Damage in GT7 Discussion

• Thread starter Earth
  • 135 comments
Ah, this video. Well, it sure points out the lack of such an important factor of racing.

I hate to see people saying this isn't a crash simulator or whatever - people, crashing and damage is part of racing, like it or not! Go watch Le Mans and then tell me damage is unnecessary for a driving simulator... :rolleyes: The Heavy mechanical damage online adds more realism and tension, doesn't it? So why not have also visual damage, car failures, punctures and all the other stuff that comes with racing? Every normal driving simulator has damage, I don't see why GT can be an exception.

I bet GT7 doesn't need realistic car damage. A lot of manufacture would disagree as it is bad for marketing.
Other games don't have a problem adding far more comprehensive damage models to their cars. Some manufacturers may object but you can leave them out of the damage modeling.

At Project Cars the wheels are literally coming off:lol:

10590593_827835160613847_4342415177225482970_n.jpg

I would love to, I have been wanting them to introduce damage since GT1 but sadly it doesn't look like it will ever happen.

According to one of the main guys in PCars some manufacturers don't have any problems with showing realistic damage while some do. They have decided to show a bit of damage that is consistent throughout all manufacturers. I would like for a game to be made with only those who have no reservations in regards to showing damage because I think it would have a lot of success, then the ones who are hesitant or think it is bad marketing would join once the game has sold a few million copies.

Damage was one of the main reasons why I bought Forza 5 and although it is great compared to GT it is still pretty far from showing what it happens to real cars, especially road cars.

Maybe they think we will never make the connection that thousands of people die every day (or more like hundreds?) around the world in car accidents if we just keep seeing those shiny cars in the dealerships. I don't know I think it is a bit stupid, in other games you get to run over people or shoot them mercilessly but we can't see what would happen to a car if it would hit another at 100Km/h. As @Gotgame141 said I think it would promote safety. You could make it so that damage is permanent so if the crash is big you lose the car and you lose credits or even worse you die and you have to start your career all over again.

car.jpg
car-crash.jpeg

I would assume that GT will eventually have a damage model but not while Standard cars are present. GT8 should surely see these banished to the pixelated scrapyard in the sky. You cannot have damage for select cars - It is an all or nothing feature.

You're talking NFS: Porsche Unleashed Territory there I miss that about that game a lot it made me appericate cars WAY MORE!

That's the thing about Damage if done properly it makes you love that car way more that's why I love Porsche IRL to this day it will always be my #1 favorite car.

Lets hope future of GT bible goes:
And on the 7th day Kaz said - Let there be damage ;)[/QUOT,

Doubt it, lol, i have ps just for gt, and now that g2x logitech wheels dont werk, im moving on to pc racing games, no way im buying a ps4 , new wheel and gt7, assetto corsa,lfs and rfactor here i come, its been a good run with you pd

toms318bmw

I know you didn't mean to do, but you put your actual post within the quote lol.

Still though hold out some hope I still have a little hope that GT7 comes through even with the mishap dealing with Standard Cars. Because I can give them the excuse of PS3 being hard to code for, but only so much. Because it wasn't that hard for others that they could have learned from.

I wanted to have better damage effects back in GT4, but now, you would not get my vote. I just turn it off in the options menu. I understand the need and logic for it in a real simulation but it would detract from MY enjoyment of racing. I really enjoy the destruction in the Need for Speed series, very cool, it's an arcade game, it's a crazy form of non-simulated racing. If in the mood for that kind of visuals I'd play NFS, now for GT, I don't care for it anymore.

I wanted to have better damage effects back in GT4, but now, you would not get my vote. I just turn it off in the options menu. I understand the need and logic for it in a real simulation but it would detract from MY enjoyment of racing. I really enjoy the destruction in the Need for Speed series, very cool, it's an arcade game, it's a crazy form of non-simulated racing. If in the mood for that kind of visuals I'd play NFS, now for GT, I don't care for it anymore.

