Available now on Amazon

Specifications
  • Type Head-mounted display
  • Manufacturer Sony Computer Entertainment
  • Platform PlayStation 4
  • Weight 610g (Headset)
  • Connectivity HDMI + USB
  • Screen Specs 5.7 inch OLED, 1920xRGBx1080 @120Hz/90Hz,
  • Sensors Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer)
  • Latency 18 ms
  • Field Of View 100 degrees
  • Includes VR headset, Processor unit, VR headset connection cable, HDMI cable, USB cable, Stereo headphones (with a complete set of earpiece), AC power cord. AC adaptor

Accessories
* Sold separately
[/INDENT][/INDENT]

PlayStation VR: 20 things you need to know

Feel free to discuss and share anything.

Last edited:
Depends a bit on application. For simracing or where you are rather stationary RIFT can catch up with better displays and refresh rates I recon.

I won´t get one. May get both the Vive and the Rift it depends of course :)

Vive is going to blow the Rift away, and will likely have less time to release than Rift has had.

The VR age is upon us, and I cannot wait.

Too hard to say which one out of HTC Vive or Oculus Rift is better at this stage since specs haven't been finalised especially OC and not even putting Project Morpheus into comparison on purely VR experience. But based on the FPS, latency and FOV already announced, it's looking really good.

Ever since I decided to focus all sim racing on PC after two PCars delays and AC/R3E getting much better every month I need something PC compatible. I hope Sony will change their mind and make the device PC compatible given that they already are ahead on console sales with 20+ millions sales worldwide as of March 2015. Making it available on the PC might push the VR adoption much quicker with more application and give Sony a new source of revenue… Enough of my Tuesday prayer :lol::bowdown:

PS. HTC Vive thread created

PlayStation VR showcase at PlayStation Paris Game Week

And also Gran Turismo Sport, the next title in Gran Turismo Series was announced for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation VR support was mentioned by Kazunori Yamauchi at Paris Games Week but no other specifics mentioned at the event. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
If it will be compatible with racing sims I'll get it for sure, as long as it's not priced ridiculously like how the Rift turned out.
GT Sport already announced to be PSVR compatible. Various media outlets said it will be as much as if not more than the price of a PS4 which I think is prohibited for most consumers and will affect adoption rate of this new technology. (Even worst for OC)

VR in 2016, not sure if I'm still enough of an early adopter to go for it...
I got into PS Move and Kinect 360 when they first came out and they didn't go anywhere for me.

According to the specs the Field Of View is 100 degrees, is that about the same as we get in GT using a monitor?

I was thinking about the FOV the game is displaying on the monitor, as opposed to what percentage the monitor is in our FOV - which of course would vary depending on our distance from the monitor. I suppose this is the wrong way to think about it since the VR headset would likely show the same data as a monitor.

Got to see one...no actually two in front of my eyes last weekend. Unfortunately I couldn't try it because I had to be 18+ for some reason...:(

One with the playstation Move and other with the dual shock 4.
Screenshot_2016-01-17-05-45-12.png

Screenshot_2016-01-19-23-34-45.png

Based on people who tried it during that event, they were mostly positive about it.

I would love to get one but sadly I afraid that the price might be too high.

I keep forgetting where this thread is, should it be under Console and PC Gaming?

Apparently a leaked listing on a Swiss retailer website has revealed the price. It's more affordable then Oculus, probably due to being subsidised like the PS4. It's around $435-$544 / £342-£380.

If it also works with PC and other Sony ecosystem stuff it will be a decent deal.

Last edited:
I keep forgetting where this thread is, should it be under Console and PC Gaming?

Apparently a leaked listing on a Swiss retailer website has revealed the price. It's more affordable then Oculus, probably due to being subsidised like the PS4. It's around $435-$544 / £342-£380.

If it also works with PC and other Sony ecosystem stuff it will be a decent deal.

Being more active on PC of late, I am extremely disappointed with after the announcement of Oculus Rift (OR) pricing. The OR is really cost prohibitive to adopt especially with the added cost to upgrade my 4 years old motherboard + CPU to meet their minimum specs. That's an extra USD$300+ on top of USD$599 price of the OR. This has been what I feared most that will impact VR adoption with consumers. HTC Vive (GTP thread here) will probably share similar PC requirements but priced even higher than OR.

As much as I wish to be the case but unfortunately, I think Playstation VR (PS VR) will remain exclusive to PS for the foreseeable future unless some people knows how to hack into it and make it work on PC. But then, they will also need to ensure that it can mimick OR and HTC Vive to be usable with most games/software on a PC.

The remaining question is, can all any of these VR headset be used as normal wearable HMD like a Sony HMZ-T3W If it can, then at least you can use it for something ekse rather limited usage to VR. There's so much time these days one can be playing video games all the time.

The remaining question is, can all any of these VR headset be used as normal wearable HMD like a Sony HMZ-T3W If it can, then at least you can use it for something ekse rather limited usage to VR. There's so much time these days one can be playing video games all the time.

VR IMAX?
Sony could go the Samsung GEAR VR direction and expand the headset beyond games but also for media too but I have not heard much on this for Virtual Cinema or 360 Degrees Photos/Movies or VR / IMAX type movies. PS4 still seems very much focused on gaming at this time. How far is a Gear VR solution that maintains being fully portable and brings forward a 4K resolution for media purposes which could be a better solution for those usages than say PC/Console VR units.

