Warning: B-Spec/Suspend Championship bug

• Thread starter tankuroded
  • 22 comments
Indonesia
Paint booth
FMecha_EXE
This notice just popped in my News box:

gran-turismo.com
After the installation of Update 1.16 for Gran Turismo 6, an issue has been found wherein it is not possible to resume a Championship race that has been previously suspended while playing in "B-Spec" mode.

Steps to reproduce

(1) Within [Career Mode], start a Championship in "B-Spec" mode;
(2) After finishing a race, regardless of whether the it is completed or aborted, select [Suspend Championship] from the Quick Menu;
(3) The message “Suspend the championship and exit the game. You will be able to resume the championship from this point the next time you load the game.” is displayed and the [OK] button is pressed;
(4) The game will autosave and the message “Thank you for playing. If you press the PS button and exit the game, you'll be able to pick up where you left off when you next start the game. If you return to the race, race suspension will be cancelled.” is displayed, and the game is closed;
(5) After restarting the game, selecting either [A-Spec] or [B-Spec] does not start the race, making it impossible to resume the Championship.

How to avoid this issue

In order to avoid this issue, please refrain from suspending a Championship race while playing in "B-Spec" mode; if you suspend a Championship race while playing in "A-Spec" mode, you will be able to successfully resume the race later on.

If you have been already affected by this issue, please select [Exit] in the Quick Menu screen during step (5) above. This will return you to the “My Home” screen and will allow you to continue the game. However, please note that unfortunately doing so will delete your Championship progress.

We will publish a further notice once we have completed working on the fix to address this issue. We deeply apologise for any inconvenience this may cause to you.

Hope this bug gets fixed soon. :indiff:

I had that happen to me the other day.
So new rule of thumb, finish the championship.

How PD works on an update:

smI1T6J.png

Sounds like a minor inconvenience at most. Championships are short so there is no problem completing them in one go. I honestly do not think I have ever suspended one since GT4. Those were another story I think it was about 15 hours to complete the FGT championship 15 races@ ~1hr each. The ones in GT6 take at most ~1hr total so no biggie.

That said it is good to know, just in case.

Sounds like a minor inconvenience at most. Championships are short so there is no problem completing them in one go. I honestly do not think I have ever suspended one since GT4. Those were another story I think it was about 15 hours to complete the FGT championship 15 races@ ~1hr each. The ones in GT6 take at most ~1hr total so no biggie.

That said it is good to know, just in case.

I do use "Suspend Championship" to save-scum GT300/GT500 Series, IIRC. :)

I do use "Suspend Championship" to save-scum GT300/GT500 Series, IIRC. :)
Really? In B-Spec? What would be the point? Would take almost as long to save, exit, restore the save, reload and continue as it would just to restart and run it again.

From the message it would appear A-Spec is not affected but even if it were it still would not be a big deal. Those races are all easy [with the possible exception of the RB events] and don't take long to run.

Really? In B-Spec? What would be the point? Would take almost as long to save, exit, restore the save, reload and continue as it would just to restart and run it again.

From the message it would appear A-Spec is not affected but even if it were it still would not be a big deal. Those races are all easy [with the possible exception of the RB events] and don't take long to run.

That save-scumming was in A-spec though. ;)

It is still something PD could have and should have checked before releasing, We can all easily replicate the results, I very nearly did it myself a few days ago but thought I would finish the championship before bed.

It's impossible to check everything. All softwares are released with bugs. The best you can do is to fix them when they're discovered.

Something like that would be easy to miss when testing. I would have likely missed it, would not even think about suspending those short races in B-Spec mode. As bugs go it is a very minor one.

It's impossible to check everything. All softwares are released with bugs. The best you can do is to fix them when they're discovered.
But, it is possible to check likely used feaute combinations. However PD has shown many times that Quality Control is not one of their strongest features, so this is probably to be expected.

But, it is possible to check likely used feaute combinations.

But there could be thousands of different combinations. It's impossible to check everything. The only reasonable way to generate the amount of testing needed to catch most of the bugs would be to have open beta testing, let a couple of thousand players test the update before it is released.

However PD has shown many times that Quality Control is not one of their strongest features, so this is probably to be expected.

Just like every other software developer there is. The presence of bugs is not an indicator of quality control, it's an indicator of the complexity of the systems. I promise you that even if they spend 10 years chasing bugs before they release an update there would still be bugs hidden in the system somewhere.

Show me a software that was released without bugs and I'll give you a cookie.

Bugs doesn't magically disappear because you spend more time on development.
However, you gain more experience with that time, though.

I found this actually hillarious since its actually overlooked in GTP but PD step up anyways announcing the unknown bug.

I remember seeing an article when Windows 2000 was released stating that there was only 250,000 known bugs in the software ;)

I read an article about Bill Gates, where he said that he only hired lazy people for complicated jobs, because lazy people will find an easy way to solve the problems.

So, if you were an update tester, you wouldn't try and suspend a championship to see if it worked properly?

(I understand if they did test it and it magically became a bug when patch was released. [However, I do not think that really happens.])

So, if you were an update tester, you wouldn't try and suspend a championship to see if it worked properly?

(I understand if they did test it and it magically became a bug when patch was released. [However, I do not think that really happens.])

I'm not an update tester so I don't know what I would have done. It's easy to say in retrospect that this or that should have been tested, but would you have thought of that before you knew about the bug?

Let's take the course maker, for instance. What would you test for if you were an update tester?

Bug do usually tend to disappear if you do proper QA (Quality Assurance) testing. Sadly, though, it seems like PD doesn't do very much QA testing prior to releasing their products for use by the consumer.

Bug do usually tend to disappear if you do proper QA (Quality Assurance) testing.

Bugs do tend to get caught and fixed if you do proper testing.

Sadly, though, it seems like PD doesn't do very much QA testing prior to releasing their products for use by the consumer.

How do you know that bugs didn't get caught and fixed? One fish escaping through the net doesn't say anything about the quality of the net or how many fishes that were caught by it. It could have been the only fish passing through a poor net with lots of big holes or it could have been one of a million fishes and it was the only one lucky enough to find the only hole to pass through.

Back