Premium
United States
Indian Falls, NY
slashfan7964
1598910_10152141923045049_1976902030_o.jpg

1389418392000-2015-F-150DrvrSideHeroStatic.JPG

1389562569000-2015F150CrewCabRed.jpg
1389563194000-15FordF150CrewCarbRunningRed-03.jpg

DETROIT — Ford Motor's most important model, the F-150 pickup truck, finally gets a public showing here today, becoming the first big pickup made of aluminum, body and frame, as Ford sheds 700 pounds from a typical F-150 in the quest to save fuel.

The 2015 F-150, on sale this fall, also gets two new engines, major styling revisions, a plateful of technical updates and a marketing message that this isn't beer-can aluminum; it's military Humvee aluminum.

It'll be harder for a heavy load to dent the bed than in the steel predecessor and harder for a shopping cart to ding the door in a parking lot, Ford swears.

"All-new from the ground up," says Pete Reyes, the truck's chief engineer. "High-strength aluminum alloy for the front end, all the cab, the box, tailgate and the frame, which is bigger, wider, stronger, but 70 pounds lighter."

Ford won't say how much more it costs to build the aluminum 2015 F-150 than a similar steel model, nor will it telegraph prices.

"We'll maintain a level of (price) competitiveness that we need to," Joe Hinrichs, Ford Motor executive vice president, and president of its North and South American operations, said in an interview.

Cutting the truck's weight means it can be powered by smaller, less-thirsty engines, and to that end, the two new engines are relatively small. Plus, the big, top-of-the-line 6.2-liter V-8 is discontinued, at least temporarily.

Lightening the truck also "lets the customer put the weight back in" with more accessories and higher payload and towing ratings, all without overwhelming the truck, Reyes notes.

When the the vehicle that accounts for most of Ford's profits hits showrooms in the fourth quarter, the automaker's marketing will hammer home the message that this is the most capable F-150 ever: It carries and tows more than the outgoing version while getting better mileage, potential buyers will be told.

"This is a critical redesign, not just for Ford but for the entire full-size truck market as we enter an era of rapidly increasing fuel efficiency standards," said Karl Brauer, senior analyst at Kelley Blue Book. "Ford needs to establish the F150 as a future-friendly model that will keep pace with government regulations while still meeting the demands of serious truck buyers."

And truck shoppers might not even need much convincing, especially tradesmen, says Raj Nair, the group vice president in charge of Ford's global product development.

"To them, the use of aluminum is not a big deal. They use aluminum tools, and the sites where they work use aluminum materials. They don't have any concerns about it as long as it meets our standards."

Reyes noted that he was put in charge much further in advance that typical for a chief engineer, to help manage the transition to aluminum.

Ford's no an aluminum virgin. It did much of the development work that allowed Jaguar and Land Rover -- then owned by Ford -- to build their aluminum-bodied vehicles and aluminium panels. Jaguar says the 2004 XJ was its first all-aluminum model.

Yet some analysts on Wall Street aren't confident the launch will go smoothly, precisely because of aluminum's peculiarities. Brian Johnson, auto industry analyst at Barclays, mused in a December note to his clients about possible " parallels between" the aluminum F-150 "and the Boeing Dreamliner," an airplane developed under Ford CEO Alan Mulally when he worked at Boeing that's had a rocky launch.

"Both are are innovative products using lightweight materials that push the envelope," and that suggests the F-150 might risk "start-up delays like the Dreamliner," he said in the note.

Ford poured gasoline on that flickering concern by saying in December that it was cutting its profit forecast for this year to $7 billion to $8 billion, citing the large of new-model launches this year -- 23 globally vs. 11 in 2013.

Ford's forecast made analysts wonder how much would be due to a rough start-up in the transition to the aluminum F-150.

Ford's Dearborn, Mich., truck plant will be first to build the 2015 F-150. Once that's running well, the other F-150 factory, in Claycomo, Mo., will switch, Ford says.

The changeovers are expected to cut Ford F-150 production this year, but Hinrichs downplays that: "We have continued to find ways to keep the capacity. Believe me, we won't run out of F-150s."

