• 253 comments

Slash

POWER BY FORD
Premium
United States
Indian Falls, NY
slashfan7964
2016-Nissan-GT-R-details-626x382.jpg

An interesting couple of tidbits of next-generation Nissan GT-R information appeared on JDM tuner site 7tune‘s Facebook page the other day, and if true, would indicate Godzilla’s about to get a lot meaner. The info was accompanied by the photo of a Japanese magazine spread, which is 7tune’s cited source, that shows a rendering of the 2016 GT-R in a striking shade of . . . purple.

Silly color aside, the Japanese magazine purports the GT-R will utilize an updated version of thecurrent car‘s twin-turbocharged V-6 engine making 580 horsepower, and that it will be paired with electric assist. (Today’s base car makes 545 horsepower and the higher-performance NISMO versionnails 595.) This jibes with what we previously reported, that the GT-R likely will get a hybrid powertrain and that it likely would be co-developed with Williams F1 and Nissan’s NISMO division. Total output with the hybrid system? A cool 800-plus horsepower, which sounds good to us.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/alleged-2016-nissan-gt-r-details-800-hp-hybrid-tech-insane-performance/

Well this should be interesting.

Thoughts?

Car and Driver
The info was accompanied by the photo of a Japanese magazine spread, which is 7tune’s cited source, that shows a rendering of the 2016 GT-R in a striking shade of . . . purple.

Silly color aside, the Japanese magazine purports...
Silly CaD doesn't know their GT-R history; even their sister publication Road & Track has a recent story on this. :P

800 horsepower? No way. Certainly not if the GT-R is to stay in the "Affordable" price bracket they've always been in.

I'll wait and see but if this is the case I might need to make a point of buying the final generation of real GT-R's before we move into this dark world of hybrids and overstyled rubbish.

Once again... Only renders. Hmm... There were renders of what the Nismo R35 would look like (but the renders were released while it was in production at the ring), and those renders looked close to the actual product. Still, it is just a render.

Let's wait it out a little longer.

800hp AND a hybrid system? Wonder how much that will bump the price. The GT-R already has significant price hikes yearly.

Coincidentally, has Nissan ever turned a profit on the GT-R?

This is definitely interesting as Im really fascinated with hybrid tech when is comes to performance cars. I think we will see this car in November of 2015 at the Tokyo Motor Show then on sale in the spring of 2016

I am going to most likely wait a year or so for the NISMO version as Im probably not willing to give up my NISMO R35 for a non NISMO R36

Coincidentally, has Nissan ever turned a profit on the GT-R?

Yes

........... the final generation of real GT-R's.............

I think this was the same line of thought some had about the R34 before the R35 came out and there was talk about dual clutch ect.....

Last edited:
I think this was the same line of thought some had about the R34 before the R35 came out and there was talk about dual clutch ect.....

Well it's a darn good thing it was a different person who said it then huh? otherwise that could be considered one of those contradinks.

it just shows how its all about perspective.

some saw the RB engine manuals as the last pure GTR and there was a fear the VR38 wouldnt be able to be tuned and the DCT would take away drive involvement.

but now 6 years later with a hybrid on the way some will see the R35 itself as the last "tuner" friendly GTR

to me the GTR is all about evolving technology so I welcome it. If the R36 can replicate 80%+ of what the P1/918 does for under 150K...thats as ground breaking as it being able to match or beat Carerra GT/Enzo performance for 70K when it came out

it just shows how its all about perspective.

some saw the RB engine manuals as the last pure GTR and there was a fear the VR38 wouldnt be able to be tuned and the DCT would take away drive involvement.

but now 6 years later with a hybrid on the way some will see the R35 itself as the last "tuner" friendly GTR

to me the GTR is all about evolving technology so I welcome it. If the R36 can replicate 80%+ of what the P1/918 does for under 150K...thats as ground breaking as it being able to match or beat Carerra GT/Enzo performance for 70K when it came out

Once again I must ask, what exactly does what someone else said have to do with my opinion?

im not talking to you directly you just brought up a good point. so im just sharing some insightful info to the thread in general

I wonder if this GTR is going to come with a personal robot to completely do all the driving for you, or perhaps it will transform and just run around the track with the driver in its hand.

I like it, i can see it coming out at the same RRP as the Nismo GTR just Released. 800hp with hybrid, so maybe 680hp with 120hp Electric power. Everyone seems to be going for the famous silhouette that people known but changing the features enough that its looks new and modern (LED everything and futuristic design).

Original was 60k to rival porsche, audi, maybe ferrari and The Baby Lambo. Nothing stopping them aiming for the Big Boys and promotion the Z to supercar rival, maybe a 400Z or 320ZS (superchargered v6) as they did mention a baby Z coming out, ZG reborn.

Worst thing thought, i wish the 35 would drop in price once this is released but, the 34 havent dropped from 40k in 6 years and the 33 is still hovering around the 25k mark. Bit annoying but i will buy one, be it a 34 or 35.

Last edited:
I think the GT-R will probably go on a diet. The thing is a beast, not so much in size but mostly in weight. Every aspect of its performance could benefit from losing 100 or more pounds and I don't think it would be especially difficult to do.

Back