Future of the Current Tracks (with Poll)

• Thread starter bman1984
  • 145 comments

Is it time to do away with the last generation tracks?

• Total voters
United States
United States
I know I’m possibly in for a quite virtual beat down with this touchy subject, but I have to know.... *THE FOLLOWING INCLUDES MY OPINIONS*

So after going through the threads relating to the standard cars, it got me thinking, what about the tracks? You see the track environment and trackside elements much, much more than the cars. I’ve read comments over a long period of time mentioning things like outdated, poor textures, 2D and so on. I’m not talking about the accuracy of for example the time period of the 1980’s versions of Brands Hatch and Monza. Immersion (that old time feeling) is missing from those. I’m talking about the overall location/track representation.

I’m no professional, but compare Nurburgring or Circuit de la Sarthe to say Grand Valley, Trial Mountain or Deep Forest Raceway. Really? Even Laguna Seca IN MY OPINION isn’t “premium”, comparable to the cars exterior model. Heck none of those even have Day/Night transition or at the very least Weather Changes (Rain/Fog), comparable to cars detailed interiors. Eiger Nordwand still says “2006” on the Start/Finish banner. Does that go also? I mean that’s EONS ago, we can’t have that!! Maybe it’s a good thing they don’t being back many last generation tracks like Midfield or Seattle. It’s too bad though.

I’m guessing those who feel the standard cars have to go, including the closest thing we have to Porsche being RUF or the Formula Gran Turismo and vast array of formula cars it races against (oh wait), would also like to see these outdated, low quality tracks removed. I have my opinions on the cars and a compromise, but that’s not the topic at hand here. My point is standards are standards across the board, cars AND tracks. That goes for those old outdated racing wheels also. You know, the Logitech Driving Force GT, G25, G27. It’s all about 2014 and the future, so get your wallets out.

I want to be clear, I’m not saying I want a Playstation 4 game to look like it’s from 1999. But some members on here make the standard cars seem like they’re from 1979. In this instance, something is better than nothing. I’m not talking about 10+ variations of the same car, but not having the whole Porsche I mean RUF dealership because of their... looks just as an example. I feel the same with the tracks. Yes, I’d like to see them touched up, better yet made “Nurburgring” like quality or heck even better for the PS4, just like the cars. So my vote is NO. Like the appropriate cars, I’d like to see the tracks return also.

The poll is simple, you see the question and straight forward answers, no games or BS. No one is forcing you to contribute or vote. Please leave the complaining and silly comments elsewhere. Reasonable conversation and opinions are very much welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

They're not as bad as the cars, but it'd be nice if they were updated. Poll options are a bit one-sided though.
You have yes, no, and don't want to say, how is that one-sided?

If the cars are in, might as well put the tracks in too.

They're not as bad as the cars
Blotchy textures, faceted hillsides and cliff faces, trees made of three flat planes... sure, they're glorious in comparison to Standard cars. ;)

Anyhow, I've only been arguing this point off and on for years. But for some reason around here, Standard tracks add variety and give us racing options. But Standard cars don't... still waiting on an explanation for that.

In any case, I'm one of those asking for ALL the legacy tracks to be included in GT7, even as Standards. Because, like the cars, having a track sure beats the heck out of not having a track.

Lego Gran Turismo. All cars and tracks rendered in legoland with GT6 physics.
12658211971_SPLASH.jpg

Stop. Motion. Replays!

So once again people would rather have poor quality rather than nothing at all. I'm confused, this never happens with other games, it never happened with GT games before GT4. Why now are mixed quality GT games ok? When PS2 came around I doubt anyone was thinking "The next GT is sure to look amazing but I hope they include PS1 cars and tracks as well".

PD must love that they can half ass a game and get away with it, fans don't care and if someone does dare suggest a game should have consistent visuals they're told not to look at the bad bits, as if that solves the problem.

People seemingly don't want GT to move forward, they're happy to keep playing the same PS2 and PS3 game they already have. Personally I want a new game.

I would choose "Update the old tracks". This would be enough for me, but it's different to the cars, because they need an interior as I only drive with cockpit camera. I don't care about the standard cars because I am not using them anyway.