To help make the point that the truck can stand up to most anything, Ford will loan 2015 F-150s to people "who have vocations, or recreational uses, that'll really put the truck through its paces -- torture test it on their own" for several weeks, says Doug Scott, Ford's Truck Group marketing manager.

Ford says interested people can go to builttoughttest.com or text 43673.

If aluminum were the whole story, it still would be a big one because it's such a fundamental — possibly risky — shift in manufacturing and marketing Ford's reliable money machine.

But the 2015 F-150 has plenty more of note.

• New engine lineup: Base is a new-design, 3.5-liter V-6, down from 3.7-liter in the current truck, but expected to be more powerful.

One step up is 2.7-liter EcoBoost turbocharged V-6, which is from an entirely new engine family that Ford has developed. The automaker promises it will have the torque and horsepower of a midlevel V-8. Ford says it tested the engine by, among other things, running the grueling Baja 1000 off-road race.

The 5-liter V-8, and 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 from the current generation trucks will continue to be offered, based on the same engine the Mustang uses and carried over from the current generation trucks. 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6, also carried over.

• Functional styling: Front door window "drop-down" is two inches lower, and mirrors are 3.5 inches further forward to open more viewing area just outside the door. Top of the cargo box in 1 inch lower for easier loading from the side. Tops of the doors are closer to vertical, for more lateral head space inside.

• Fancy and useful options: Cleat system on the cargo box walls can hold telescoping ramps that can be used to load garden tractors, ATVs and the like.

LED box lights help owners who use tonneau covers see what's in the box.

There now will be a power-lock tailgate, aping Chrysler Group's Ram truck feature,allowing the gate to be unlatched remotely and drift down gently because its movement now is damped.

High-power lights under the mirrors for work and camping.

There will be a full 360-degree view, via cameras in front, in back and on the mirrors. It'll provide a bird's-eye view to show what's all around, or a variety of other perspectives for parking, loading and navigating tight spots.

Trailer monitor that alerts the driver to any faults, such as a burned-out taillight.

Built-in 120-volt outlet handles 400 watts, up from 125 watts, for serious recharging jobs.

Also look for a huge panorama moon roof.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...-ford-f-series-pickup-f-150-aluminum/4421041/

Let's start by offering some perspective about what we're talking about regarding the world debut of the 13th-generation Ford F-Series half-ton pickup truck at the 2014 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

There is no other way to describe the type of change exemplified by the 2015 Ford F-150 unless you use the word "historic." The Ford F-150 has been the most popular vehicle sold in the U.S. for more than three decades, so for this truck to change from using steel body parts to, what effectively amounts to, a fully aluminum body will likely send ripples (if not shockwaves) through the automotive industry. And it all started quite a while ago with one question: Where can we save weight?

Yes, the F-150 has been using an aluminum hood since 2004 — and several other truck makers have used various types of aluminum and plastic for their hoods and bed designs — but never have we seen the use of aluminum to this extent in any type of production vehicle except luxury sports cars. In fact, when Ford tells the story about when this idea first became a serious pursuit, it goes all the way back to when Ford Motor Co. owned Jaguar and Volvo, with the former using a great deal of aluminum in the design of their luxury sedans and powerful sports coupes. In fact, according to Automotive News, the AIV Sable showed them they could expect as much as a 47-percent weight savings by using aluminum.

Ford engineers took what they knew from Jaguar body construction techniques and started to apply those weight-saving and strengthening strategies to the F-150. The math was pretty simple: Aluminum has greater density than steel and weighs less, so engineers could make the truck lighter without sacrificing strength. That meant the very real possibility of a stronger pickup that would be able to more easily achieve the federal EPA fuel-economy targets fast approaching in 2025.

Every panel on this new truck, and all the cab configurations, will use aluminum panels and construction — the doors, cabin, bed, everywhere. We're told more than 95 percent of the body of the 2015 pickup will now be aluminum. The only spots not made of the lightweight material are some of the QuietSteel pieces still in the dash (mainly because Ford likes the way it keeps the interior so quiet) and in the bottom corner piece of the cabs, which turns out to be a problem spot for current aluminum stamping technology to accommodate.

