2016 Toyota Tacoma

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 129 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
To debut in Detroit (this is going to be a HUGE show for reveals) and here is a teaser image:

toyota-tacoma-teaser.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/10/2016-toyota-tacoma-teaser-detroit/

The Taco better be good. The Colorado and Canyon are wracking up so much praise, I'm not sure what Toyota could do other than give us one of the international Hilux models, or something.

So, Nissan? How about a new Frontier?

It looks odd for some reason. :dunce:

Great picture they stretched.

The doors and cab look pretty much exactly the same. I'm actually surprised that I'm not that surprised that I'm surprised. Yes.

I mean, are we really all that shocked that it doesn't seem different? Are we really that surprised that, coming from a company that hasn't had an all-new powertrain debut in what feels like a decade, and still uses a four-speed automatic in multiple vehicles, wouldn't change up their cash-cow that much? Granted... Maybe we are all overreacting. But, man, this doesn't feel as fresh as it needs to be in the face of the Colorado/Canyon that is so, so, so good.

I'm bored of Toyota's designs. Yet another truck/SUV has been redesigned to make it look "tougher" with a bigger grille, sharper features, et cetera et cetera. Ford better not have done this with the Ranger because Chevrolet actually didn't with the new Colorado- the Colorado is designed to look like a compact pickup, which is exactly what it is. The Tacoma looks like it's trying to be bigger, which is annoying.

At least it doesn't have gills like the Highlander.

It seems like it's getting quite a bit of hate across the web for how it looks and how Toyota didn't really branch out. But I can't help but think, it's a truck, how much play do you really have with the design?

Anyway, I still think I like the front end on mine better than this one, although having proper HID's would be rather nice. I'll be curious to see what the TRD spec ones looks like since it looks like that picture is just of the SR5 model. I'm also wondering what engines they will be offering. I know the new 4.0L that's in the 4Runner has about 30 more horsepower than the older version in the current Taco, so that will at least help with people who think you need all the power when buying a vehicle. They still might struggle against the 300hp Colorado though. I'm also going to guess it'll get the more updated 180hp 2.7L as well.

My guess is that, while GM advertises the Colorado/Canyon as "car like," Toyota will run up the "LOOK HOW TRUCK WE IS" flag. Certainly could welcome some interior improvements as well, make 'em a bit more comfortable like the GM siblings.

Back