G27 Shifter Problem

Canada
Vancouver, BC
liampage123
So I have had this problem for a while now. It happened when I got GT6. I will shift into gear, but the car will just go into neutral, and yes I am shifting correctly. And if not does go into gear eventually the car just goes to neutral. This happens most in first second and third gear. I don't know if it's my shifter or just the game.

It's super annoying and I hardly even play GT6 because if it.

Have any of you had this problem? And is there a solution?

If you do the same movements but very slowly, does it still go to neutral ?

If your answer is yes, then your shifter is probably broken, otherwise you seem to experience the same problem as everybody here... You can vote for a better clutch simulation here and start practicing to decompose properly every movements of shifting (gas pedal off -> clutch pedal on -> gear change -> clutch pedal off -> gas pedal on) .

Last edited:
If you do the same movements but very slowly, does it still go to neutral ?

If your answer is yes, then your shifter is probably broken, otherwise you seem to experience the same problem as everybody here... You can vote for a better clutch simulation here and start practicing to decompose properly every movements of shifting (gas pedal off -> clutch pedal on -> gear change -> clutch pedal off -> gas pedal on) .
I'll try doing it slower, thanks!

I believe sometimes if the RPM's are to high(as in if you are in neutral and floor it and let off quick and put it into gear) it won't go into gear even if the pedals are pressed and not pressed correctly.

Edit: The clutch mapping is very annoying and should be fixed!

So I have had this problem for a while now. It happened when I got GT6. I will shift into gear, but the car will just go into neutral, and yes I am shifting correctly. And if not does go into gear eventually the car just goes to neutral. This happens most in first second and third gear. I don't know if it's my shifter or just the game.

It's super annoying and I hardly even play GT6 because if it.

Have any of you had this problem? And is there a solution?

hmmm ( G27 user here also )

May sound like a silly question but are you depressing the clutch fully ?

It took me around 3 months to use my G27 clutch and shift properly in GT6 because i was constantly using the clutch too lightly. Gran Turismo ( as far as i am aware ) has always had this "issue" where the clutch should be fully engaged for the shift to happen. It even happens to me now, from time to time, when i am not paying enough attention.

If this happens to be the case for you, i urge you to keep sticking with it and be constantly aware with your gear changes, to make sure you FULLY press in your clutch every time. Soon enough it will not register in our brain of course, as with all car driving functionality and you will REALLY start enjoying driving with the clutch and gear stick :) It's such an excellent feeling when it becomes something that works :cheers:

I am sure you may well already be very aware of this ( hence you saying you are shifting correctly ) but i thought i'd raise it anyway, just in case. For me, it really was just a matter of sticking with it even when it was making me furious. LOTS of track time in "Free Run", so i had no AI to deal with,causing panic in front of me. Nordeslife 12km(?).

Is your wheel set up on a frame or clamped to a table/desk ? I had most problems when i had to clamp my wheel and shifter to a computer desk. Everything felt WAY too high and the arm/hand movement really unnatural. Like an articulated lorry shifter almost! I eventually bought a proper "rig" set up and my wheel and shifter are fully clamped in ( no chance of movement, no matter how hard i treat the wheel ) and my shifter is now nice and low and in a comfortable position that feels as it should do, like in a real car.

Apologies for the crummy picture...
1405171702360104.jpg

Also, depends on how you feel about physically modding your G27, but i cannot recommend these two mods highly enough...

GTEye brake pedal mod. Super cheap and super effective:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...gressive-brake-spring-mod-for-g25-g27.241653/

Place the GTEye spring into your pedals for a much better feeling brake and then move the existing, original G27 brake spring over to the clutch instead. This puts a little more feel into the clutch pedal, as the the spring is now, a little stronger.

and

The above mod certainly helped me, personally, with the gear shifting in particular. Changing from 2nd to 3rd, or 4th to 5th was usually a problem, in terms of the stick sometimes slipping back to 3rd or 1st or even sticking. This mode helps smooth out the movement of the stick itself and allows for a much more accurate gear shift, in my personal experience.

One last thing that may or may not make any difference. With a tune ( i am sure one that will suit you very nicely can be found here: https://sites.google.com/site/gt6tunes/touring-cars )
if you have the credits/inclination to buy a Mazda RX-7 Touring Car
gran-turismo-5-dlc-cars-4.jpg

I find that this car, with any of the above tunes from that awesome site, allows for easy shifting. I assume the revs are set in a way that allows you a few more mili-seconds to shift at a pace that won't drop the revs too far. I want to add, of course, this is purely in my experience. It may have absolutely no effect on your driving at all, because we all prefer different cars and driving style of course ). I just am trying to think of as many options as possible, no matter how odd they may be :) I don't want to point you in a direction that may end up being a complete waste of credits in your game save !

