Instructions on how to best drive the Nordschleife!

• Thread starter ALB123
  • 33 comments
United States
Massachusetts
I came across this document (Its a .PDF file) that is a scanned magazine article from "Sport Auto". It's called "The Nordschleife Line" and it gives written and visual instructions for tackling the famous Green Hell. The driver was using a BMW M3 SMG and achieved a lap time of 8.22... It even shows you which gear he is in for the entire length of the track and where the braking points are.

The file is hosted on the very popular BMW website (Bimmerfile.com). I hope you find this enjoyable to read and potentially even helpful as you work to lower your times around this famous track.

http://bimmerfile.com/files/Nurburgring.pdf

No comments? I see a few people have LIKED this post. I'm just curious if people find this type of stuff helpful or interesting. I don't want to create posts that are boring or useless to the community. :D

Then I'll reply for you. ;)

Haven't seen it all, but it looks like a great guide. Especially interesting to see the driving lines of the pros. :) Will take a good look and see if I can improve my lap times. Also interesting to see if someone can get close to this guy's lap time in a similar car, since I don't think this car is in GT6.

Well, I liked it, I found it interesting and think it might be helpful. So now, all I have to do is to repl...oh wait, I think I just did that ;):cheers:

Then I'll reply for you. ;)

Haven't seen it all, but it looks like a great guide. Especially interesting to see the driving lines of the pros. :) Will take a good look and see if I can improve my lap times. Also interesting to see if someone can get close to this guy's lap time in a similar car, since I don't think this car is in GT6.
Yeah, I was wondering what year the BMW is in this article. I'd like to take an M3 out in GT6 that is as similar to his as possible and then export my lap data in Motec and see how my driving compared to his -- at least with Motec I'll see where my brake zones were and which gear I was in during each section and I can compare to the magazine article driver.

Yeah, I was wondering what year the BMW is in this article. I'd like to take an M3 out in GT6 that is as similar to his as possible and then export my lap data in Motec and see how my driving compared to his -- at least with Motec I'll see where my brake zones were and which gear I was in during each section and I can compare to the magazine article driver.

Wow, that's a great idea. That way we can really compare our driving to his. :) Let us know how your lap compares to his. :)

Wow, that's a great idea. That way we can really compare our driving to his. :) Let us know how your lap compares to his. :)
I will definitely! Like I said, I'm going to have to figure out exactly which BMW M3 that is, just so I can make sure Im running with the proper amount of HP & Torque... I'm not the worlds greatest driver, but I'll probably run it with CS tires for accuracy to the tires that are on his BMW... It will probably be a bit of a challenge. But, ya never know.... We'll see! :D

No comments? I see a few people have LIKED this post. I'm just curious if people find this type of stuff helpful or interesting. I don't want to create posts that are boring or useless to the community. :D
I've just found this. I hope to get a chance to read it soon, probably tomorrow morning. It certainly sounds like I'll enjoy giving it a look, so thanks in advance. 👍

Okay...This is hilarious. I just bought a BMW M3 '04 because I'm going to assume the BMW in this article is an E46 M3 based on the fact that it's the model M3 that existed in the time range of the article. The E46 M3 was from 2000-2006. I ran one lap on Nordschleife with CS tires, not trying to set any records, but just making sure I drove a clean, steady lap and my time was 8:22.407... The driver in the article did an 8:22 lap as well. LOL!

20141216_160731.jpg

EDIT: I should add, the car comes with SH tires from the dealership, but I think that is overkill and not representative of the actual grip level. CS or CM is probably closer to the grip level provided by the real world tire. You may disagree, but that's my opinion...

Okay...This is hilarious. I just bought a BMW M3 '04 because I'm going to assume the BMW in this article is an E46 M3 based on the fact that it's the model M3 that existed in the time range of the article. The E46 M3 was from 2000-2006. I ran one lap on Nordschleife with CS tires, not trying to set any records, but just making sure I drove a clean, steady lap and my time was 8:22.407... The driver in the article did an 8:22 lap as well. LOL!

View attachment 274981

EDIT: I should add, the car comes with SH tires from the dealership, but I think that is overkill and not representative of the actual grip level. CS or CM is probably closer to the grip level provided by the real world tire. You may disagree, but that's my opinion...
Good feedback!

