Porsche Cayman GT4 2016

Leonidae@MFT

MFT Crash Test Dummie
Premium
Finland
Riverside, Ca
GTP_Leonidae_MFT
Good news, everyone! Porsche has finally realized that with Cayman they have a winner, and added a pair of turbos on it!

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret...che-Cayman-GT4-2015-hottest-Cayman-yet-spied/

The new, be-winged 2015 Porsche Cayman GT4 coupe has been caught testing near the Nurburgring in Germany by CAR magazine's spy photographers.

It's a major change for the Porsche Cayman sports car: the GT4 is due to become the first factory-finished turbocharged Cayman in the model's eight-year history and it's the first roadgoing Porsche expected to deploy the GT4 badge.

Following in the footsteps of the Cayman R - and then some - the forced-induction Cayman GT4 is bound to raise questions with enthusiasts, who are already fretting over the revvy nature of its turbocharged flat-six in forums such as Pistonheads.

CAR understands the engine powering the GT4 is the company's 3.8-litre twin-turbo boxer six, tuned to develop around 450bhp.

Our new scoop pictures of next year's GT4 reveal a surprisingly beefed-up coupe, with aero addenda to make a Cayman R's modest rear spoiler look positively weedy.

A massive track-spec rear wing sits on the Cayman's bootlid to squash the rear of the car into the road at speed, while the front-end spoiler is the most aggressive yet seen on a Cayman.

But the visible changes only scratch the surface of the upgrades going on under the skin to keep the 450bhp Cayman GT4 on the road. Huge extra cooling vents channel more air to the flat six engine and the beefed-up brakes, visible through the new lightweight, five-spoke alloy wheels.

This prototype Porsche Cayman GT4 is fitted with a pretty beefy rollcage and there's a functional diffuser wrapped around the centre-exit twin exhaust pipes.

Porsche is developing the GT4 brand for its junior sports cars, leaving the GT3 and GT2 badging for the more senior 911s.

981 Cayman: a growing family
The 981-spec Porsche Cayman has had its product cycle extended, according to CAR's Zuffenhausen sources, meaning that we can expect a stream of derivatives.

While the previous 987-era coupe had only Cayman, Cayman S and Cayman R versions - give or take a Black Edition special or two - the new model is due to get a raft of spin-offs.

Porsche has already shown the Cayman GTS, which we've driven this summer, and the new GT4 is destined to become the most extreme Cayman yet.

Will it encroach too far into 911 territory? The clue is in the name: the GT4 is designed to be hardcore, but different in character to the more focused 911s.

Porsche Cayman GT4 teased in Real Racing 3

7399196951967482677.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, your Cayman GT4.

Manual only.

landscape_nrm_1423004552-p15_0065.jpg

Here it is, the 2016 Porsche Cayman GT4.

The mid-engined meanie will debut a month from now at the 2015 Geneva Auto Show, and it's already a monster. Its 7:40 lap of the Nürburgring Nordschleife is equal to the time posted by the 2011 Porsche 911 GT3.

Power comes from a 3.8L flat six derived from the 911 Carrera S. It makes 385 hp, and that power is transmitted to the rear wheels exclusively via a six-speed stick. No PDK here, folks. The lesson of the 911 GT3 has been learned.

- - - - -

Press release

New addition to the GT family of Porsche high performance models

The benchmark in its class: the Porsche Cayman GT4

Porsche is proud to introduce a new addition to its line of revered GT high performance models; the Cayman GT4.

This is the first time Porsche has introduced such a focused GT model based on the mid-engined, two-seat Cayman coupe. Sharing components and genetic spirit with the iconic 911 GT3, a lap time of 7 min 40 sec around the Nürburgring Nordschleife places the Cayman GT4 emphatically as the new benchmark at the top of its market segment. It also makes a clear statement that Porsche will continue to promote radical two-door sports cars now and in the future - sports cars that are developed at the company's Motorsport department in Weissach.

