2016 Nissan Titan now with New Gasoline and Cummins Diesel Engines- King cab unveiled

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 267 comments

RocZX

Premium
United States
New York
Next gen. Nissan Titan offer a Cummins V8 Turbo Diesel

Nissan-V8%252520Diesel-Titan-7%25255B2%25255D.jpg

Nissan-V8%252520Diesel-Titan-3%25255B3%25255D.jpg

While Nissan would not share any additional information on the new truck yet, it confirmed that the turbocharged diesel lump will be a 5.0-liter V8 unit supplied by U.S., Indiana-based manufacturer Cummins.

"We have done our homework on the next-generation Titan. Truck owners told us there's a demand for the performance and torque of a diesel in a capable truck that doesn't require the jump up to a heavy-duty commercial pickup," said Fred Diaz, Nissan North America vice president for Sales & Marketing, Service & Parts.

"There is no question that the new Titan will turn heads, and with the available Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel, we expect to win new fans and attract buyers looking for this unique configuration," he added.

To be built at Cummins headquarters at the Columbus Engine Plant in Indiana, the V8 turbo diesel will produce more than 300-horsepower and a torque rating in the mid-500s lb-ft (over 700Nm).

CarScoops

Last edited:
While I think this is a bold move by Nissan, I'm not so sure it is a good one. The idea behind installing a diesel engine into a 1/2 ton rated truck is questionable. The reason being is simple. People are going to know that they have that extra grunt of torque under the hood. What are they going to do ? ... they are going to overload this thing farther than it's capabilities. Granted the Nissan still utilizes a box frame (I think - correct me if I am mistaken), a thin wall box frame at that, but the overall payload on these Nissans is no greater than say a 1/2 ton Chevy, Dodge, or Ford. So why install an engine that's made for pulling and performing grunt work when in the whole scheme of things, it's not rated to be a heavy pulling workhorse ? The big 3 are not doing it, that should say something. Now, if Nissan intends to beef up the springs, axles, transmission to compensate for the added payload, then it may be a go. Basically, make it into a 3/4 ton. If they choose not to do so, then this thing will flop hard.

The one thing I can see to it's advantage would be the increased fuel mileage. The diesel will beat it's gasoline counterpart in this department. It should get into the mid 20's, 5.6L gasser version .... gets mid teens ? So the diesel is a plus, or is it ? Consider the price of diesel fuel, it's higher, roughly .50 per gallon difference, at least around here. So your savings in mileage can somewhat get lost at the pump when you fill it up. Is it a fair payoff ?

Well, a second thing. The pricing. Can it remain under the big 3, or close to without pricing themselves out of the market ?

Nissan Frontier Diesel Runner

Nissan-Frontier-Diesel-Runner-Powered-by-Cummins-1.jpg

Nissan-Frontier-Diesel-Runner-Powered-by-Cummins-4.jpg

Nissan-Frontier-Diesel-Runner-Powered-by-Cummins-13.jpg

it’s a Frontier pickup powered by a 2.8-liter Cummins 4-cylinder diesel engineproducing nearly 200 horsepower and more than 350 lb-ft (474 Nm) of torque. With this unit, the Frontier show truck is apparently 35 percent more fuel efficient than the current two-wheel-drive Frontier V6.

Based on a Frontier Desert Runner 4x2 model, the project truck arrives less than six months afterNissan’s announced partnership with Cummins that will result in the next-generation Titan full-size pickup being powered by a 5.0-liter turbodiesel V8 engine from Cummins.

Back to the Frontier Diesel Runner, the engine is mated to a ZF 8HP70 8-speed automatic transmission which contributes to a better fuel economy. Payload and towing capacity are expected to be in range of that offered by the V6-powered Frontier.

Nissan says many of the Frontier Diesel Runner project's key components, from the body to wiring harnesses to the radiator and more are from a production 2014 Desert Runner.

The show truck features exterior modifications including a custom paint treatment that combines three elements: a bright high-gloss "Arrest Me Red" color inspired by Cummins' engine red; a raw "Matte Silver" color created to express the steel body-on-frame Frontier chassis foundation; and carbon fiber and carbon fiber film accents to signify the truck’s performance and efficiency.

The acrylic engine hood is partially transparent, allowing the engine to be seen, while the 16-inch wheels, borrowed from a Frontier PRO-4X, feature a special two-tone paint – Arrest Me Red for the rear wheels and Silver in front, each accented by satin black paint. The brake calipers have also been custom painted in contrasting colors - red front and silver rear.

The interior mirrors the silver and red exterior design, with red accents throughout and carbon-trimmed seats and panels. The instrument panel is highlighted by red-tinted gauges, while a special black-faced diesel-specific three-gauge pod sits on top of the C-cluster.

Besides the show truck, Nissan and Cummins have also built a separate development vehicle that is currently undergoing “rigorous real-world testing.”
CarScoops

Last edited:
35 percent more efficient puts it at 24 mpg combined. 1 mpg more than the Tacoma, which currently sits top of the pile for truck efficiency. Except this thing is a great deal more powerful. (Shameless plug of my own article on it)

Until I went to the states again last year I didn't even realise you guys got the Frontier. It's called the Navara over here, and they seem quite popular. Though we've had them with diesels for years now :sly:

35 percent more efficient puts it at 24 mpg combined. 1 mpg more than the Tacoma, which currently sits top of the pile for truck efficiency. Except this thing is a great deal more powerful. (Shameless plug of my own article on it)

Until I went to the states again last year I didn't even realise you guys got the Frontier. It's called the Navara over here, and they seem quite popular. Though we've had them with diesels for years now :sly:
My brother just bought a 2012 model, only 4x2 unfortunately. :(

This should anger some Dodge truck guys haha.

