• Thread starter Bo
  • 28 comments

Bo

Disturbing Member
Premium
United Kingdom
Liverpool
CARBOYXJR
EDIT - The R/C car thread over in the Rumble Strip can take care of the general chat. I'm keeping this strictly to race reports, covering the motorsport side of it.

Last edited:
I run 1/10 off road, in the UK it's high grip astro or grass so on the rear Schumacher Mini-Spike 2 Yellows (Ballistic Buggy greens in the wet) and Yellow Schumacher Cut LP Staggers up front. On grass I like BB 2wd Blue spikes over Yellow Cut LP Staggers for some reason.

I race on road. I raced touring car about 5-7 years ago for 6 months and last year started to get back into racing (Running F1 chassis at club level). Currently running 2nd at a 5 race interclub series where puerly f1 cars run and each round is at a different track. Doubt I can hold 2nd as I'm up against mod/open drivers who have been in the sport 10+ years.

Got back into touring cars as well this year (was waiting till blinky class was a standard class in racing). Currently State Champ in the class and Winner of the Masters event (I'd argue it was a bigger event than the state titles this year). Waiting for some news on nationals and pending when that ends up being hoping to get a chance to try prove myself against guys at that level.

My F1 car is a F104 V2 running the exotec flex chassis (run exclusively on asphalt outdoors). Touring car is a xray t4 that just worked out of the box for me.

Reviving this because the other R/C thread isn't really race-oriented.

I'll be updating this with all major series news, not only Euros and Worlds but EOS, ENS, ETS and UK Nats.

Today was the first 2WD EOS round, taking place at the Nurburgring - 3 races filled with drama and controversy from start to finish. All the Finals are here:

EOSRd12wdAOverall-620x372.jpg

Has to be done when indoors, there's no way around it.

But they're permanent, and rent in Europe is much higher than in America. The two British indoor dirt tracks that were trialed recently lasted a couple of months before they went out of business.

Lee Martin takes both 2WD and 4WD at the opening EOS round after dominating proceedings in 4WD today. Coelho took him out in leg 1, meaning he had all the work to do, but consistency paid off. Ronnefalk's amazing last-lap push in the first leg is one of the best laps in motorsport I've ever seen.

sun_leefist.jpg

sun_finlee.jpg

sun_marcar.jpg

sun_finmarleadin.jpg

The 2015 IFMAR 1/10 Off Road World Championship begins today, with a star-studded entry list gracing Yatabe Arena, situated just outside Tsukuba. This is the first ever Worlds meeting to not be held on clay or dirt - an artificial surface in the form of high-grip astroturf lines the compact arena.

logo1.png

Good luck to all, especially all Serpent drivers.​

You can keep up to date with the entire event via 2015worlds.yatabearena.com, and the RedRC and LiveRC coverage links will be posted here when everything goes live. A digital programme is available to download on the website.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Day 3 of 2WD is upon us - and it's Neil Cragg vs Jared Tebo for the Worlds TQ.

It's been awesome so far. Anyone who hasn't been watching the live streams on YouTube has been missing out.

mon_tebocragg.jpg

mon_jaredtongue.jpg

mon_neilBW.jpg

mon_jaredincept.jpg

mon_stairsneal.jpg

Last edited:
ENS kicks off in two weeks, with 1/8th IC and 1/10th IC running as usual. I'll be updating on both.

In terms of the EP Worlds, Spencer Rivkin and Bruno Coelho took home the spoils, both on their Worlds debuts!

tue_trophykiss.jpg
sat_studiotrophybruno.jpg

@GTPorsche, the final round of ENS kicks off this weekend from Fiorano. I'll find the live timing link, the standings are tight at the top so it should be an intense weekend.

Also, courtesy of Neo, a lovely high-res shot of Bruno Coelho's Worlds TQ and overall World Championship winning XRAY XB4'16.

XB416.jpg

So then, the ENS finale is upon us at the Autodromo Jody Scheckter in Fiorano, located 20 kilometres south west of Modena.

Serpent's Dominic Greiner set the pace in practice, despite being the lowest placed driver in contention to win the title. Dirk Wischnewski set the second fastest time, and even though he is out of contention for the title, he still felt comfortable with his car and expects to get faster. For Coelho, Leino and Groskamp, the other title rivals, things looked very bad - 5th, 8th and 12th respectively. In 1/8, leader Dario Balestri set the fastest time.

The pace for both drivers continued, as both ended up TQing.

fri_dominicTQ1.jpg

fri_dario3.jpg

fri_balestri5.jpg

9 time world champion Lamberto Collari, who has a 100% ENS win rate, is debuting the brand new Infinity chassis. His car is approximately 95% production ready, bar some prototype gearbox parts.

col_CF1.jpg

col_CF2.jpg

col_CF9.jpg

fri_collari2.jpg

It's less than a fortnight until we get the world's flagship RC event underway, as the 2015 IFMAR 1/8 I.C Track World Championship hits the Mini Autodromo Internacional Zeca Elias in Sao Paulo. International superstar and racing legend Lamberto Collari will be out in force with a brand new team and car, to try and further his virtually untouchable record of 9 World Championships. Previous Worlds winners Robert Pietsch and Tadahiro Sahashi will be out to stop him, with countless other drivers hot on their heels.