Or we could just have the option to turn it off. Look for a game that calls itself "REAL" anything that's a must feature to have looking at all the games I've either just gotten or had a change to play. Talking Racing games I'd rather have damage that adds more to the dynamic of the race.

It's like playing NBA 2K15 with no out of bounds/fouls if you don't have damage at this point in time.

Hopefully visual damage will be (much) better in GT7. Games like Project CARS and Forza 5 have really good damage modeling and from what I could tell from NFS Rivals, Ferrari is not so strict about damage modeling anymore :D

GT7 will be for the PS4 and it will be a laughing stock if it has **** damage modeling. Think about it, GT6 only has scratches and dents while Forza 5 and Need for Speed: Rivals has cracked / burst windshields, dislodged bumpers, missing side view mirrors and such. Even on Ferraris.

DriveClub Rollover and crash Physics.

Completely embarrasses anything ever seen in GT

Now imagine doing this at night at Le Mans. It would certainly scare you and add to the immersion of the game.

http://static2.gamespot.com/uploads/ignore_jpg_scale_super/378/3789400/2677567-8522090840-Mealy.gif

If that's Drive Club the bar has finally been raised this is exactly why I say GT is about to get left behind in fact.

I'll say this Gran Turismo is about the become the Iphone of Video Games where as Forza, PCars, Codemasters games, Drive Club and other games will be HTC, LG, Samsung, Nokia, Sony, and Motorola(take your pick).

At the end of the day I don't know if I said this before, but Gran Turismo spoiled me. Before that knew racing games that had First Person view/Weather/Damage, and people complaining about damage saying it's not that important after looking at these videos y'all have shown, and even playing DIRT, F1, and GRID it is PARAMOUNT THAT DAMAGE BE DONE RIGHT.

Basically we need Immersion that's the name of the game in the PS4/Xbox One/PC/WII U era of gaming it's always been that way, but it's more in the forefront more than ever.

I think they should expand upon the GT5 damage model and add more breakable parts and bits to the cars. But I'm most interested in Mechanical Damage.

Driveclub has great crash physics. They just need to add panel removal (like rFactor) and it would be perfect.

EDIT: Here is a nice one showing how crazy the flips can get. And it sort of resembles those high speed crashes where the force is so great from flipping that parts start to shred off.

Last edited:
Driveclub has great crash physics. They just need to add panel removal (like rFactor) and it would be perfect.

EDIT: Here is a nice one showing how crazy the flips can get. And it sort of resembles those high speed crashes where the force is so great from flipping that parts start to shred off.

i was thinking something about this; different reactions from various parts of the car, the reaction depends on how much you actually spent on that particular thing.
It may seem off topic but lately i was checking on the net various car parts and comparating the reviews with the prices and it's actually interesting how the car parts world is different from the car world itsellf, and it'd be pretty fun to choose the manufacturer of your car parts ( and maybe be sponsored by them) and to every manufacturer depends a peculiar value i.e: you might buy a supercharger from the X brand because it's cheapier, you feel that the car actually answers well to that cheap component , but ( i don't know the dynamics so i'm just fantasizing, but follow for now) in exchange the engine wear much faster than before and ,maybe, even breaks down during enduro races, so it's an article that it's actually good on a sprint event ( or even a drag event) because it adapts well on every kind of car but on the long run it may be less reliable than a more expensive one from the Y brand that is semi-indestructible but it's ok only on fewer models, so to make the tuning aspect of the game a little bit more complex than the usual "buy 'till money stop you".

It'd be a even more complex and durable game, the tuning possibilities would be almost endless and with the sponsorship maybe to get team liveries to use with your b-spec driver, to scratch them etc etc...
I went a little off topic with the post in the end but you know, one thing leads to another.

i was thinking something about this; different reactions from various parts of the car, the reaction depends on how much you actually spent on that particular thing.
It may seem off topic but lately i was checking on the net various car parts and comparating the reviews with the prices and it's actually interesting how the car parts world is different from the car world itsellf, and it'd be pretty fun to choose the manufacturer of your car parts ( and maybe be sponsored by them) and to every manufacturer depends a peculiar value i.e: you might buy a supercharger from the X brand because it's cheapier, you feel that the car actually answers well to that cheap component , but ( i don't know the dynamics so i'm just fantasizing, but follow for now) in exchange the engine wear much faster than before and ,maybe, even breaks down during enduro races, so it's an article that it's actually good on a sprint event ( or even a drag event) because it adapts well on every kind of car but on the long run it may be less reliable than a more expensive one from the Y brand that is semi-indestructible but it's ok only on fewer models, so to make the tuning aspect of the game a little bit more complex than the usual "buy 'till money stop you".

