Gran Turismo Open World Game?

Canada
Canada
Doesn't necessarily have to be GT7, but with PD's resources as well as the PS4's power, this would make the perfect open-world racing game. It could be in a Japanese-inspired environment and could not only include PD's 1200+ strong car roster but with a bit of work, bikes as well. With GT's physics, huge car list, the PS4's improved power, an environment inspired by the best driving areas of Japan, motorcycles, and a few tweaks to the visual customization system and maybe the addition of engine swaps, this would be the perfect open-world racing game and would have a huge edge over Forza's Horizon series. I wouldn't care if this didn't release for years, but as long as they were making one, I would be a happy man.

NOTE: I couldn't find a topic to post this thread under so this seemed like the best bet. If there is a more suitable topic, feel free to move this thread.

PD isn't big enough for a second game while working on the next GT installment and Evolution is busy working on Driveclub or whatever they have planned next while fixing the problems to finally release the ps+ version of DC. The only way to get an open world GT would be, if Sony decide to find a new very talented studio or ask Kaz to increase the staff of PD massively. Which is unlikely, if you ask me.

Last edited:
It wholly depends on what is meant by (or, rather inferred from) the term "open world". We should wait to see what the course maker brings.

In terms of developmental effort, it would be most efficient to use existing assets, and leverage procedural techniques for anything new that needs to be made. That way the bulk of the effort is providing the changes to the code to support the changes in gameplay. And then designing and tuning that gameplay.

What that means, in effect, is that the best way to achieve "open world" gameplay is as a (semi-)separate game mode in GT7.

...Hell, I have always loved the idea of open-world GT title. As I posted in.....some other thread, I got tons of ideas for it, even the name of this hypothetical game: GT Freedom. Sounds slightly patriotic, doesn't it. :D

Seriously tho', it seems to be a popular trend among game devs right now, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't seem like a fad, not like a Rocket Bunny bodykit (oh gawd please die already...).

Last edited:
They could do what t10 have been doing, get a decent developer to produce a free roamer based on the same content and physics
It is very unlikely that one developer would just "give" their code to another, for several reasons (familiarity being the most important as far as we're concerned). It's a bit more involved than that.

Writing stable, effective and efficient code is hard enough. Writing code, testing extremes and documenting and supporting it all is thrice the effort. If there is any kind of low level ("system") jiggery-pokery in cooperating modules, then the resulting effort in standardising, streamlining and removing co-dependent hacks (and documenting and testing it all, as before) increases effort by a further three times. E.g. making a game engine for anyone to use is potentially 9 times the effort of making one just for yourself! With today's practices, that worst case maybe isn't always the reality, but the extra effort of coordination alone is substantial in itself.
For details, check out the difference between programs, programming systems and programming (systems) products.

Microsoft are experts at creating and supporting "programming systems products", so it seems they'd supervise efforts in taking the time over several releases of FM / FH to slowly integrate the two games' modules and features into one codebase. A change of hardware is a good time to make fast progress on that front, as it's new to both developers.

The only benefit to using another existing developer (and not just expanding the first) is to get something (anything) out the door quickly.

I'm not trying to ruin anyone's party, but this dream could well be a reality with only a few tweaks to expectations. PD could expand only modestly and be able to augment the tech they already have and produce a separate "open" game mode. We've just had to wait a bit longer for it.

IMO, Driver San Francisco on the PS3 is the closest thing to a Gran Turismo freeroam game. Plenty of licensed cars (140 cars, similar to GT1 numbers), detailed interiors for ALL of them, damage and very good believable physics (not full on sim, but certainly much deeper than your usual arcade game). The Crew could have been the game to take on the mantle (seeing as it's also made by Ubisoft), but the physics in that game is worse than Watchdogs :yuck:

Unless PD decides to ever outsource car and world modelling to someone else, an open world GT game will never happen.

Unless PD decides to ever outsource car and world modelling to someone else, an open world GT game will never happen.
Once again, it depends on what you infer from "open world". If you expect something like The Crew or Driver, of course PD will never make it.

But PD are working on open environments, so you are incorrect.

Notice that this means you are likely to be disappointed by PD's interpretation of "open world", so take that as fair warning.

Once again, it depends on what you infer from "open world". If you expect something like The Crew or Driver, of course PD will never make it.

Notice that this means you are likely to be disappointed by PD's interpretation of "open world", so take that as fair warning.

Well yes, open world means a city or landscape that you can go anywhere within the boundaries of that world. I don't view photomode, course maker or even the 25km Sierra track as "open world", because you are still limited to the confines of the track, even if the area itself is large and open. And no, I won't be disappointed because GT is just not designed as an open world game. And with PD's manpower it's currently not possible to create a traditional open world to their usual level of detail (just look at the textures at Sierra). I'd rather they focus resources on modelling cars, actual tracks and physics. Other games will fill my need of open world racing.