Not really. While I'd prefer a Cummins option instead if the VM "Ecodiesel" offered in the new 1500, this particular Cummins doesn't interest me at all. I'm not interested in a V-8 diesel but I suppose it could work for a smaller truck that won't be towing much.

I hope Nissan have really beefed up their transmissions, rear ends and the rest of the driveline because a diesel with 500ft/lb of torque will eat through it pretty easily.

Not really. While I'd prefer a Cummins option instead if the VM "Ecodiesel" offered in the new 1500, this particular Cummins doesn't interest me at all. I'm not interested in a V-8 diesel but I suppose it could work for a smaller truck that won't be towing much.

Maybe not you per se, but you know as well as I do how many purists out there are going to be raging :lol:
I hope Nissan have really beefed up their transmissions, rear ends and the rest of the driveline because a diesel with 500ft/lb of torque will eat through it pretty easily.

I agree. They need to step up their game massively if they don't want things to grenade on them.

I thought I read that it was that same ZF 8-speed gearbox that's going into damn near everything...

Could be but that doesn't mean the torque rating that the input shaft (and rest of it for that matter) can handle doesn't change per transmission due to different materials being used to make it.

Is this going in a 1/2 ton? Or is Nissan hoping to get into the HD market? Either way, 3 issues I see.

Truck buyers are the most brand loyal among new vehicle shoppers. Just look at Toyota Tundra sales.

Anyone who does any serious heavy towing will spring for 3/4 ton with a Powerstroke/Duramax/6.7 Cummins. If I was regularly towing 8k+ lbs I wouldn't trust a 1/2 ton.

If they are getting into the HD market, the 5.0 can't compete with the Powerstroke/D-Max or Cummis' own 6.7 in the Ram.

I'm not sure how much towing will come into this one. When it does I'd think it'd be light-duty mostly, but mainly I see people going for the performance and gas mileage benefits. It's a way of getting the V6's capabilities while using a third less fuel.

The only shame - and I wouldn't normally be the one to say this - is that there's no manual option. I'd expect that would broaden its appeal a bit.

I'd say the towing capabilities would be better than the 4.0L V6. My brother bought his because he plans on towing a trailer with a drift car on it, so if you need to tow more than that with a mid size truck you probably should just buy a full size.

Maybe I should have clarified that I was referring to the Titan getting the 5.0 in my post.

Not the Frontier with the 2.8.

If they are getting into the HD market, the 5.0 can't compete with the Powerstroke/D-Max or Cummis' own 6.7 in the Ram.
I don't think Nissan has said anything about entering the HD market. The 5.0 Cummins will be going into the next Titan which will compete against the new F150 (no diesel), GMs (no diesel) and Ram (3.0 V6 VM Motori).

Basically, the next Titan will have the engine that everybody else wants. What they'll offer below it I'm not sure but this top-of-the-line engine will be a firebreather and get great mileage to boot. It's simply not big enough to be a top-spec HD engine, though it would make an excellent low-spec engine because it's still a diesel. The other manufacturers don't offer a low-spec diesel in their HD trucks. That's rather surprising for Ram because the 3.0 would be a great replacement for the 5.7 HEMI in their HD trucks.

I think Nissan is planning their powertrain options pretty damn well for their next trucks. In the Titan, offer a VQ as a base and the 5.0 diesel at the top, then offer the 5.0 diesel as a base for HD trucks and something extra gnarly at the top.

I don't think Nissan has said anything about entering the HD market. The 5.0 Cummins will be going into the next Titan which will compete against the new F150 (no diesel), GMs (no diesel) and Ram (3.0 V6 VM Motori).

Basically, the next Titan will have the engine that everybody else wants. What they'll offer below it I'm not sure but this top-of-the-line engine will be a firebreather and get great mileage to boot. It's simply not big enough to be a top-spec HD engine, though it would make an excellent low-spec engine because it's still a diesel. The other manufacturers don't offer a low-spec diesel in their HD trucks. That's rather surprising for Ram because the 3.0 would be a great replacement for the 5.7 HEMI in their HD trucks.

I think Nissan is planning their powertrain options pretty damn well for their next trucks. In the Titan, offer a VQ as a base and the 5.0 diesel at the top, then offer the 5.0 diesel as a base for HD trucks and something extra gnarly at the top.
Makes me wonder how good Ford will make their new V6 diesel if it ever happens.

This should anger some Dodge truck guys haha.
You have no idea.... I have a 2500 with the I-6 24-valve... Although it's a '99, it'll pull anything I need up to 12 tons..

Makes me wonder how good Ford will make their new V6 diesel if it ever happens.
Ford doesn't (in my opinion) make good diesels at all... They are sorta like Toyota. Not good at all on start-ups, especially in the cold and many of the f-250 owners I know have their engines overheat..

I wish Audi would make a diesel truck...

That's because up until recently Ford never made thier diesels.

That's rather surprising for Ram because the 3.0 would be a great replacement for the 5.7 HEMI in their HD trucks.
Last I knew, they were having problems with production capacity to put it in too many other things.

Back