What is wrong with the world today? People want more not less? Evolution came to an end! We are all doomed!:gtpflag:

What I'm getting at is that during any console transition in history it's never been thought of by any developer or player that graphics from the last system would be carried over as is. I know the jumps in quality were much vaster in the past but still, when PS2 games started getting shown nobody expected or wanted to see PS1 assets. Sure people are disappointed if games lose some content, as they were when GT3 got features but they appreciated the need to start again with each new generation. They know there are, excuse the pun, standards to be met with a new console. They weren't begging them to throw in the PS1 tracks missing just because it's better than nothing, they craved them being updated to PS2 graphics as is logical. Same with PS2 to PS3 or Xbox to Xbox 360, nobody would have expected to see a game with old gen assets in them. When GT5 Prologue came out were people clamoring for them to add in old PS2 assets in, warts and all? I doubt it.

Of course in general more is better but in this specific circumstance, in the video game industry, this was unheard of before GT5 announced it would do it and in the rest of the industry it's still unheard of. Developers and gamers alike still appreciate the need to have new visuals for the new console generation. All except it seems a few GT fans.

Why would you be happy to drive a PS2/PS3 looking track with PS2/PS3 looking cars on your shiny new PS4? What's the point of the new hardware if you're happy for developers to just have the games look like the last generation? New generation, new console, new assets. That's how it's always worked and always will work, except for PD land.

What I'm getting at is that during any console transition in history it's never been thought of by any developer or player that graphics from the last system would be carried over as is. I know the jumps in quality were much vaster in the past but still, when PS2 games started getting shown nobody expected or wanted to see PS1 assets. Sure people are disappointed if games lose some content, as they were when GT3 got features but they appreciated the need to start again with each new generation. They know there are, excuse the pun, standards to be met with a new console. They weren't begging them to throw in the PS1 tracks missing just because it's better than nothing, they craved them being updated to PS2 graphics as is logical. Same with PS2 to PS3 or Xbox to Xbox 360, nobody would have expected to see a game with old gen assets in them. When GT5 Prologue came out were people clamoring for them to add in old PS2 assets in, warts and all? I doubt it.

Of course in general more is better but in this specific circumstance, in the video game industry, this was unheard of before GT5 announced it would do it and in the rest of the industry it's still unheard of. Developers and gamers alike still appreciate the need to have new visuals for the new console generation. All except it seems a few GT fans.

Why would you be happy to drive a PS2/PS3 looking track with PS2/PS3 looking cars on your shiny new PS4? What's the point of the new hardware if you're happy for developers to just have the games look like the last generation? New generation, new console, new assets. That's how it's always worked and always will work, except for PD land.

Nintendo likes this post

Considering the types of threads which typically get locked, I'm surprised this one hasn't as well. Post a legit poll without the bias in the options or don't post at all.

Personally, if it was up to me. I'd remove all of the Original tracks, including some of the city tracks because of the low, unrealistic look some of them have (Trail Mountain for example). Well, most. 'Tokyo R-whatever the number' is hasn't been updated since GT4, similarly with Cote De Azure. These need to be removed.

I think they should have only real life tracks in the game where the models are accurate and represented properly. Removing all of the old, pretty dull original tracks would free up space for some real ground work on the remaining Real Life tracks. I agree that there are some good tracks from 'back in the day' but it's a game meant to simulate the real world of racing and putting in made up cars on made up tracks kinda ruins it a little for me. So I say remove the original tracks, including city and rally tracks, and re-do the real tracks to make them all change weather (not necessarily time change) and make some new assets. Get some licenses for real street tracks like Adelaide, Macau etc and put some rally stages in to replicate real life stages(point to point) and not stupid 2 mile long circles.

If PD was to just use the Premium cars we already have as well as the real world locations we would still have a game larger than it's competitors, i.e Forza 5, Driveclub etc.

