RocZX

Premium
United States
New York
Leaked pics of the CX-3

New-Mazda-CX-3-3.jpg

New-Mazda-CX-3-1.jpg

New-Mazda-CX-3-2.jpg

The exterior looks interesting. Not a huge fan of the Mazda crossovers usually anyway. The CX-5 is okay I guess compared to its competitors. Interior is great though. No denying that.

This follows the Evoque school of thought of making the rear window pretty much just for show. Come on, guys!

I don't like the shape of the headlights compared to other Mazda ones, but some differentiation is probably a good thing. And while that rear window is tiny, I do like the the flowing window line that causes it.

Good looking little crossover. Achilles heel on a lot of new Mazdas is the price, though. I do hope we get it here, but, I'd prefer to get the 2, first.

Good looking little crossover. Achilles heel on a lot of new Mazdas is the price, though. I do hope we get it here, but, I'd prefer to get the 2, first.
I'm sure, as we have the Buick Encore and the upcoming 2015 Honda HR-V... Why wouldn't they?

Actually, I do sort of like it in that picture.
Me too. In fact, I think it looks just funky enough in that photo to give it sort of a Nissan Juke vibe that apparently sells very well despite it's uniqueness so this car should do ok. :P

Edit: Is it me or did Mazda go from big mouths (previous design) to big noses? (current design) :scared:

Looks much better than the overly-controlled original press shots. I actually prefer it to the CX-5 I think.

Ok, so this is cool and all Mazda, now that you've replaced your ENTIRE LINEUP (minus the CX-9, but I have doubts whether that will return) lets start rolling out the Mazdaspeed products!!

Looks cleaner then the CX-5, but the whole front engine bay seems to be universal across the whole range, i know thats the thing these days but Mazdas cars look way to closely similar to each other right now.

Guys? I...I don't like it. I feel so conflicted right now.

Like, it looks great. But I hate it. I think it looks like a Lexus and I never think cars look like other cars. The reason this upsets me is because none of the other Mazdas, the 2, 3, 6 and CX5, look anything like other cars. They are wonderfully unique and have a strong, beautiful identity.

But this car doesn't have that identity. Something about it. Maybe it's the ridiculous black fender flares (which are round, unlike the Lamborghini-like oblong flares of the CX5 which I much prefer). Maybe it's the strange rear window treatment. I don't know what it is but it looks like it's been done before in a way that none of the other new Mazdas suffer from. Also, I think those mirrors are off the CX5 because they are positively enormous.

I feel like the wheel arches ruin the whole design. Those don't look athletic, they look bulbous and fat. The CX5's treatment looks much more athletic because they are thinner and not round which promotes the illusion of motion, like legs ready to pounce. This car's wheel arches just look like lumps sitting there. I was really hoping for a tiny CX5 rather than a lifted 3. This car just isn't as good as either of them.

@Keef My thoughts exactly. The car has no identity. It looks good, but it's soulless and bland in an odd way.
I can understand a car being "soul less" based on driving impressions(it's a stupid concept but I can understand it) but a car being "soul less" based on a couple internet pics is a new kind of dumb.

This follows the Evoque school of thought of making the rear window pretty much just for show. Come on, guys!
The CX-5 already has rear visibility problems. Can't imagine how bad this one will be.

I can understand a car being "soul less" based on driving impressions(it's a stupid concept but I can understand it) but a car being "soul less" based on a couple internet pics is a new kind of dumb.
I didn't say anything about how it'll drive. I'd imagine, being a new Mazda, that it's very soulful to drive. But to me, the styling is soulless and bland.

I doesn't look like a Lexus. It looks like a Mazdered Rav4. Like, the original 3-door one.

I doesn't look like a Lexus. It looks like a Mazdered Rav4. Like, the original 3-door one.
Bro it looks like a Mazda 3 had a threesome with a Mini Paceman and Lexus NX.

Mini-Paceman_2014_photo_01.jpg

image.jpg

I actually still looks better than either of those but it's just not a Mazda. I'll have to see it in person to accept it as a Mazda.

Last edited:
Didn't want to be the first to bring in bad vibes, but since @Keef has started it... :lol:

-

I think part of the problem is that the limitations in design imposed by the long-tube header necessitated by the high compression SkyActiv motors gives this car just way too much snout for so little body.

Then add the ultra-high beltline, and you've got proportions that don't quite gel. At least not in those pictures up top.

I would like that front shoulder to be lower. Never mind if it leaves a hump in the middle of the bonnet. Pretend it's a power bulge and let it be. That puts that neat intersecting line at the base of the front window much lower on the car, and mitigates the feeling of bottom heaviness in that design. And perhaps helps make up for the long schnoz, too.

Small x-over is the next battle.
Mazda CX-3, Honda HR-V, Ford Ecosport to name a few

Add quite a few more here in the US:
  • Buick Encore
  • Chevrolet Trax
  • Jeep Renegade
  • Fiat 500X
  • Nissan Juke
Purely on price, the Mazda might stand a chance to separate itself completely from that group, but I'd be interested to see how the packaging will work by comparison. The Jeep and Fiat probably stand to have the most off-road cred, while the Buick and Chevrolet certainly will be great soft-roaders, along with the HR-V. But if the Mazda could hold a candle to the sporty Juke, well, I certainly know where my money would go. Lets just hope you can get a stick with the AWD system. At least Jeep and Fiat have gotten that right...

I think part of the problem is that the limitations in design imposed by the long-tube header necessitated by the high compression SkyActiv motors gives this car just way too much snout for so little body.

Then add the ultra-high beltline, and you've got proportions that don't quite gel. At least not in those pictures up top.

I would like that front shoulder to be lower. Never mind if it leaves a hump in the middle of the bonnet. Pretend it's a power bulge and let it be. That puts that neat intersecting line at the base of the front window much lower on the car, and mitigates the feeling of bottom heaviness in that design. And perhaps helps make up for the long schnoz, too.
Thanks for pointing that out because I can definitely see it now. The shoulder is way too high, to the point where it looks like the highest peak of the beltline.

Oh, by the way, are we sure this car is based on the 2 and not the 3? Cause the general proportions look a helluva lot more like a 3 than a 2.

Thanks for pointing that out because I can definitely see it now. The shoulder is way too high, to the point where it looks like the highest peak of the beltline.

Oh, by the way, are we sure this car is based on the 2 and not the 3? Cause the general proportions look a helluva lot more like a 3 than a 2.
Length wise its way too short to be based on the 3, and besides the CX-5 is based on the 3.

it does look slightly longer then the 2 though so chances are it may be a slightly stretched chassis.

I have a feeling that the CX-3 might be the next Mazda to get good sales in Finland. It's in easy market as most of the other cars in the class are more or less weird looking (Juke, C4 Cactus) or expensive (Fiat 500X, Jeep Renegade), which means that only cars the Mazda has to compete with are Ford EcoSport and Renault Captur and if the CX-3 will be anything like the new 3, it will be in very good position against them.

We'll see how it does in Australia(The 3 just smashes everything). The price of the CX3 will determine if dog lovers will choose it(the 2 is about $20kAUD. The 3 is about $22kAUD). Plus, the father of a 'P' plater may like the idea it's higher up than the 2. I like Mazda's new lineup.

The CX-3 will sell like the plague in OZ, maybe it's the reason I don't like Mazdas because they are just everywhere they become boring to look at.

Back