Byron, Tornado and VP will be supplying the official fuel, with Matrix supplying tyres. LiveRC continue as the official media and broadcasting partner of IFMAR. The event's title support comes from Brazilian aluminium firm Aluvid, whilst the other confirmed primary sponsors consist of REX, Sanwa, Mugen Seiki, O.S Speed, Shepherd, bmt, RC Timing and MyLaps.

The track itself is still very new, having only opened in December 2013. The layout is fast and wide, but the nature of the infield section opens up a variety of overtaking possibilities:

maxresdefault.jpg

The action is set to begin on the 12th of November. Between now and then, there's only one thing to do... get excited. :D

ifmar-2015-18-on-road-world-championship.jpg

You'd be expecting me to update on the 1/8 Worlds around now, seeing as qualifying has finished and today is Finals day.

However, that kind of hinged on me getting some kind of coverage from LiveRC. It appears as though they have dropped the ball quite a bit and seemingly don't even have any reporters in Brazil.

Goodbye IFMAR media deal.

What I can tell you is Simon Kurzbuch took all rounds of Q and therefore TQ, for Shepherd. I also managed to find a video of some laps with Hot Bodies driver JJ Wang:

In other news, it is EOS round 2 this weekend, from the Hudy Racing Arena in Slovakia. Lee Martin has managed to TQ both 2WD and 4WD for Yokomo, and is looking like the man to beat. XRAY are making the production debut of their new XB2, and it is seeing some strong showings - it would probably be even better if Coelho could keep it on track for more than 10 seconds.

ETS season 9 is upon us!

Round 1 takes place this weekend in Hrotovice, Czech Republic - and everyone is out to stop Yokomo's Ronald Volker taking a 6th consecutive title. The new spec tyres from Volante have thrown things up in the air a little, with one of the dark horses, Awesomatix's Viljami Kutvonen, only being 24th overall after CP1.

RedRC have live coverage here:

Images and reports throughout the weekend will be on eos.redrc.net.

This is why A: I can't wait for summer
B: Want to go to the Yatabe Arena someday
C: I love RC
Keep up the good work on this thread!

Many thanks! It's nice to see that some people pay attention to what goes on here. All I want to do is make RC racing a more mainstream form of motorsport.

ETS Saturday here, including the Serpent Formula support class and Pro Stock:

Some pictures from the action so far:

fri_gosvig2.jpg

fri_bultynck.jpg

fri_wingstickers.jpg

fri_miedema.jpg

sat_volker.jpg

fri_krapp2.jpg

fri_collinabod.jpg

With an A2 and A3 win, Marc Rheinard managed to snatch a rather important overall victory to start his Volante Modified campaign. Bouncing back from Volker's last lap win on Saturday was crucial, but this ensures he has the upper hand heading into Germany. Two home heroes going head to head - that might prove interesting. :scared:

sun_finrhe3.jpg

sun_marcA2.jpg

In Pro Stock and Serpent Formula, Jan Ratheisky took a double win - both championships may be a walkover if this kind of form continues. It would be a shame if so, but some of the lower Formula finals were a good watch - I think the Ride High Grip compound doesn't hook up brilliantly on carpet unless you manage to generate a ton of mechanical grip with your setup, so there were lots of slide-y cars about.

sun_jandominating.jpg

sat_f1ratbul.jpg

Now, I think this is quite a big announcement for RC racing in general.

It's long been touted that RC racing can become a fully mainstream branch of motorsport once corporate sponsors get involved. Although XRAY have a deal with Enrico Coveri, it's not really mentioned much - but JQ have just announced a deal with ARMA Energy. I do think this is quite a big step.

NEO is live from Harper Adams now:

I might be going down on Monday, I'll try and get some photos if so.

I attended NEO16 as part of Serpent Europe and got to stay trackside on Finals day with the team. I met Jörn and Detlef Neumann as well as Gerd Strenge, and also got the opportunity to introduce myself to Ronald Baar, Serpent's co-owner and commerce manager. Things didn't go exactly to plan for us, but we managed to snatch 4th in E Buggy. Nitro saw the second outing for the new SRX8, and some clumsy driving from others and poor marshaling meant Jörn was forced into the Last Chance Saloon, unfortunately ending up down in 6th and out of the Main Final.

Still, it was great to experience a world level event as part of the team. Hopefully this time next year I can do a race report, not just a spectator report.

12140752_1754279108124153_8911067363105629687_n.jpg

9576_933684850085586_6457864083794985188_n.jpg

12417532_10156740518290230_4944338637487651170_n.jpg

12439109_10156740518375230_399615526667649933_n.jpg

12923338_10156740520005230_5477822849485088470_n.jpg

IMG_20160328_114937546_HDR.jpg

It's fast approaching summer, which means the Euros are in full swing for all classes. Ronald Voelker and Jan Ratheisky took the 1/10 titles in Mod Touring Car, Formula and Stock TC respectively in Slovakia last week.

This week it's the 1/8 buggy Euros in Redovan, Spain, and Elliot Boots has dominated for Kyosho. The upper Finals begin tomorrow live courtesy of RC TV, with RedRC and NeoBuggy also providing extensive coverage on YouTube. Well worth a watch.

2016 EFRA 1/8 Buggy Euros - Redovan, Spain - TQ Car:
Elliot Boots - REDS Racing Kyosho MP9 TKI4

EC166884-XL.jpg

EC166881-X2.jpg

Love the detail on the fuel tank strap with the holes reamed out - it's the minute things that make racing cars perform well.

Back