Well yes, open world means a city or landscape that you can go anywhere within the boundaries of that world. I don't view photomode, course maker or even the 25km Sierra track as "open world", because you are still limited to the confines of the track, even if the area itself is large and open. And no, I won't be disappointed because GT is just not designed as an open world game. And with PD's manpower it's currently not possible to create a traditional open world to their usual level of detail (just look at the textures at Sierra). I'd rather they focus resources on modelling cars, actual tracks and physics. Other games will fill my need of open world racing.
There is no such thing as a "traditional" open-world game. That's my point. You're projecting your expectations onto it, as I said.

I was talking about Ronda. ;)
Sierra is a coursemaker location.

Anyone remember the Car & Driver game from ages old? (Or C-"Shift-7"-D, as I called it).

I think it had too much of an impact on me. (And Holy Crap, I didn't realise it was Looking Glass - explains so much).

Last edited:
Misses gave me Forza Horizon 2 for my christmas and i must say that i'm glad she did :); most racing games are focused on circuit racing even if they are car collector games at heart like GT or Forza featuring tons of beautifully replicated rides which everyone always dreams of driving around one day (not just race).

For games like PCARS and Grid AS it makes sense to focus on circuit racing as you have a limited choice in cars and most of them aren't even road cars, but for car collector games it was a shame you couldn't take them out and just cruise in a beautiful surrounding that replicates real life roads, and enjoy both the car and the views.
That's why it was good thinking on T10's part again to outsource and lend their tools to be able to provide such a game, and after having experienced FH i can't go back, it's just so addictive to cruise around and get to know the car you just bought, and then be able to race it whenever you feel like doing so.

I doubt however that PS3 users will see this coming from PD, as they already need years just to finish a new GT game like @Zelalem says.

I had no idea they were working on open environments. Do you know where they said this?

That would be great, i mean, sierra rally is kind of a open track.
But in stead of the gameplay like forza horizon, where you can go off road, just stay on roads and drive to several racetracks.
It could start with a fast-travel to the city/village where the racetrack is located, and drive to the track and enter thru the main entrance to access the track.
Driving thru a city to get to the racetrack gives indeed the opportunity for a photomode option.
I would not ask to drive from city to city, but just from the nearest city where the track is located.

And if you want to enter the racetrack? The option for careerrace or online race or arcade. no seprate icons for online or career-licence or arcade, that would be great.

Off course it would take a lot of extra work and investments, but if PD would keep the promise to make it, i think a kickstarter project could raise the money for part of the investment.
And now it hits me, because allready a lot of fans started to bash on PD for broken promises, i think this will stay a great dream.

And because forza horizon and the crew allready covered open world racing, i fear that GT will not go for it.

I had no idea they were working on open environments. Do you know where they said this?
After GT5 launched, Kaz said he wanted to include a freeroam mode. This gave rise to the rumour of Special Stage City.

Ronda was described, at the Silverstone revealing event for GT6, as an area in which you can pick your own route. That implies branching roads.

Just looking at Ronda in the game confirms that. There are also low LOD modeled roads in the distance, all other tracks use billboard textures for distant scenery. That makes it very open, by GT standards.

...I've been to another thread where "open world GT" came up for a discussion and an interesting tidbit emerged: apparently Honda isn't too keen on such games, so if PDI do decide to go full open world game route then we may not see any Hondas in the game. Dunno how much truth is in that, so if any one here owns a Forza Horizon, can you partially confirm this by checking if you have any Hondas in the game?

Last edited:
...........I've been to another thread where "open world GT" came up for a discussion and an interesting tidbit emerged: apparently Honda isn't too keen on such games, so if PDI do decide to go full open world game route then we may not see any Hondas in the game. Dunno how much truth is in that, so if any one here owns a Forza Horizon, can you partially confirm this by checking if you have any Hondas in the game?
Yes, Honda is in Horizon 2. Two Civic Type-R's, an NSX-R, S2000 Cr, and a Mugen CRX.

I would love to see a game like this.

I thing the best solution is PD and Evolution join forces. Evolution make a decent racing game, too arcadish and a lot of things missing, but they have talent. Yes, it's a problem to PD to share their code but... come on. Why Sony didn't do nothing about i? Forza Horizon is going well together with Forza Motorsports and have a GT game on PS plataforms wouldn't do any bad.

There's no risk of saturation of GT series, only two per generation expect on PS3 with GT PSP.

I would love to see a game like this.

I thing the best solution is PD and Evolution join forces. Evolution make a decent racing game, too arcadish and a lot of things missing, but they have talent. Yes, it's a problem to PD to share their code but... come on. Why Sony didn't do nothing about i? Forza Horizon is going well together with Forza Motorsports and have a GT game on PS plataforms wouldn't do any bad.

There's no risk of saturation of GT series, only two per generation expect on PS3 with GT PSP.
The best solution is to let Evolution maintain creative control of their own games. Variety matters more than completeness when it comes to "market saturation", mainly because you can't make a "complete" game.

Let's see what direction PD are going in, they have open environment plans of their own, already in progress.