Hope this helps !

Last edited:
It's not your shifter, it's GT6. The same thing happens to me especially in the lower gears, particularly 1st to 2nd and going uphill. Sometimes it takes me 5 attempts to get the next gear before it accepts the shift. I have absolutely no problems with my shifter on any of my PC sims.

It's PD's super annoying BS shift logic.

P.S. In case it wasn't clear I have the G27

EDIT: I should also point out I rarely upgrade transmissions, I drove almost every car in stock form so maybe it's something to do with that? Not sure.

I'm having a problem with my G25 shifter. Sometimes, when I use the sequential option, the car jumps from 2nd to 4 gear or 3rd to 5. It happens only on GT6, I play Dirt games, GRID, NFS shift 2 and everything works fine.

hmmm ( G27 user here also )

May sound like a silly question but are you depressing the clutch fully ?

It took me around 3 months to use my G27 clutch and shift properly in GT6 because i was constantly using the clutch too lightly. Gran Turismo ( as far as i am aware ) has always had this "issue" where the clutch should be fully engaged for the shift to happen. It even happens to me now, from time to time, when i am not paying enough attention.

If this happens to be the case for you, i urge you to keep sticking with it and be constantly aware with your gear changes, to make sure you FULLY press in your clutch every time. Soon enough it will not register in our brain of course, as with all car driving functionality and you will REALLY start enjoying driving with the clutch and gear stick :) It's such an excellent feeling when it becomes something that works :cheers:

I am sure you may well already be very aware of this ( hence you saying you are shifting correctly ) but i thought i'd raise it anyway, just in case. For me, it really was just a matter of sticking with it even when it was making me furious. LOTS of track time in "Free Run", so i had no AI to deal with,causing panic in front of me. Nordeslife 12km(?).

Is your wheel set up on a frame or clamped to a table/desk ? I had most problems when i had to clamp my wheel and shifter to a computer desk. Everything felt WAY too high and the arm/hand movement really unnatural. Like an articulated lorry shifter almost! I eventually bought a proper "rig" set up and my wheel and shifter are fully clamped in ( no chance of movement, no matter how hard i treat the wheel ) and my shifter is now nice and low and in a comfortable position that feels as it should do, like in a real car.

Apologies for the crummy picture...
1405171702360104.jpg

Also, depends on how you feel about physically modding your G27, but i cannot recommend these two mods highly enough...

GTEye brake pedal mod. Super cheap and super effective:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...gressive-brake-spring-mod-for-g25-g27.241653/

Place the GTEye spring into your pedals for a much better feeling brake and then move the existing, original G27 brake spring over to the clutch instead. This puts a little more feel into the clutch pedal, as the the spring is now, a little stronger.

and

The above mod certainly helped me, personally, with the gear shifting in particular. Changing from 2nd to 3rd, or 4th to 5th was usually a problem, in terms of the stick sometimes slipping back to 3rd or 1st or even sticking. This mode helps smooth out the movement of the stick itself and allows for a much more accurate gear shift, in my personal experience.
I have the GTEYE and also highly recommend it. Huge difference in feel now.

I am going to dig up some velcro and buy an O-ring and do that shifter mod today...thanks

This is nothing to do with the Clutch model in the game which is fine a clutch doesnt change gear its the gearbox model when using the clutch.

This is nothing to do with the Clutch model in the game which is fine a clutch doesnt change gear its the gearbox model when using the clutch.
lol Are you sure? Even LFS and rFactor have a better clutch model.
Just saying...if you're doing constant mis-shifts, then its not the wheel...it's the way the game is simulated. Even the oversteering physics are not simulated correctly either.

lol Are you sure? Even LFS and rFactor have a better clutch model.
Just saying...if you're doing constant mis-shifts, then its not the wheel...it's the way the game is simulated. Even the oversteering physics are not simulated correctly either.

Theres nothing wrong with GT's clutch model, it has a clear biting point, they could add fade/wear but it works as a real clutch would stopping or allowing the power to go from the engine to the drivetrain, not changing gear or causing your car to be in neutral when your gearstick is clearly in a gear this is a problem of the manual gearbox when using the clutch model because its like they have coded it so that you must have low rpm, & clutch fully pressed to change gear with the clutch when these are not a must in real life to change gear.

I have the GTEYE and also highly recommend it. Huge difference in feel now.

