Midfield Raceway freezing PS3

• Thread starter NixxxoN
  • 32 comments

NixxxoN

(Banned)
Spain
Barcelona
I was just doing some laps at the new track when it froze the game, and the entire PS3, and it made it stop completely!
Anyone else?? I'm worried, maybe its my PS3 but I'd like to think otherwise!

I was just doing some laps at the new track when it froze the game, and the entire PS3, and it made it stop completely!
Anyone else?? I'm worried, maybe its my PS3 but I'd like to think otherwise!

My GT6 sometimes freezes too , but it's not because of a specific track , IDK if that's your case...

My GT6 sometimes freezes too , but it's not because of a specific track , IDK if that's your case...
Do you get the flashing red light? Thats because of overheating, but I think my PS3 never did that before, only the fans at full speed, but never shutting itself down completely like that.
Its a bad sign, and I'm going to send my PS3 to repair/clean and change the thermal paste, but still, maybe Midfield raceway has some sort of bug?
When I play non-demanding games such as FIFA/PES it never overheats.

Do you get the flashing red light? Thats because of overheating, but I think my PS3 never did that before, only the fans at full speed, but never shutting itself down completely like that.
Its a bad sign, and I'm going to send my PS3 to repair/clean and change the thermal paste, but still, maybe Midfield raceway has some sort of bug?

Mine doesn't overheat and the fans are quiet , but GT6 itself freezes.

If you have a fat PS3, I highly suggest you to put it in an outside environment, not in a case or in a furniture. Just put it on the ground. The Fat PS3 needs lots of air, especially for GT6.

If you have a fat PS3, I highly suggest you to put it in an outside environment, not in a case or in a furniture. Just put it on the ground. The Fat PS3 needs lots of air, especially for GT6.
That's what I've always done, but I'm afraid its not enough, and after some years it also needs an inside cleaning and change thermal paste...

You're lucky if you still have a working Fat PS3. I want mine back sooo bad. I don't care how heavy it is.

Fat chance anyone know where I can buy one in the future? Nah? Nahhhhhhhhh.

You're lucky if you still have a working Fat PS3. I want mine back sooo bad. I don't care how heavy it is.

I have the latest FAT version, as far as I know they're the most improved and reliable ones.

Once in a great while mine will freeze but not on GT6 though. Mostly other things like youtube or Tunein. Vidzone etc. I have a fat one and it's still going. Vertical and open environment.

I got a black screen yesterday when trying to start a time trial. It could have been due to me just getting disconnected from my own mid-field free run lobby that I had been in for 4 hours prior.

I have the latest FAT version, as far as I know they're the most improved and reliable ones.
Are PS2 games compatible with it? If not, then I'm still jealous.

The last time GT6 on my console freeze was around December of 2013 i think, no crash or freeze happened after that.
I got the Slim a few years back and I think it was the laser lens that stopped working. Yup, i remember because I tried cleaning it for the reward of only playing a couple days worth of GT6 (day one)!#!#@!# haha

ps3repairshop helped me out and I haven't had a problem since.

Last edited:
Are PS2 games compatible with it? If not, then I'm still jealous.

No, only the first FAT PS3 models were compatible with PS2 games, and those were the most unreliable ones.

But I don't care, because my old PS2 still works :lol:
and sometimes I play PS1 and PS2 games there, including all the old GT's.

No, only the first FAT PS3 models were compatible with PS2 games, and those were the most unreliable ones.

But I don't care, because my old PS2 still works :lol:
and sometimes I play PS1 and PS2 games there, including all the old GT's.
I know.... I WAS 1NE OF THEM!!!!!
I bought it something like three months after it launched and got the 60 GBiter. I don't want to think about it. It lost the fight. Nothing can fix it now, the motherboard is fried. I want another one for novelty of it and to Inspector Gadget it out maybe so.

