Say hello to the Google autonomous car

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 81 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
Cute little thing. :P

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/28/google-unveils-fully-autonomous-hands-free-car-video/

google-car-1.jpg

Welcome to the future, friends. Google has unveiled its first self-driving car. This isn't like past attempts, though. It's not a Toyota Prius or Lexus RX with a bunch of bulky computer equipment, but Google's very own car, built from scratch. That'd be a big enough deal in and of itself, but this car is exciting for another reason – there are no manual controls. No brake pedal, gas pedal, gear shift or steering wheel. It's completely and totally autonomous, requiring nothing more than an address.

"On the inside, we've designed for learning, not luxury." – Chris Urmson

As is the case with most autonomous cars, Google's latest effort depends on a series of cameras and sensors to let the computer know what's happening around it. We've already detailed Google's most recent advances in this regard.

The car, which was unveiled by CEO Sergey Brin yesterday, is limited to 25 miles per hour. The interior is as basic as the car's top speed, with little more than a set of seats. Interior trim is limited – the roof, for example, looks like bare sheetmetal with an integrated roll cage.

"On the inside, we've designed for learning, not luxury, so we're light on creature comforts, but we'll have two seats (with seat belts), a space for passengers' belongings, buttons to start and stop and a screen that shows the route-and that's about it," wrote the director for Google's self-driving car project, Chris Urmson, in a blog post.

According to Urmson, Google will build about 100 prototypes, with testing set to begin later this summer. As for public use, the tech giant is aiming to launch a California-based pilot program "in the next few years."

I like the idea of this self driving car thing, but I have a few problems with it.

The earlier cars had steering wheel and gas/brake pedals, you can have human control over it which I liked unlike this onewhich you have no control over.
It may be good for elderly or blind people to help them get around.
But then there is an problem with it, what happens when you get to the address you put in to it? Does it leave you in the middle of the road or pull into the parking lot? If it is working on GPS/navigation, it reaches its destination in the road not in a parking lot.

Are they trying to make it a car that people own or more of a taxi? personally I think a taxi thing will work a lot better.

In major metropolitan areas, it makes a lot of sense. Relieving congestion, lowering pedestrian collisions, and eliminating emissions for large parts of the city. As a taxi service, it would free up a lot of space, and for some drivers, probably be a much better way to get home during high traffic times. However, without some kind of manual override, that has to be a little creepy. Maybe, maybe not. Until I go for a ride in one, I can't really make that call.

Out here where there is a bit more space, however, that's where it stops making sense. With a speed limit of 25 miles, its small size, and space for only two passengers - it just won't cut it. But, it seems like Google knows that, and my guess is, we'll see a lot of these in places like San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago and New York. Everyone else will probably just have Google's optional "Google Driver" system available on most vehicles in the near-future, letting you turn it on and off when you please. And as someone who recently did the 13 hours to Atlanta drive, that would have been a nice thing to have for when I felt like I needed a nap 3/4s of the way through.

Worthless to me without controls. I have no issue whatsoever with computers driving, but I have an issue if I can't drive. Would make for terribly boring travel. If this was to become an option for a taxi service it's on the right track. As a replacement for my own car, I have absolutely no interest.

My view on these:

It's only going to work with tiny personal mobility things, which are great for light travel.

Secondly, I feel that autonomous systems will take their place alongside automatics and manuals, as a simple option package.

SVX
Close enough?

^^Google car just needs mood lighting and a wagging tail, like the POD. That was a brilliant car... Shame we haven't seen it in a Gran Turismo game since GT Concept.

I still have my doubts that an autonomous car will work in the real world (Particularly if there are bad drivers everywhere). People who don't signal on roundabouts, or signal incorrectly... Could a computer really read and fully understand the 'body language' of other drivers as well as a person can?

One scenario which comes into mind: What happens when this autonomous car reaches a roundabout with congestion on it? If it will only give way to the right, then you'll cause a traffic jam for everyone waiting in line behind you. Usually in this case people on the roundabout would wave you in to help traffic flow. How would a computer know if someone is trying to let you in?

All things considered, I'm excited about this technology. It will mean that people not interested in driving can buy one of these and not clog up the roads for people who enjoy driving.

One scenario which comes into mind: What happens when this autonomous car reaches a roundabout with congestion on it? If it will only give way to the right, then you'll cause a traffic jam for everyone waiting in line behind you. Usually in this case people on the roundabout would wave you in to help traffic flow. How would a computer know if someone is trying to let you in?

I believe the implication is that the cars would be calculating so quickly that they would be able to notice what another vehicle is doing, and if there were another Google Driver there, that they would be able to communicate between the two of them to let a vehicle in.

Given the relative scarcity of roundabouts in the US, I'm not sure if Google would program for that or not. Eventually, probably, definitely.

I'm gonna screw with autonomous cars so hard. What will they do when I know exactly how long my car is and fit into that gap on the highway with a foot to spare? Slam on the brakes? Well that's their problem - I have plenty of room, not sure about them.

I'm gonna screw with autonomous cars so hard. What will they do when I know exactly how long my car is and fit into that gap on the highway with a foot to spare? Slam on the brakes? Well that's their problem - I have plenty of room, not sure about them.
So what you're saying is, the biggest problem with autonomous cars are all the other moronic humans on the roads?...

Usually in this case people on the roundabout would wave you in to help traffic flow. How would a computer know if someone is trying to let you in?
I wonder too if it can pick up someone waving you in from inside their car.

But that got me thinking, what would it do if a cop was directing traffic? How long will it stand there if the cop is not holding his/her hand up telling it to stop? Will it go if the cop waves it through a red light?

^^Google car just needs mood lighting and a wagging tail, like the POD. That was a brilliant car... Shame we haven't seen it in a Gran Turismo game since GT Concept.

It was a neat little car and ended up basically becoming the WiLL Vi. I remember that crazy POD race in GT Concept where you had to stop and go over a massive hump :lol:

As for Google's effort, its slightly too 'Fisher Price' IMO.

I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.

I'd love to have a self driving system on my car, it would make travelling so much nicer. Flip it on and take a nap after work while it shuttles you home or while you do several hours on a long freeway stint. I'm curious to see how this will all work out.

The upside will be sticking people who don't care about driving into predictable little boxes with no bad habits (in theory). The downside will be when people begin advocating to remove the controls from everyone else, not because it's likely to happen in our lifetimes (I don't think it is), but because of the annoying whining that will unfold from both sides.

SkyNet: the beginning.

Google is SkyNet

Seriously though, there are some great school in California that have Automotive engineers graduating that Google should offer jobs to if they haven't already, so the can design something better than this...and whose idea was it to leave the camera up top exposed like that with out any designed housing that wont create drag?

Or is this gal a surface streets only type car :sly: good luck with trying to visit grandma in this.

Do a mario kart version with shells ready to launch.

It just goes against everything I love. Of course I'm not going to like it. You should have expected that from me :lol:

It looks like a cute lil' animal! D'awww.

With a top speed of 25mph it would be leaving the locals around here far behind.

Google is SkyNet

Seriously though, there are some great school in California that have Automotive engineers graduating that Google should offer jobs to if they haven't already, so the can design something better than this

I'll move to California if they need a spare Automotive engineer... :P

...and whose idea was it to leave the camera up top exposed like that with out any designed housing that wont create drag?

Probably not your biggest concern when you have a top speed of 25mph.

Back