GT5 Game Data

• Thread starter BPaumen
  • 14 comments
United States
St. Cloud, MN
Is there any point to keeping my GT5 save data? It's taking up 12 gig on my hard drive, and I don't especially plan on playing it again for a while but I also worry about doing something stupid that I cant undo.

You could transfer it to a flash drive or similar external storage device if you want a back up copy, otherwise its a personal decision that only you can make

I would only backup my game save data! Not the game data & game updates!
The number you mention (12Gb) is probably the installment of the game on HDD ... you don't have to save that one ... do you ?

As Squanto says you only need backup your SAVE DATA not your GAME DATA. As far as I know your progress and garage details are in the Save Data.

If you're wanting to free up some space to install another game then deleting the Game Data is the way to go. You can always reinstall that data whereas deleting your Save Data will lose you your game progress.

Last edited:
My old ps3 was the 40gb model so I've uninstalled/reinstalled the game data many times and not lost my save data, so its definitely safe to do so.

They say there are two types of hard drive. Those which have failed and those which will fail!

Being paranoid, I back up my PS3 regularly to an old 500GB USB hard drive. The PS3 backup utility allows you to keep multiple backups from different dates on the external drive. I keep the last 4 or 5 backups, and delete the old ones when I think they are no longer of any use.

You might consider the simple solution of backing up the entire system as well as just backing up the game save data.

For my GT (and other) photos I have a much more extensive backup regime involving about 5 copies. Just in case.

That reminds me... Something I will add is my PS3 had to be replaced a month or so ago so I transferred just the Save Data I'd backed up via PS Plus' backup utility. I've been slowly installing the Game Data on my new PS3 as I go and so far I haven't lost any progress in any of my games.

With GT6 I lost all my photos and saved replays though (luckily that was all that was lost and I'd exported most the photos I wanted anyway) so I'm not sure if that might happen with GT5 as well.

But when PD shut down GT5 online, will that also include the ability to update the game to the latest version? If you delete the 15GB or so of game data without backing it up, you might never be able to download it again.

I've got a backup going. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I'm never too keen on throwing data away, so I lean towards replacing the internal drive with a larger one. I had an 80 gig drive and popped in a 500 to replace it. The procedure to transfer stuff over is pretty simple, especially if you're not actually replacing the PS3. I haven't done that yet.

If you go that path, make sure you buy a 7200 rpm drive, or for more money, a hybrid drive (flash plus hard drive), or for even more a solid state (all flash) drive. And be aware that higher capacity drives are faster than lower capacity drives if everything else is equal.

You'll lose all DLC if you delete your game data, and you won't be able to re-download it once PD shuts down the servers. This is NOT part of the game save data.

VBR
But when PD shut down GT5 online, will that also include the ability to update the game to the latest version? If you delete the 15GB or so of game data without backing it up, you might never be able to download it again.
I wouldn't think so, but of course it's hard to tell. If I remember correctly, I've had a patch download where the online was shut down with another game.

Remember when having a previous GT save data gave you prizes on GT games? Example: if you had GT3, you could get 100k in GT4. Oh and there was that thing in GT 2001 Tokyo-Geneva that if you completed certain races you could unlock 10 milion credits for GT3.

Has anyone here backed up their game DATA (not save data) and are willing to upload it for me to download, ive just decided to go back and play gt5 again, turns out when i try and install the game data, it will freeze, ive looked for solutions online but they have not worked,i have left it to install overnight but when i woke up the next morning it was still on 30 mins remaining, so if anyone is willing to help please let me know :)

Thanks.

Back