The engine, chassis, brakes and aerodynamic design of the Cayman GT4 are configured for maximum driving dynamics; yet the top model still retains the versatility and everyday utility that are typical of a Porsche sports car.

The Cayman GT4 is powered by a mid-mounted, 3.8-litre flat-six engine with 385 hp (283 kW), which is derived from the 911 Carrera S engine. Its power is transmitted by a standard six-speed manual gearbox with dynamic gearbox mounts - there is no PDK transmission option. This translates in to acceleration from zero to 62 mph in 4.4 seconds; top speed is 183 mph. The car's NEDC fuel consumption is 27.4 mpg. The body is lowered by 30 mm versus the standard Cayman, and features a purposefully-proportioned brake system. Furthermore, the chassis has been comprehensively fine-tuned with many components shared with the 911 GT3.

Fit for the race track: first Porsche Cayman with downforce on both axles
The new GT4 is clearly differentiated from its brothers in the Cayman range. Three distinctive inlet openings in the nose and a large fixed rear wing are part of an aerodynamic package which is systematically designed to not only reduce lift but also generate downforce.

Upon request, the Cayman GT4 can be equipped even more comprehensively for more sporting, or track day driving. Options include PCCB ceramic brakes, shell-backed seats made of carbon fibre reinforced plastic (CFRP), a custom Sport Chrono Package with the unique Track Precision app, and a Club Sport Package.

The interior of the Cayman GT4 is designed so that the driver and passenger can become immersed in unfiltered driving enjoyment. Sports seats, upholstered in a combination of leather and Alcantara, are distinguished by very good lateral support. Due to its compact dimensions, the new GT4 sports steering wheel guarantees ideal control and direct steering feedback.

Technical aspects of the new Cayman GT4 are based on the 911 GT3. As a mid-engined sports car and a prime example of driving dynamics in its class, it follows the conceptual tradition of such cars as the 904 GTS, 911 GT1, Carrera GT and 918 Spyder.

GT sports cars from Porsche embody the most passionate transfer of technology from the race track to the road, and clearly demonstrate the sporting core of the brand: Intelligent Performance. Four out of five drivers of Porsche GT models also use their cars to participate in track days and club motorsport.

The Cayman GT4 goes on sale in Porsche Centres in the UK and Ireland today priced from £64,451, and will celebrate its world premiere in March at the Geneva International Motor Show. First customer deliveries are scheduled for the end of March.

Standard equipment includes bi-Xenon headlights, sports exhaust, Sport Chrono Pack with dynamic engine mounts, leather/Alcantara interior trim, sports seats, 20-inch alloy wheels, Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) with rear limited slip differential, digital radio, a universal audio interface offering MP3 connectivity, automatic climate control, Porsche Stability Management (PSM), a Porsche Vehicle Tracking anti-theft system and a three-year warranty.

Customers will also be able to explore the potential of their new car by participating in a complimentary course at the Porsche Experience Centre, Silverstone.

It's awesome but hilariously stunted. The Cayman platform could easily outperform the 911. This car was basically a result of Porsche sitting round the table and figuring out how to make it quicker than the Cayman S but slower than everything else.

It's probably an amazing car but it's a somewhat pathetic product.

How about we get someone to update the thread title? @tpark103 @Omnis

It's awesome but hilariously stunted. The Cayman platform could easily outperform the 911. This car was basically a result of Porsche sitting round the table and figuring out how to make it quicker than the Cayman S but slower than everything else.

It's probably an amazing car but it's a somewhat pathetic product.

It's like a second chance to buy a *new* 996 GT3. :lol:

That being said, I don't perceive that as a bad thing at all. Only it doesn't look nearly as good as the 996 GT3. Porsche, can you just make the 996 GT3 again?

Even better... samurai split!

-

Well... all I can say is: Finally. And like Keef... really? Was there a conscious effort to make sure it didn't set a Nurb laptime as quick as any current 911?

"Herr Engineer... we still have to subtract three seconds from the lap time to clear the Carrera!"