While personally not wanting to wage a console Vs pc type discussion. Sony say they have 200 developers signed up working on content. They also will come in at a console price point with their hardware. So personally I do not expect their VR to cost much more if anything over the price of the current PS4 itself. Oculus to me is not at a pricepoint for mass continued sales.

Oculus has its own rival coming from HTC/Steam and seems some are unsure/holding off. Also the delay in the proper controller aint so good. Could PC see a VHS/Beta battle brewing? What if a new Halflife appears that only works properly on their own VR experience but suspiciously not on Oculus? Could something like that happen on PC with two rival platforms?

(V)ery (R)eluctant Gamers
I think it really comes down to software selling the hardware as like always. A percentage will dive in head first to get the experience but with all the headaches/issues with proper support as already seen with the beta models of Oculus PC users of course are more tolerant of such things.

I have seen some comments around in some thinking it could be Wii all over again and eventually interest will fade. Look at Kinect and motion gaming in general. Sure for Sony this of course does not mean 200 games will be arriving anytime soon but for me even the numbers are not so much important. I feel this technology will need popular "AAA Franchise Titles" to REALLY push it and also new VR specfic "Killer Games" to highlight the technology/immersion it brings.

Remember when PlayStation changed thins in how it brought proper 3D graphics they kinda need to redo this again with VR don't they or do they?

Last edited:
VR IMAX?
Sony could go the Samsung VR direction and expand the headset beyond games but also for media too but I have not heard much on this for Virtual Cinema or 360 Degrees Photos/Movies or VR / IMAX type movies. PS4 still seems very much focused on gaming at this time.

Sports broadcast will be one of the biggest potential.
http://www.geekwire.com/2015/first-...falls-short-but-long-term-potential-is-clear/

However, at the end of the day, internet speed, lens quality, pricing etc. once again determine it's popularity. Like you said with motion gaming, VR might do ok for a year or two and then head straight into the "Exhibition" halls across the globe.

It's an equilibrium of consumer adoption/content production. Too expensive for consumers, lack of adoption which means lack of investment in content production for VR. And I fear that's the path VR is heading now with the pricing not friendly enough to change it as my "want" rather than a "need" item at this stage.

Being more active on PC of late, I am extremely disappointed with after the announcement of Oculus Rift (OR) pricing. The OR is really cost prohibitive to adopt especially with the added cost to upgrade my 4 years old motherboard + CPU to meet their minimum specs. That's an extra USD$300+ on top of USD$599 price of the OR. This has been what I feared most that will impact VR adoption with consumers. HTC Vive (GTP thread here) will probably share similar PC requirements but priced even higher than OR.

I think the higher purchase cost is due to the fact that PC peripherals and also PC's themselves cannot be monetized as easily as console hardware. Once you buy the VR headset they aren't really going to get much money back afterwards whereas with PlayStation VR it's a loss leader sold a cost price which will help shift more PS4's and games to recoup the money. I wouldn't be surprised if they sold a bundle with move, camera and console which works out even cheaper.

As much as I wish to be the case but unfortunately, I think Playstation VR (PS VR) will remain exclusive to PS for the foreseeable future unless some people knows how to hack into it and make it work on PC. But then, they will also need to ensure that it can mimick OR and HTC Vive to be usable with most games/software on a PC.

I really want it to have PC support but yeah I fear it will be PS4 only. Lots of PC devs would move to support it officially if Sony did this but even if they didn't someone will probably figure out a hack like they did with the Sixaxis.

I'm sure through the PS4 you would be able to watch Blu Rays and VR video content, all it would take is a firmware update. Sony has been making headsets longer than anyone else and are best positioned to dominate if they do it right.

Price/release date announced and updated in OP.

Does not include PS Move controllers (Motion Controller & Navigation Controller) or Playstation 4 Camera which the camera will be required anyway while the controllers will be needed for most games. That's another US$90 at the time of writing.

However, good news are 150 games in development and 50 of those will be ready end of 2016. It also does have Cinematic mode which allow you to play other games using the device as a conventional head mount display (HMD). Wonder if the device will allow Cinematic mode work with a HDMI input other than PS4 though.

TBC.

What are your thoughts on pricing and package?

Last edited:
I totally understand why they do it but I really wish they didn't include some of the things everyone already has and knock some money off instead. I don't need another HDMI cable, In Ear Headphones, USB to Mini USB cable etc.

As for the pricing $399 is the cheapest of the main contenders ($200 less the Oculus and $400 less than Vive) and even if you factor in the camera it's still a great deal, as expected, because it is a loss leader. Hopefully a console bundle will also come along with everything included.

The mini PS4 design of the external processor is neat :sly: but they have put the PlayStation Logo on the wrong way!

As per usual us Brits get robbed, it's £282 in the US and £350 in the UK. They can blame it on VAT all they want but it's not like most US states don't have sales tax either, plus the distribution distances are triple :rolleyes:

So even at max price, this and a PS4 is about the same price as a new iphone?
Pretty damn good considering...

It's funny the way the power of imagination works when it comes to the advertisment of equipment like this. I mean, you see the footage on your normal, flat screen, but because you know it's VR footage it seems so much more immersive. It's the same when they show ads about TV's on TV, and the picture you see on the TV screen in the ad is so much better than the picture on your TV screen... although you see that screen on your own screen, so how could it possible be any better than your own TV?

It's a bit like hypnosis: "Now you see this whale in real life size", and when you know that, that is what you see, and it's so awesome. Even if it's still on your tiny computer screen, and you're not wearing any VR goggles...

Back