We expressed some skepticism regarding the use of aluminum in a pickup bed that will see a good bit of abuse, and we were assured this military-grade material (yes, the military is requiring more aluminum than ever before in its current and future vehicles) will be stronger and more dent resistant than the product it is replacing.

Ford said it will continue to offer its current three-cab setup for the 2015 F-150 because that's what customers want. Interestingly, where GM decided to change its extended cab design to a traditional (albeit smaller), conventional four-door design (in large part to better meet the more strict roof crush standards), Ford has kept its clamshell-style door for SuperCab models because their customers like having the bigger pass-through opening for incab cargo storage.

Although testing is quite a ways off, Ford says it will have no trouble meeting the government's roof crush standards. It will be some time before the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has a chance to test all three cab configurations for the 2015 F-150 (it just finished testing the all-new 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500, which got five-star overall ratings on all three cabs), but the Ford people are saying they fully expect their new truck to perform at the highest levels.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/01/2015-ford-f-150-body-and-cabs-first-look.html

Styling wise I'm not the biggest fan, but I do think it's better than what's out now, but I must say, I think Ford has really come through, and brining all this at a price similar to the current model is a big step up. GM could really learn a thing or two. I do hope the 6.2L V8 will return, or least begin to offer a smaller diesel. I'm assuming these changes will also come to the Super Duty lineup at some point. The other thing I wish is that they'd shrink the damn thing. The tailgate is intersting though, it's like a blast from the past with the higher trim models from the 1980-1997 generations.

I do hope the aluminum is strong though. We don't another swiss cheese frame incident as seen in the 1980 and 1981 trucks. For those of you that don't know, the last time Ford redesigned the F-series in 1980 to increase economy and reduce weight, well, lets just say we don't need folding frames that buckle under load. Thankfully by 1982 that was reverted. That's my big worry right now.

1389563395000-2015FordF150-04-MR.jpg
1389572539000-image.jpg
1389572539001-image.jpg
6a00d83451b3c669e201a3fc182a14970b-pi
6a00d83451b3c669e201a3fc182f9f970b-800wi

I long for the days when trucks of this size didn't fall under unintentional self-parody. This looks even more atrociously overdone than the GM trucks.

Though I find it hilarious that GM made such a big deal about the all new Silverado and it is already irrelevant. I say bravo to Ford and (to a lesser extent) Chrysler for really pushing the market forward in that regard.

Too 2015-ish.
:confused:

I'm not sure how I feel about it, but 90% of the comments on Autoblog love it so I think that's a good assessment for the general public's opinion. Impressive weight loss numbers though, wonder what the actual weight is.

Multiple thoughts flying around in my head right now...

• Kudos to the Ford design team for taking a bold step forward in the style department. It looks different than what it replaces, which couldn't be said for the GMTs or however you want to classify the newest Ram
  • Even more kudos to the engineering team for lobbing off 700lbs while still making the frame stronger. Makes GM's weight savings of 200lbs rather funny, now.
  • Adding another EcoBoost V6 is a smart idea. The marketing is working, and for most people, the 2.7L will likely be more than enough.
  • All of that being said, I'm not impressed with the interior. Not in the slightest. The center stack looks ridiculous, and not entirely removed from the current generation trucks. If Ford wins on engineering, GM gets the nod on the interior. It just doesn't look right.
  • As bold of a move as it is... How will the general public take it? It's looking like GM has made the most-traditional moves out of everyone. Will the status quo hold, or will something like this change the market entirely?
When it's all said and done, I think Ford will get a heavy congratulations from the automotive press, and maybe some initial "???" from the general public. They'll sell a bajillion of them, and it will force GM to bring out a heavily refreshed version of the Silverado/Sierra in two or so years.

Still, I've yet to see a case be made that I'd need anything more than the Colorado/Canyon. Those are still getting the major thumbs-up from me this year.

Don't care for how the silver trim on the tailgate is shaped or the intrusion into the headlights, but other than that, it's ok...I guess. The interior looks like it got some really nice updates in it, though.