I am going to dig up some velcro and buy an O-ring and do that shifter mod today...thanks

My advice, do it without the O-ring. If you use a velcro strip with an adhesive side, it fits snug so if you add an O-ring, it might become too stiff/short and maybe not get into gears. I did this a few years ago, just make sure you work in the "corners" (1,2 5,6) of the gearbox before you race, it's bulks up quite a bit so you need to wear the velcro down a bit.

Theres nothing wrong with GT's clutch model, it has a clear biting point, they could add fade/wear but it works as a real clutch would stopping or allowing the power to go from the engine to the drivetrain, not changing gear or causing your car to be in neutral when your gearstick is clearly in a gear this is a problem of the manual gearbox when using the clutch model because its like they have coded it so that you must have low rpm, & clutch fully pressed to change gear with the clutch when these are not a must in real life to change gear.
In GT5 I had the same issue as the OP but it was obviously due to "improper" clutch work, it felt to me like there were two stages of clutch that PD modeled, one for engage/disengage, and one for going into gears. I have not played any other game that has clutch modeled decently to compare but I believe @TakumiFuji01 is correct since he has compared to other, better games.

Also, I compare to GT5 because I have not been able to use my G27 with GT6 yet, but I believe that they didn't put any work into "improving" clutch work any.

It most certainly is the way the clutch is modeled in GT6. I've been driving a manual trans since I was 12 years old, I've never owned and automatic trans car in my life, needless to say shifting is almost like breathing to me, and I pretty consistently get "missed shifts" or "N" in GT6. Since switching back to PC sims I have yet to get a single missed shift.

Last edited:
It's not your shifter, it's GT6. The same thing happens to me especially in the lower gears, particularly 1st to 2nd and going uphill. Sometimes it takes me 5 attempts to get the next gear before it accepts the shift. I have absolutely no problems with my shifter on any of my PC sims.

It's PD's super annoying BS shift logic.

P.S. In case it wasn't clear I have the G27

EDIT: I should also point out I rarely upgrade transmissions, I drove almost every car in stock form so maybe it's something to do with that? Not sure.
Same thing happens with me, I also drive cars in nearly stock form. Hopefully an update settles this.

Same thing happens with me, I also drive cars in nearly stock form. Hopefully an update settles this.

I wouldn't get your hopes up... It's been like this since GT5. It's also taken PD until this last patch to do anything about the broken camber and pit stop tire glitches, and even both of those are being debated weather they're actually fixed.

What the users said above + I was expecting GT to do better for Simcade (or Sim for Console) since rFactor & LFS are older and GT6 is new so you probably understand what I mean.

Hope this helps !

It most certainly is the way the clutch is modeled in GT6. I've been driving a manual trans since I was 12 years old, I've never owned and automatic trans car in my life, needless to say shifting is almost like breathing to me, and I pretty consistently get "missed shifts" or "N" in GT6. Since switching back to PC sims I have yet to get a single missed shift.

The clutch model is fine, Clutches dont change gear so how can it be the fault of the clutch its the gearbox model when using a clutch. Apart from wear/fade the clutch model is basically the same as Rfactor or LFS or SRW, but all these games have better GEARBOX models that go in whatever gear the stick is in regardless off clutch being pressed or being at a low rpm. There isnt much that can make it better, its a clutch. like I said adding wear/fade or being able to adjust biting point may be good but not essential & none of that would fix the GEARBOX model issues that cause these shifting to N problems.

The clutch model is fine, Clutches dont change gear so how can it be the fault of the clutch its the gearbox model when using a clutch. Apart from wear/fade the clutch model is basically the same as Rfactor or LFS or SRW, but all these games have better GEARBOX models that go in whatever gear the stick is in regardless off clutch being pressed or being at a low rpm. There isnt much that can make it better, its a clutch. like I said adding wear/fade or being able to adjust biting point may be good but not essential & none of that would fix the GEARBOX model issues that cause these shifting to N problems.
Re-read my post please, there is an issue with the clutch...

Edit: I have always needed to have the clutch completely on the floor to put it in gear in GT series.

The clutch was nerfed in GT5 and this was carried over in GT6. If you shift up or down with any throttle applied at all then the car will automatically go into neutral. This means you need to be careful when you're downshifting with heel and toe, make sure the car is actually in gear (but you're still holding down the clutch pedal) before you blip the throttle otherwise the car will go straight into neutral and will probably make you miss the turn.

Also, if you're a drifter and you try and shift while the wheels are still spinning then it will go straight into neutral which is annoying as 🤬 .

Back