I'd like a semi-open world. Open world in the sense of driving around from your garage, to the different car manufacturers, to GT Auto, to "arenas" where the GT Mode is, etc. You get my idea here. And inbetween that you can just roam around in that city / area it is set in, and just cruise along listening to your fave music, maybe even have it online, park your car at a parking lot with a few friends, exit your car, take a few pictures, etc. Working sidelights would be a must for this. I believe any serious GT racer would be a serious freeroamer too, if you know what I mean.

I'd like a semi-open world. Open world in the sense of driving around from your garage, to the different car manufacturers, to GT Auto, to "arenas" where the GT Mode is, etc. You get my idea here. And inbetween that you can just roam around in that city / area it is set in, and just cruise along listening to your fave music, maybe even have it online, park your car at a parking lot with a few friends, exit your car, take a few pictures, etc. Working sidelights would be a must for this. I believe any serious GT racer would be a serious freeroamer too, if you know what I mean.
How cool would it be to have a fictional town created with all the various car dealers in the game and every single car in the game on display in their showrooms? And be able to get out of your car and walk around in the virtual dealer, get in and out of every car, sit in each car, maybe start the engine and rev her up a bit, honk the horn etc. And be able to complete your transaction while looking at the car, look at a virtual screen maybe to select different colours and trim packages and then have the car delivered to your home by the sales person. That would really enhance the car buying experience...of course it would take up a lot of programming time too..but it would be unique that's for sure.

This would tie in with a semi-open world where you could cruise these mean streets in the car of your choice, but also test drive any car in any dealership on the same streets. A highway section would be a must, but you might be able to add some kind of centrally located test track to spice it up a bit. I think Kaz ought to hear of this:idea: Now that I think about it, you could possibly do all of this online, and meet up with your friends in the street, visit dealerships together, cruise or race the test track together. GT7 here we come!

How cool would it be to have a fictional town created with all the various car dealers in the game and every single car in the game on display in their showrooms? And be able to get out of your car and walk around in the virtual dealer, get in and out of every car, sit in each car, maybe start the engine and rev her up a bit, honk the horn etc. And be able to complete your transaction while looking at the car, look at a virtual screen maybe to select different colours and trim packages and then have the car delivered to your home by the sales person. That would really enhance the car buying experience...of course it would take up a lot of programming time too..but it would be unique that's for sure.

This would tie in with a semi-open world where you could cruise these mean streets in the car of your choice, but also test drive any car in any dealership on the same streets. A highway section would be a must, but you might be able to add some kind of centrally located test track to spice it up a bit. I think Kaz ought to hear of this:idea: Now that I think about it, you could possibly do all of this online, and meet up with your friends in the street, visit dealerships together, cruise or race the test track together. GT7 here we come!
Yeah, this would only get better if it was online. :) Sounds like a good idea, but I think every car would be hard to showcase in those dealerships, so a few used car dealerships would be great to have too, and maybe even a scrapyard, if you need parts from a car with higher trim than the one you bought. Haha :D

The course maker will handle any procedural highway, or test track duties happily. We can get a sneak preview of that in GT6, eventually, I hope.

Now, I'd rather have a virtual tuning shop, with more detailed tuning, than a virtual showroom, if such a dichotomy exists. Both would be excellent.

I like the idea of the scrapyards, stock parts swapping, trim levels, detailed lifecycle modeling of used cars etc. The online aspect will be very useful there, and the "open world" will serve as a "front", I suppose.

Hey, the world of today have garages and apartment complexes that load your car into your unit. Displaying all cars like Volkswagen do in Germany would take of that. Have you seen Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol or Tokyo DRIFT? Just YouTube hi-rise garages and there is a solution. 👍

They have to make a GT Open world to be against with Forza Horizon :P
Kidding :P. But if they do this, it will be a big difference in GT Series and it will be great.
PLEASE MAKE THE NEW GT OPEN WORLD!! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I would rather have Rockstar make an open world street racer - basically the GTA V world with better driving physics :)
Impossible :P

That would be great, i mean, sierra rally is kind of a open track.
But in stead of the gameplay like forza horizon, where you can go off road, just stay on roads and drive to several racetracks.
It could start with a fast-travel to the city/village where the racetrack is located, and drive to the track and enter thru the main entrance to access the track.
Driving thru a city to get to the racetrack gives indeed the opportunity for a photomode option.
I would not ask to drive from city to city, but just from the nearest city where the track is located.

And if you want to enter the racetrack? The option for careerrace or online race or arcade. no seprate icons for online or career-licence or arcade, that would be great.

Off course it would take a lot of extra work and investments, but if PD would keep the promise to make it, i think a kickstarter project could raise the money for part of the investment.
And now it hits me, because allready a lot of fans started to bash on PD for broken promises, i think this will stay a great dream.

And because forza horizon and the crew allready covered open world racing, i fear that GT will not go for it.
The Crew is not like Forza or GT. They have to make a GT with open world in PS like the Forza Horizon in xbox. The Crew is in both of platforms and PC too, it's Arcade game and it's not the same style of game with GT and Forza.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would rather have Rockstar make an open world street racer - basically the GTA V world with better driving physics :)
mobile_information_header.jpg

Back