Here's a screenshot of my particular gear changes driving. I compared them to the magazine and was pleased to see how on several sections of the track my gear changes were almost identical to the BMW driver in the magazine. It's just a good reminder that GT6 is getting "some" things right. ;)

I had a little mishap at Aremberg and threw my car into 2nd gear for a second. That shouldn't have happened. Also, I noticed that I didn't get into 6th gear in a few areas that he did. Either I was just pulling more out of 5th gear, or maybe he achieved greater speed than I did in certain sections, but I thought I would point that out.

EDIT: Oh, one thing...You might notice that MoTeC lists my lap time as 8:22.370 while Gran Turismo said my lap time was 8:22.470...I don't know why that is. I'll have to look at some other MoTeC files I have exported and see if there is any discrepancies with those log files.
Nurb_M3.jpg

Yes. You do realize that driving the Nordschleife i.r.l. is a bit more difficult and dangerous than in GT ?
I can assure you that you will never drive so hard and brake so late. If you miss, it will take a bit longer to get back on track (if that is still possible) and it will cost you a lot of money, not even speaking about possible injuries...
In other words: in the game you can and will take much more risks, at least I do...

In GT my times around Spa/Francorchamps also differ from my times i.r.l with a Nissan GTR... :sly:

Yes. You do realize that driving the Nordschleife i.r.l. is a bit more difficult and dangerous than in GT ?
I can assure you that you will never drive so hard and brake so late. If you miss, it will take a bit longer to get back on track (if that is still possible) and it will cost you a lot of money, not even speaking about possible injuries...
In other words: in the game you can and will take much more risks, at least I do...

In GT my times around Spa/Francorchamps also differ from my times i.r.l with a Nissan GTR... :sly:
Umm...Of course I realize that I'm playing a game and not risking my life to run so fast. To be honest, more often than not I can run around a track FASTER than real life drivers can. Again, that's because it's just a game that's not 100% fully accurate with real world conditions...

I would have posted my time whether I ran an 8:12 or an 8:32, I just thought it was remarkably funny that my time just happened to match the magazine article's perfectly. A hilarious coincidence...that's it. As I stated in my post, I wasn't trying to stretch every drop of capability out of the GT6 M3 car. I was trying to drive very smoothly without tires screaming and sliding around every corner. I tried to drive as realistically as I could with that car and tire combo.

Btw: this article is great.
I have it since a few years now. Reworked it (removed the car pictures and other non relevant things) and printed it.
It is now always within reach ... 👍
Ooh! That's a VERY good idea. When I have some motivation, perhaps I'll throw one of those together in Photoshop and upload it for the community. Thanks for the idea @Fanapryde!

Ooh! That's a VERY good idea. When I have some motivation, perhaps I'll throw one of those together in Photoshop and upload it for the community. Thanks for the idea @Fanapryde!
My guide is still 34 pages (no car pictures, only text and pictures of the corners by sector)
Gladly willing to share, but not shure wich is the best way ?

Yep, i remember seeing this a couple of years back, at the GT4 days..

Good read, i think i have a disc full of articles and miscellaneous stuff of the Nordschleife, including this PDF. I can search for it if you have any interest.

Thanks for sharing.

I had a quick look earlier today. I only use my phone, not a computer so I would need to zoom in & look at it more carefully when I come to giving it a full read.
I have the file saved & at first glance it looks very interesting. Thanks for sharing @ALB123 👍

Not sure if anyone here remembers but in the Gran Turismo 4 Official Strategy Guide (by Piggyback), there was a comprehensive guide to the Nurburgring. It was essentially a corner-by-corner breakdown of the circuit and how to approach it at top speed. I remember using that back in the day, it was quite useful. Nowadays I've driven the 'ring in enough games to basically memorise the layout :)

If anybody here has a copy it would be great if they posted pictures.

Really good guide. I found myself saying "Yep I did that too" many times when reading the guide :lol: The only thing I found very inaccurate in GT is you can attack the curbs and get away with it. It's a really bad habit that I cultivated and will certainly get me into trouble if I ever drive the 'Ring IRL :P

Back