Mercedes Merges with Maybach to Rival Rolls-Royce | 2016 Mercedes-Maybach S600

Canada
Ottawa
Automotive_Buff
Daimler is relaunching the Mercedes-Maybach lineup which includes their upcoming S-Class and an SUV.

The first model, Mercedes-Maybach S600 has already debuted last a couple of weeks ago at Guanhou and LA auto shows, with a retail price of $200,000 from the past $380,000 (2012).

The company is also coming up with new class designation to help customers differentiate between the myriad of models that they are offering.

http://www.autoworldnews.com/articl...evives-maybach-brand-to-rival-rolls-royce.htm

With past merging that lead to low sales (program ended in 2012), do you guys think this is a good move?

Last edited:
Pics:

mercedes-maybach-s-class-01-1.jpg
mercedes-maybach-s-class-02-1.jpg
mercedes-maybach-s-class-03-1.jpg
mercedes-maybach-s-class-04-1.jpg
mercedes-maybach-s-class-05-1.jpg
mercedes-maybach-s-class-06-1.jpg
mercedes-maybach-s-class-07-1.jpg
mercedes-maybach-s-class-10-1.jpg
mercedes-maybach-s-class-13-1.jpg
mercedes-maybach-s-class-14-1.jpg
mercedes-maybach-s-class-15-1.jpg
mercedes-maybach-s-class-16-1.jpg
mercedes-maybach-s-class-23-1.jpg

Those studio pics/renders don't do the car justice. Too busy. Too much light painting to let the car's natural lines show through.

The way the car looks in natural light, though... pretty nice. And the interior is gorgeous... though the rear thrones do seem on the narrow side, I like the way that wood accent runs around them.

IWC clock? Now that's just showing off. :lol: This one looks like a winner.

So is this move meant to counteract the "dilution" of the ordinary M-B brand, what with the bump in volume entry-level products like the new A class and its derivatives? It doesn't seem to me like anyone cares about the Maybach name.

Does anyone else think that the two guys in the back seat look like toddlers in their car seats? :lol:

This is what went through myhead the first time I saw that picture...

Guy on the left: "Günther..."
Guy on the right: "Yes Gerhard?"
"Did you see mein neu high score on ze Kandi Krush Saga?"
"Oh das iz very good!"
"Yah!"
"Ahem, Gerhard..."
"Yes Günther?
"Ich liebe dich"

apologies to any Germans out there! :D

Yeah... It's been stated they are thinking of a Maybach SUV. I don't know how that'll work out.

Maybe they mean creating luxury versions of Merc's own SUV range (you know, cars like the ML or the GL, or even the G-wagen)? I don't think creating a Maybach-only brand SUV would work out, especialy after the failure of the revival of Maybach in 2012.

By the way, I like the S Maybach, looks luxurious, but it doesn't exaggerate its luxury (IWC watch aside, haha). Hopefully people won't be put off by the bad story of modern Maybach.

Maybe they mean creating luxury versions of Merc's own SUV range (you know, cars like the ML or the GL, or even the G-wagen)? I don't think creating a Maybach-only brand SUV would work out, especialy after the failure of the revival of Maybach in 2012.

By the way, I like the S Maybach, looks luxurious, but it doesn't exaggerate its luxury (IWC watch aside, haha). Hopefully people won't be put off by the bad story of modern Maybach.
No I know they want to customise one of the GL's but I don't know how it will work out.

Plus new pricetag of $200k, people won't be as put off by it.

Maybe something like a Range Rover rival, perhaps? Judging by the S600 they did, they won't go overboard with the modifications, I think.
To challenge Range Rover as a car they would need something that could do some actual off-roading, but there's Bentley SUV coming too, so they could go after that.

To challenge Range Rover as a car they would need something that could do some actual off-roading, but there's Bentley SUV coming too, so they could go after that.

Ah yes, almost forgot about the Bentley, challenging that would make sense. Get the money from the "Chelsea tractor" segment while stealing sales from the rival that is the VW group (because we know who owns Bentley).

Call me crazy, but I really like it, in a "if I had exorbitant amounts of money" way. It's classy in all the ways the Maybach 57 and 62 were gauche. I think I like it more than the standard S-classes, even.

At least Mercedes is doing it right this time. The Maybach failed for many reasons but the main ones being it was a mark which commanded hardly any value outside of Germany (whereas Roll Royce is known all over the world) and instead of being built from the ground up on a custom platform it was a jazzed S-Class which looked dated only a few years after launch next to erm... an S-Class.

This time it's in essence an edition, or trim level (like the old Daimler Jaguars), the Merc brand has far more pull and this will allow Maybach to move with the changes in S-Class generations more easily. However it will never equal Rolls Royce especially now that it's not a dedicated car and the price tag over an already good top of the range S-Class is going to be hard to justify.

The three things I do miss though about the Maybach 57 & 62 are the cool brake light which wrapped around the rear bumper, the two tone paintjobs and the Japanese skylight ceiling. The drop top model was also pretty special.

Those studio pics/renders don't do the car justice. Too busy. Too much light painting to let the car's natural lines show through.

The way the car looks in natural light, though... pretty nice. And the interior is gorgeous... though the rear thrones do seem on the narrow side, I like the way that wood accent runs around them.

IWC clock? Now that's just showing off. :lol: This one looks like a winner.
I know AMG cars get the IWC clock as well (CLS63 was the one I have seen it in).

The biggest difference will be the interior, Motortrend did a test a few years back with the S Class vs a Mulsanne and really highlighted how cheap Quality the Merc is when compared to a Bentley, this will address that.

Back