Don't care for how the silver trim on the tailgate is shaped or the intrusion into the headlights, but other than that, it's ok...I guess. The interior looks like it got some really nice updates in it, though.

The silver strip on the tailgate is a high end option. It won't be there on base models.

Just when I thought these couldn't get worse. Why does this look similar? Ohhh right...

2008_Ford_F-250.jpg

Except while this simply looked like someone based the design around a bulldog's face, this new F-150 simply takes this sub-par design, and merges it with a new Tundra rip-off.

Say what you will about the Rams, at least you can tell what it is immediately AND it's more creative than what GM keep shoving out, but both of them are vehicles I wouldn't mind being seen in, this and the Tundra both draw "WTF is this" reactions from me.

Seven hundred pounds? Seven hundred pounds? If my calculations are correct, captain, that would make the base V6 around the same weight as the smaller Ford Ranger.

Not only does that render GM's entry irrelevant... that squashes the only reason to bring the Ranger to the United States.

But, but... how is Ford gonna compete with the Colorado and Canyon? :D

You think this is crazy? Wait till ford releases a new Superduty. It'll look even more crazy than the GM equivalent.

The interior is strong with this one.

Inb4 crazy-ass claims about what it can pull, like a bale of clydesdales.

Disappointed there still isn't a diesel available. If I were in the market for a truck that size, the Ram would be getting my business simply because of the diesel.

If you're going to haul heavy crap that you'd need a diesel for, you'd be better off with a bigger truck anyway.

A small diesel would be fantastic in a truck this size or smaller. I have a one ton, dually Cummins that I use if I ever need to tow heavy but a diesel engine in something like this would be perfect for towing a smaller camper somewhere, loading the bed up with dirt or something like that. Hell, it would be great just for highway driving as well since diesels get much better fuel mileage than their gasoline counterparts, especially when towing.

You don't need to be towing or hauling anything to benefit from a diesel engine.

Meh, not sure if I like it.

Good lord is it ugly.

The aluminum is nice, until you get a dent and have to repair it. Steel is cheaper and easier to repair, which also leads me to believe insurance costs will go up up up with this new model.

The ~700lbs weight loss is great, and everyone's laughing at GM for only a 200lb weight loss on their new trucks, but the GM twins were already 300-400lbs lighter than a comparable F150.

Still not sold on the Ecoboom engines. They just don't seem to be achieving Ford's claims for MPG or reliability.

I'd take a new Silverado any day.

Seems like GM and Ford are going for the more beefy muscle look for their trucks. The last F-150 and Silverado seemed rather skinny in comparison to the Ram which was pretty much the pioneer for the whole masculine bulge look. I quite like it...more than the Silverado. The Atlas concept was pretty cool too. But living in Maine, I won't see too many since up here, it's Chevy country.

Meh, not sure if I like it.

Good lord is it ugly.

The aluminum is nice, until you get a dent and have to repair it. Steel is cheaper and easier to repair, which also leads me to believe insurance costs will go up up up with this new model.

The ~700lbs weight loss is great, and everyone's laughing at GM for only a 200lb weight loss on their new trucks, but the GM twins were already 300-400lbs lighter than a comparable F150.

Still not sold on the Ecoboom engines. They just don't seem to be achieving Ford's claims for MPG or reliability.

I'd take a new Silverado any day.
Based on this article http://www.fenderbender.com/FenderBender/January-2013/Reserved-for-Aluminum/ the Ford dealers with body shops cant be thrilled with this new truck.

On the plus side it won't rust, so if you ding it or scrape it there's less concern about it subsequently becoming a nasty-looking craggy hole after a few years. And eventually turning into @Slashfan's truck*.

* Sorry, had to be done :sly:

Not only does that render GM's entry irrelevant... that squashes the only reason to bring the Ranger to the United States.

I'm wondering if its an average of 700 lbs across the board, or, that happens to be the biggest difference when comparing base trim 2.7L EcoBoost to this years 3.7L model.

2015_ford_f-150_08_620x413-jpg.99034

It looks best IMO, with the darker/matte grill. The chrome version shows how large the grill is and takes away from the decent lines around the lights.

Back