I don't see why it is such an issue to have only 500 cars and 50 tracks that are all at the same good quality. Just look at GT3. That game had very small amounts of content compared to GT2 and GT4 but it was solely a new game for the new generation. What is the massive problem with doing the same this time around? Which is what they should have done with GT5 in the first place and we wouldn't be having this ludicrous debate right now.

Samus I want 1000 tracks and 2000 cars. I want weather cange. I want day/night cycle. I want 10000h of gameplay. I want more cars on the track. If this is only possible with lowest graphics than some Forza, Pcars offer than I'm ok with it. I don't want the gameplay suffer becouse of HD-nex gen standards.

Samus I want 1000 tracks and 2000 cars. I want weather cange. I want day/night cycle. I want 10000h of gameplay. I want more cars on the track. If this is only possible with lowest graphics than some Forza, Pcars offer than I'm ok with it. I don't want the gameplay suffer becouse of HD-nex gen standards.

Well I'm glad you're not in charge of making modern video games, put it that way. It sounds like you'd have PS1 sprites zipping round PS4 tracks if it meant more content.

I don't know why having a PS4 game look like a PS4 game at all times is such an alien concept. Like I said, this practice is not done or accepted literally anywhere else in gaming.

Last edited:
Like I said, this practice is not done or accepted literally anywhere else in gaming.
GT is unique in many aspects. Some we like, some we hate. Thank god we are all different and we live in a non-perfect world. Would be soo boring if it wasn't like it is.

Unique in that it has droves of fans who will literally buy whatever is shoveled in front of them and vehemently defend their choices? I guess so.

Personally I think the problem here is nostalgia,and that's harming progression. A great deal of us have played the series for a long time, some of us since day one, and have liked the "original" tracks in each one. The problem is that because they're coming back for instalments on consoles that they were not originally designed for, they look poor by comparison with the purpose made models. (Also goes for the cars)
For example, the PS2 could output in a relatively high definition but at the time the games were out, most tv's were running at nearly 1/3rd the resolution of current gen tv's. I believe it's being masked by using the original development res versions made by PD, thus making it less visibly nauseous, but even still it's not exactly a HD reboot.

How is it harming progression? Well it means that less new tracks are being rendered, in favour of tidying up tracks we've already played so often.
Let me put it another way, when the Redbull Ring was added I already knew all the good driving lines, having played the track substantially on Grid 2.
When Spa came to GT5 I already knew all the good lines having played it to death on Shift. (The same could be said with Willow Springs and Shift.)

They seem to be playing a very long game of catch up with, what are considered to be, massively inferior games just because they're unwilling to move on from the past. Bring them back, long after launching with brand new tracks, but only as a free optional "Gran Turismo Historic Series" DLC pack.

Simply put people don't seem to want a NEW game, with new content. They want to cling on to the old content they've always had, no matter what the quality. I get that GT is a driving game, it's not a game with a story and characters that needs to be done newly every game but it still needs to move on and evolve, not just keep using the same content over and over. We've driven some of these cars and tracks since GT1, would it really be so awful if instead we drove something new, on a new track?

Imagine this, for GT7 everything was brand new. There was no carried over tracks, no carried over cars, just a completely new experience. That's obviously silly and not going to happen but imagine it did, it would be a brand new game. You can still play the old games and experience those, but GT7 would be new. I personally would really enjoy that hypothetically, but it seems many people here wouldn't because they MUST also have the old stuff.

Last edited:
While the premium car models are good enough for PS4 (just) with a bit of smoothing out (e.g Mercedes SL 55 interior vents - eww) the tracks I would hope should receive some form of improvement. PD can't really get away with what they've got currently on GT6 when the competition they'll be judged against (FM5, DriveClub) is showing scenery leaps and bounds above. PD claimed that GT5 and 6 pushed the boundaries of the PS3, I'd expect them to do the same on PS4.

I would by the game no mather what. If not else just to try the new game. Like I bought all GT games so far. I'm opened to all solutions even if its in contrast to what I want.

The original tracks of Gran Turismo 1 and 2 are the best of any game I've played, bar none. I would like to see them remain in the series as I don't think track designs created fresh would be of the same standard. However for me, if they're not re-done to PS4 quality then they have to go.

Back