bynj7tclzziqbvmmbdyn.jpg

s70a4yd3cg3z2ol5ifqz.jpg

dglywbi8azdkj1na4fsk.jpg

eezvpdgujil8dnakdhbv.jpg

pbkzayoqywagf20iyvxp.jpg

gskurxqbjhlthxqqzasp.jpg

Last edited:
What does the 6 in the "Speed 6" mean?
It has usually referred to the engine layout in other cars, as in six cylinders.

This thing is great. But I can't help but think that the Continental GT should have a thinner, more athletic look as well. That thing has always looked a bit pudgy for my liking.

It has usually referred to the engine layout in other cars, as in six cylinders.

This thing is great. But I can't help but think that the Continental GT should have a thinner, more athletic look as well. That thing has always looked a bit pudgy for my liking.
Being a british car, I could see this as an Aston-Martin or Jaguar fight if it did come out to production.

Great looking car, but it has a lot of ground to cover.

Sure, the Conti V8S is the one to get these days, but its also a car that's showing its age. If a Speed 6 comes around, well, is it slotting under the Conti, or is it an outright replacement? Seeing as how everyone and their sister wants to take their stab at Porsche these days, does Bentley really want to dig around in a sub-$200k market for a new model?

Even more interesting will probably be how deep they dig in the parts bin for the powertrain. If the name implies anything, it'll have a force-fed six-cylinder engine. Fair bet these days is that they'll borrow from Porsche and nab that 3.6L twin-turbo V6 that's good for 440 BHP. I'd be wondering if it'd get the PDK as well, or, if they'd stick with the ZF 8-speed unit that's gone in just about everything.

Yes! Finally a decent looking Bentley after the recent spate of hideous looking ones. I like the 6 on the radiator, the whole thing looks quite 'Zagato'.

I'd actually guess that it has a V6. Usually the "speed x" tells the number of cylinders.

The face is horrid imo, but am I the only one that sees a bit of Aston Martin Vantage in the proportions?

The face is horrid imo, but am I the only one that sees a bit of Aston Martin Vantage in the proportions?
No you're not, i see that too. Don't mind the face at all though, and as i love the Vantage (best car AM has ever made, imo), I really like this too.

Looking at it, you'd think it was a design exercise for the Conti GT penned over a decade ago. The squat front end even reminds me of the Hunaudieres Concept.

Really don't like how the rear lights mimic the tailpipes, but the rest of it is slowly growing on me.

It does have a touch of 'Hunaudieres' about it. I've never understood why VAG couldn't just give the green light to the Bentley.. Would have much preferred it over the Veyron.

The rear end would have needed some work as it was unsightly, but everything else was all business.

I'm hoping this becomes a thing.

It does have a touch of 'Hunaudieres' about it. I've never understood why VAG couldn't just give the green light to the Bentley.. Would have much preferred it over the Veyron.

Bentley didn't want or ask for a green light for the Hunaudieres as far as I heard. VW had developed it, they wanted a very powerful mid-W-engined supercar, they just didn't know what they wanted it to be, the Nardo, the Rosemeyer, the Hunaudieres, the early VW EB Bugatti concepts. The chaps at Crewe were surprised when this concept landed on their desks from ze Germans, and I believe there was some resistance, since it wasn't a traditional Bentley (mid engined Hyper car and all that). They'd also just bought Bugatti and the concept was in principle much closer to the EB110 etc, so in the end VW just took it down the Bugatti road instead.

edit: Basically just VW trying to leverage it's new Brand name.

... at least that's what my Dad told me from his days working for Rolls Royce & Bentley Motor Cars, latterly just Bentley - mostly he just worked on projets for the Sultan ;)

Bentley didn't want or ask for a green light for the Hunaudieres as far as I heard. VW had developed it, they wanted a very powerful mid-W-engined supercar, they just didn't know what they wanted it to be, the Nardo, the Rosemeyer, the Hunaudieres, the early VW EB Bugatti concepts. The chaps at Crewe were surprised when this concept landed on their desks from ze Germans, and I believe there was some resistance, since it wasn't a traditional Bentley (mid engined Hyper car and all that). They'd also just bought Bugatti and the concept was in principle much closer to the EB110 etc, so in the end VW just took it down the Bugatti road instead.

edit: Basically just VW trying to leverage it's new Brand name.

... at least that's what my Dad told me from his days working for Rolls Royce & Bentley Motor Cars, latterly just Bentley - mostly he just worked on projets for the Sultan ;)
Oh, didn't know that, but i guess it makes sense.

Your dad worked on projects for the Sultan of Brunei? That's sounds awesome! 👍
Iv'e contributed a little bit to Bentley, myself. Used to help make the Bentley radiator grills, for a company in Birmingham. back in the late 90's.

It was quite interesting, obviously most of it was official secrets act, and when your customer is the Sultan of Brunei you take it pretty seriously, but I got to see a lot of the concept renderings mostly because at that stage I was hoping to one day become a render artist :D

Most of the cars have since been exposed anyway, this site (not English) covers quite a few http://svammelsurium.blogg.se/2009/may/bentleys-som-man-inte-trodde-fanns.html

Dad had a number of roles before and after the RR & BMC split, and during his career also worked for British Leyland, Lada cars, the Rover Group, Daewoo, Toyota and a top notch coach builder. He has some interesting stories about most, especially Lada. The downside was most of the company cars were crap!

Edit: @Nessy it's oddly satisfying making stuff like that isn't it. Probably the closest I got was hand making some bits for the McMerc SLR 722, and for an un-named MSO project.

Last edited:
Back