I know.... I WAS 1NE OF THEM!!!!!
I bought it something like three months after it launched and got the 60 GBiter. I don't want to think about it. It lost the fight. Nothing can fix it now, the motherboard is fried. I want another one for novelty of it and to Inspector Gadget it out maybe so.
Why dont you search for a 2nd hand one? Since the PS4 has been out for some time, I think 2nd hand PS3 must be really cheap now.

Why dont you search for a 2nd hand one? Since the PS4 has been out for some time, I think 2nd hand PS3 must be really cheap now.
You'd be surprised at how expensive they still are used in the U.S.

You'd be surprised at how expensive they still are used in the U.S.
Where I live you get them for 125-150€ in shops with some guarantee, which is some money but not a lot (roughly $140-175 I think)

That's what I've always done, but I'm afraid its not enough, and after some years it also needs an inside cleaning and change thermal paste...
Yes this may be the solution if you haven't done any yet, it is vital to keep a Fat PS3 alive, all of mine died :D and now keeping a slim one for many years..
There are tons of videos on Youtube of how you can perform a total fresh cleaning of the Fat PS3. If you have never done any, you'll be surprised of the amount of dust you'll find :D

Yes this may be the solution if you haven't done any yet, it is vital to keep a Fat PS3 alive, all of mine died :D and now keeping a slim one for many years..
There are tons of videos on Youtube of how you can perform a total fresh cleaning of the Fat PS3. If you have never done any, you'll be surprised of the amount of dust you'll find :D
Yeah, but I'm not very good at unmounting/mounting PS3 and I prefer to take them to a repair site, and that's what I'll do. It'll cost me 40 or 50€ but I have guarantee that it is well repaired and with quality thermal paste.

I repasted my PS3 on my own, it's not exact science :P you could do that as well I'm pretty sure. Takes about 1 hour. Since then, my PS3 is running as quietly as a new one would.

(Service will charge at least 20€.)

I repasted my PS3 on my own, it's not exact science :P you could do that as well I'm pretty sure. Takes about 1 hour. Since then, my PS3 is running as quietly as a new one would.

(Service will charge at least 20€.)
Maybe its easier for you but with this kind of delicate things I dont really trust in myself :D

@Lord Protector @another_jakhole

So... finally my PS3 died :indiff: It was too late to repaste it, overheating caused some problem on the motherboard, and its more expensive to repair than to buy a 2nd hand slim one... sigh.

I'll have to pay 90€ for an used slim PS3. Ouch

I have one of the original PS3s with backwards compatibility... Just need to drop $50 for a new reader.

I bought it when they were over $600.

$700 actually... Either way I'm not getting screwed by Sony again. I'll get the PS4 when it's $400 or under.

My, now retired/dead, fat PS3 got killed by GT-5's B-spec Bobs. Heat gunned twice and working for a month or so. First gen slim still working even after two HD crashes.

I've replaced two blu-ray lasers because of GT6. 250 GB slim PS3 bought in 2010.

If it happens again, I'm buying the digital version.

Maybe it's time for reinstall game once again..
I got one freeze after exiting track after race finish.
Similar problems where there with mount panorama around 1.09 or so, reinstall helped out and none freeze after that if not counting this one freeze now with Mid-Field.

I have one of the original PS3s with backwards compatibility... Just need to drop $50 for a new reader.

I bought it when they were over $600.

$700 actually... Either way I'm not getting screwed by Sony again. I'll get the PS4 when it's $400 or under.

As far as I know the PS4 released at $399 and is still $399. You can even find a bundle for $399 that includes a game or a headset maybe others..

As far as I know the PS4 released at $399 and is still $399. You can even find a bundle for $399 that includes a game or a headset maybe others..
They bumped it up $50 for Canadians. Also bumped the price of controllers.

Japanese companies love doing that to us.
The 370Z (which is made in Canada) costs $20k more here, the Miata costs $10k more.

I think Toyota is the only Japanese car manufacturer that doesn't **** us over.

Back