The best way I can honestly see F1 bettering its situation in america....

• Thread starter A2K78
  • 69 comments
United States
orlando,FL,USA
1. Having an American-based team ---- check

2. Having an American Driver --- to be determined

3. Having multiple races in the states ---??

4. Moving the season opener to america as oppose to australia

anybody agree?

1. That team still needs publicity amongst the American populous to get noticed. Just being on the grid isn't enough.

2. The driver needs to be someone that can be competitive, not just be present.

3. They want multiple races and it was suppose to happen until the United States Grand Prix set for New Jersey failed to launch.

4. Season opener in USA won't work unless they race in Hawaii, Florida or California. Even COTA sits in an area that is relatively cold in March. So, that pretty much leaves Long Beach GP as their only option.

I don't think Formula 1 will ever be relevant in the US since most Americans will never hold any kind of interest in racing. I say anything related to any form of racing at all, international or in the homeland, and the response I always hear is, "sorry, I don't really follow NASCAR." This country strives on NFL and American Idol. At least this is what I observe where I live. I'm a total outcast.

The USA would have to race in Baltimore some how. A city circuit does wonders to make local tv headlines(oh, and make sure MTV, YOUTUBE and Ellen talk about it). Good or bad for commuters doesn't matter.

Someone like Patrick Dempsey or Will I Am would have to be involved. And Apple would have to fund it.

Beats by Dre sponsorship.

Zack Efron would have to be driving.

No F1 starts at Oz lol.

Honestly who cares about America F1 has done fine without it.

I think many people would agree that F1 isn't doing fine right now. If F1 were to become as popular in America as NASCAR, I'm sure that would do nothing but help the sport and teams, but hey, who cares about America, right? :rolleyes:

I think many people would agree that F1 isn't doing fine right now. If F1 were to become as popular in America as NASCAR, I'm sure that would do nothing but help the sport and teams, but hey, who cares about America, right? :rolleyes:
It would help yes, but F1 doesn't need America like people would assume, America is a very Complex Commercial environment and Sports tend to only be popular after growing from grassroots.

Besides hasn't NASCAR been declining in the last few years?

Americans don't tend to care about world wide sports in general. National Hockey League, National Football League, National basketball Association, should give a hint of that.

1. Having an American-based team ---- check

2. Having an American Driver --- to be determined

3. Having multiple races in the states ---??

4. Moving the season opener to america as oppose to australia

anybody agree?
I don't see why America should get any special treatment. It's not so important to Formula 1 that it deserves it.

Americans don't tend to care about world wide sports in general. National Hockey League, National Football League, National basketball Association, should give a hint of that.
Not to mention their Motor Racing is very National, NASCAR is basically the Monopoly of all Oval racing in the world.

International Sports don't tend to breach into American Mainstream.

F1 has mainly been focusing on Developing Countries as of late with emerging economys, although I think Middle Eastern races are probably a Short to Mid term thing as they are willing to spend ungodly amount of money to Host, China would certainly not be one of them, Not to mention Singapore the Commercial and Buisness Hub of Asia to the West has been a monumental Success.

4 American countries will host a Grand Prix in 2015. They are:

- Canada
- USA
- Mexico
- Brasil

8 European countries will host a GP in 2015. 9 if you count Russia and specifically Sochi as European

I think it's a balanced distribution. I do miss Argentina though, that (american) country is also important in F1's DNA since its origins.

1) Have the F1 cars driven around Long Beach by celebrities in open faced helmets.
2) Have flames shoot out the back of the cars.
3) Have an economy where working class people aspire to drive cars.

I'm not so sure F1 needs to do anything differently to help it's stance in the U.S. It finally has a stable GP and the TV ratings are increasing.

Will it ever be as big as the native series' here? No. However there certainly is room to grow as ratings for NASCAR are down, so it's the perfect time for F1 to grab some of those (which it has been).

It would help yes, but F1 doesn't need America like people would assume,

Of course it doesn't, but it's a huge market with a lot of cash up for grabs, which seems in short supply in F1 currently (granted the teams themselves aren't helping that cause).

That's more on American companies not sponsoring teams than anything else then... They don't want to sponsor things that won't give them a return in investment.

That's more on American companies not sponsoring teams than anything else then... They don't want to sponsor things that won't give them a return in investment.

Who said anything about sponsorship?

The more fans there are the more butts in the seats and eyeballs on the TV, which means you can charge more for both.

The key to it all is marketing, if F1 was advertised more often here , you would see gigantic growth in the US in terms of fans of F1. You can have an American driver, team, and races, but noone outside of the die-hard fans will know about it unless you market it to people (hence partially why Indycar has terrible ratings, they barely market their series)

It could work! Your average joe already refers to Indy Car as Formula 1. :dopey:

The USA would have to race in Baltimore some how. A city circuit does wonders to make local tv headlines(oh, and make sure MTV, YOUTUBE and Ellen talk about it). Good or bad for commuters doesn't matter.

Baltimore's mayor hyped the races up. She wanted the grand prix to make Baltimore the next Monaco. I laughed.

I think F1 in the States really killed itself with the '05 fiasco, all Bridgestone had to do was supply tires without branding on them to the teams and a race could have been had,

and if you think F1 is all about putting backsides in bleachers, then you have to ask yourself, "why isn't there a street race in L.A or New York?" as far as I'm aware those are the 2 most densely populated area's of the Country,

Long Beach effectively is the Los Angeles area, and the proposed New Jersey street circuit was a river away from, and in the shadow of NYC. It would be impossible to hold a race within those two metro areas, but having a race in the surrounding areas works just as well.

Not to mention their Motor Racing is very National, NASCAR is basically the Monopoly of all Oval racing in the world.

International Sports don't tend to breach into American Mainstream.

F1 has mainly been focusing on Developing Countries as of late with emerging economys, although I think Middle Eastern races are probably a Short to Mid term thing as they are willing to spend ungodly amount of money to Host, China would certainly not be one of them, Not to mention Singapore the Commercial and Buisness Hub of Asia to the West has been a monumental Success.

The only thing F1 have been focusing on is governments that are willing to shell out money e.g. races people probably won't attend. Korea? China anybody?

Overall its stupid to say that its impossible for F1 to success in america on a more mainstream scale, problem is you have the people who run F1 who aren't doing nothing about. The same can be said about MotoGP...

F1 was popular when I grew up. I've never been to Watkins Glen even though I lived in NYC. they were more daredevil back then.

If there were a "rich housewives/gf/girl of the month" of F1 show. Might be a slight chance of interest.

The real risk I see here is in Formula 1 changing its approach to accommodate American audiences and devaluing itself in the process. Look at rallying - in Europe, it's considered to be a discipline, but in the United States, it's an extreme sport. Formula 1 needs to retain that discipline approach or else risk getting tied up in spectacle. Some would say that they have already gone too far in that regard.

Ferrari,Honda and Mercedes-Benz would disagree with that idea since the U.S. is their #1 worldwide sales market.
It might be important to the individual teams, but I am talking about the sport as a whole. Deciding what direction the sport should take based on the commercial interests of teams sounds like a very bad idea to me.

I don't know that it's necessarily a bad thing that Global Rallycross is the way it is... but then, it's not WRC... and any similar event in the US using open wheel racers won't be F1.

-

F1 will not achieve the same level of success in the US that it has elsewhere as long as NASCAR exists. With NASCAR competing for top level drivers and providing big pay to the best ones, all American feeders are focused on NASCAR. And as long as there are no direct feeders for F1 in the US, there'll be no hometown hero for Americans to root for.

Back