"Schimtt, Herbert, go find some narrower tires and swap them in, then send the car out again."

It's like a second chance to buy a *new* 996 GT3. :lol:

That being said, I don't perceive that as a bad thing at all. Only it doesn't look nearly as good as the 996 GT3. Porsche, can you just make the 996 GT3 again?
Yeah, this pretty much is the 996 GT3 all over again. And that's okay. Though I'm not sure if I think this looks better than the 996 GT3. Still, I like it. But I will agree that maybe Porsche should just stop trying make the Cayman not one up the 911. They should just give the 3.4 in the S the same output as the base 911, and give the GT4 the same power as the Carrera S, or even the GTS. As for the base 2.7, maybe increase the displacement and bump it up closer to 300 horsepower.

And like Keef... really? Was there a conscious effort to make sure it didn't set a Nurb laptime as quick as any current 911?

"Herr Engineer... we still have to subtract three seconds from the lap time to clear the Carrera!"

"Schimtt, Herbert, go find some narrower tires and swap them in, then send the car out again."
This is basically what they've done since the Cayman debuted. It is the 911's more agile but overprotected little brother. The car has been castrated since its inception. The platform is better, yet to maintain the 911 nameplate's legacy and dominance they always give the Cayman smaller engines, less technology, etc. There's a reason the Boxster twins land on all the "best sports car" lists instead of the 911; it's not because they're cheaper and definitely not because they're slower.

Now I have new favorite 21st century Porsche. And thanks to depreciation, I just might be able to afford one someday... in Germany.

Last edited:
No PDK here, folks. The lesson of the 911 GT3 has been learned.
So what does that mean?

They obviously omitted the PDK to hold the GT4 back a bit on 0-60mph (oh noes what a depressing tragedy), but are there any other reasons? Because we all know Porsche doesn't care what low-income individuals like me think of PDK.

So what does that mean?

They obviously omitted the PDK to hold the GT4 back a bit on 0-60mph (oh noes what a depressing tragedy), but are there any other reasons? Because we all know Porsche doesn't care what low-income individuals like me think of PDK.
Their "Rebels, race on" slogan in the above video to me means "this is for everyone complaining about the PDK in the GT3".

Why wasn't PDK included? That's dumb. Does it not fit or something? If it's for political reasons, that's just totally dumb. They need to make the Cayman as good as it can be, and if it defeats the 911, then make the 911 better. Duh.

Why wasn't PDK included? That's dumb. Does it not fit or something? If it's for political reasons, that's just totally dumb. They need to make the Cayman as good as it can be, and if it defeats the 911, then make the 911 better. Duh.
See above.

I guess Porsche will learn that it doesn't matter whether it's PDK-only or manual-only, people are going to whine and argue with each other about which is better.

Probably the first Porsche I want in my life for a while, also what sort of wide nurburgring is that?

I'd guess political reasons. There's no reason to think a PDK-equipped Cayman GT4 wouldn't approach 4 dead for the 0-60 run.
I guess Porsche will learn that it doesn't matter whether it's PDK-only or manual-only, people are going to whine and argue with each other about which is better.

I suppose this is just another issue where "give people options" is a good idea. Just like the GT section :P

Probably the first Porsche I want in my life for a while, also what sort of wide nurburgring is that?

Forza, is that you? :P

I've always loved the Porsche Cayman, and this one is certainly fabulous and capable. I love the blue color for it in Post #3. I'd buy two of these (unless they aren't street legal or anything).

This car just shot very close to the top of my want list. I can't imagine it being anything other than amazing. NA, manual, MR, and totally mental. I NEED IT!

Given how frequently and for how long manual purists have been complaining about the lack of that option, virtually every single time it comes up -- from the 991 GT3 all the way down to an everyday Mazda/BMW -- I guess I assumed companies like Porsche found no reason to oblige and stopped listening a long time ago. There will certainly be more PDK-only Porsches in the future, specifically considering what he said about setting up a car to match the transmission, but it's nice to see they haven't quite sold their soul yet.

Back