Brand new Circuit in Wales.

http://circuitofwales.com/plans/

Main-Aerial---Populous.jpg

M-Aerial-circuit-at-night---Populous.jpg

The track itself looks nice but I can't help think the plans look a little ambitious.

Not so positive comments from Jonathan Palmer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-23246491

BBC
Jonathan Palmer, chairman of AMRCO which represents 17 UK race tracks, said: "The UK circuit industry welcomes innovation and investment, however history and experience suggest that an investment of this magnitude in a motor racing circuit will never produce a return for investors.

"It is a real concern that this will turn into a white elephant at the expense of much needed public funds, and we hope this project will now be subject to careful scrutiny by Welsh government inspectors and the Wales Audit Office."

In response, a spokesman for the Circuit of Wales said:"It's no surprise that we are seen as a competitive threat to many of the existing sites that we have in the UK.

"Over the course of the last three years we have met with senior management of 11 of the 17 circuit owners, many of whom have input into our business plan and several operators who have expressed interest in providing services to the circuit."

Welsh government inspectors are still considering whether to review the project.

"Circuit of Wales" sounds rubbish. They should just call it "Ebbw Vale" or something a bit more relevant to the area like other tracks.
No doubt Alan Gow has an eye on this for a BTCC visit.

Good luck to them. I hope they pull it off, although it does seem pretty ambitious.. I can't help but think they are setting themselves up for a fall.

Yes, good luck to them.

And I too, believe they might be a bit too enthusiastic about this, but let's see. Maybe they'll surprise us...

'cos the BTCC provides the only decent racing on the Indy layout :P. Its probably the best example of where aerodynamic-dependent cars go wrong with racing.

The DTM are crazy to continue to use the Indy layout. May as well go to Donington or Silverstone - at least they'd get some decent racing out of those cars then.
I'd like to see DTM tackle Thruxton though....

Everything about this strikes me as the very definition of a pure fantasy idea that will never happen.

Peter Windsor isn't involved is he? :lol:

Provided it gets some decent 4 wheel action I'll definitely be heading over there when it opens 👍 (Little bit further than Brands, Oulton and Snetterton for me but much closer than Croft, Anglesey or Knockhill).

There is some doubt over the project after it emerged that the taxpayer was being asked to underwrite some parts. As one might expect, that isn't going to happen. BBC.

I'm surprised that the private investors want so much money to be government funded. I think the money would be better spent trying to keep the 5000 odd Tata steel employees and those that rely on the steelworks in jobs!
Now I'd love to see a proper international race circuit in Wales, but it should be privately funded.

Back