'd still get a Focus or a Golf personally.

I can't like anything that Toyota does, save for the 86. Their cars look like ugly malformities that I would've sketched out in high school.

So, it has the carry-over 1.8L from the current car, AND on the base model, it's still using the 4-speed automatic. I don't know about anyone else, but I find that to be pretty embarrassing. For a company that by all intents and purposes should be on the forefront of automotive technology, it still seems like a big step back.

But... They did add an extra cog to the standard stick-shift. Of course, you can only get it on the L and S models. So, it's back to making it less-relevant than 9/10ths of the competition.

I'm surprised. It's as though the Japanese want to hand the Americans the ability to make the best C-Segment cars on the road today.

40+ mpg sounds good, and I do like the looks. It would be interesting to see how many highway mpg it'll achieve with a stick shift.

Don't like the styling. It's bold, but the US version looks like a bad Kia copy, and the European version looks like a blingy Golf.
Toyota's family nose looks horrendous. All of their cars with it are indeed striking, but for the wrong reason.
It's a shame the mechanicals haven't changed much, but I guess it doesn't matter too much. It is a Toyota, it's always going to sell.

I'd still get a Focus or a Golf personally.
I don't like the styling either. In that part of the market, I'd like the Kia Cerato Koup

It looks like another cheap car designed to look expensive.

So long as it's reliable and sips gas Toyota will sell these like hotcakes.

Back