It'd be a even more complex and durable game, the tuning possibilities would be almost endless and with the sponsorship maybe to get team liveries to use with your b-spec driver, to scratch them etc etc...
I went a little off topic with the post in the end but you know, one thing leads to another.
My friend and I were talking about I think it was GT4(?) that had custom part shops. It would be interesting to implement. Though I don't see it happening.

Make the damage similar to Grid Autosport, but if the car gets too damaged, like for example fire comes out of the car, or oil starts dripping and burning out of the car, the car could probably explode.

Make the damage similar to Grid Autosport, but if the car gets too damaged, like for example fire comes out of the car, or oil starts dripping and burning out of the car, the car could probably explode.
is car explosion really a possibility in Grid autosport?

Damage needs improvement in GT7, but it's by no means the priority in this series.

For immersion, GT7 should have better minor dents and scratch effects. The one's in GT6 are horrible. A bit of body crushing and flexing shouldn't be too hard to program in either.

The soft body physics in GT5 can and should be brought back... with improvements. Dents should deform the cars body more realistically. They need to be more prominent, but shouldn't be over the top. The worst thing ever is when you crush the back of a standard car, and the bodywork decides to randomly and uncontrollably flex.

Mechanical damage is the most important damage for GT7. Terminal damage should be a thing. Wheels should pop off, suspension should break, and engines and transmission should wear and fail if not maintained (it gives GT Auto more of a purpose).

The problem with GT at the moment is not so much the cosmetic damage, but the mechanical damage, or rather the lack of it. I want the ability to turn damage up to a realistic setting for a 24 hour endurance race, cross my fingers (whilst driving) and see if I can survive without pulling a wheel off or making an awkward gear change, thus breaking the gearbox. That to me should be GT's future.

Cosmetic damage? Could be harder to program with the quantity of cars in place. Mechanical damage? Should be the easiest thing ever. Really, PD have no excuses.

Damage needs improvement in GT7, but it's by no means the priority in this series.

For immersion, GT7 should have better minor dents and scratch effects. The one's in GT6 are horrible. A bit of body crushing and flexing shouldn't be too hard to program in either.

The soft body physics in GT5 can and should be brought back... with improvements. Dents should deform the cars body more realistically. They need to be more prominent, but shouldn't be over the top. The worst thing ever is when you crush the back of a standard car, and the bodywork decides to randomly and uncontrollably flex.

Mechanical damage is the most important damage for GT7. Terminal damage should be a thing. Wheels should pop off, suspension should break, and engines and transmission should wear and fail if not maintained (it gives GT Auto more of a purpose).

The problem with GT at the moment is not so much the cosmetic damage, but the mechanical damage, or rather the lack of it. I want the ability to turn damage up to a realistic setting for a 24 hour endurance race, cross my fingers (whilst driving) and see if I can survive without pulling a wheel off or making an awkward gear change, thus breaking the gearbox. That to me should be GT's future.

Cosmetic damage? Could be harder to program with the quantity of cars in place. Mechanical damage? Should be the easiest thing ever. Really, PD have no excuses.
I noticed during the streaming of Spa 24h that mechanical damages were set to zero everytime a car pitted, not losing extra time or else.
I'd like to see in the next gt more realistic pit stops, if you damaged the gearbox the car will enter the pit and then the guys will put it inside the garage to fix the problem, making you lose 2-3 minutes
Small details like this or that would make again GT one of the most important racing sim on the scene.

Back