Fanatec support comes to console

Johnnypenso

Well known double poster
Premium
Canada
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Johnnypenso
http://www.projectcarsgame.com/home/fanatec-wheel-support-comes-to-consoles

Project Cars has announced PS4 support for Fanatec wheels so we can safely conclude the same should be available for GT7. Raises the question though, was the much ballyhooed security chip a smokescreen of sorts?

Courtesy of @Cmorales1979

https://www.fanatec.com/forum/discussion/153/fanatec-on-playstation-4-and-xbox-one

nWMYEO2RRYRF2.jpg

Antoine Goossens
March 23

On PS3 and PS4 there is no generic wheel support within the operating system like it is on Xbox 360 or One.

On PS every game needs to integrate special drivers to make a peripheral work. But it is not difficult to implement those drivers. The challenge for us was to develop those drivers. We now gave the drivers to the game developers and you can expect more compatible games in future.

Last edited:
https://www.fanatec.com/forum/discussion/153/fanatec-on-playstation-4-and-xbox-one

nWMYEO2RRYRF2.jpg

Antoine Goossens
March 23
On PS3 and PS4 there is no generic wheel support within the operating system like it is on Xbox 360 or One.

On PS every game needs to integrate special drivers to make a peripheral work. But it is not difficult to implement those drivers. The challenge for us was to develop those drivers. We now gave the drivers to the game developers and you can expect more compatible games in future.

Sony were upfront about this from the start so don't see how it can be considered a smokescreen?
Do you have a link to the statement or press release(s) from Sony that states that the security chip is required only for XMB support and that many older wheels will work with the PS4 in terms of in game performance, but won't work in the XMB, so long as the manufacturers provide drivers for the wheels? In other words, a clear statement from Sony as to what is possible with legacy hardware.

Do you have a link to the statement or press release(s) from Sony that states that the security chip is required only for XMB support and that many older wheels will work with the PS4 in terms of in game performance, but won't work in the XMB, so long as the manufacturers provide drivers for the wheels? In other words, a clear statement from Sony as to what is possible with legacy hardware.

if I remember correctly security chip was only ever mentioned by Logitech in a tweet

if I remember correctly security chip was only ever mentioned by Logitech in a tweet
It was also in an interview with Fanatec as I recall. Was there ever any clear direction from Sony/MS?

The only option for all us DFGT owners without £300+ to spend on a wheel appears to be the crappy Thrustmaster T80 which doesn't even have force feedback. £80 for a plastic wheel linked to a couple of rubber bands is daylight robbery, so I really hope somebody finds a solution for the Logitech wheels.

Raises the question though, was the much ballyhooed security chip a smokescreen of sorts?

Its been known for a while that drivers were needed. You can map inputs of the G27 into warthunder. Theres no ffb and the wheel doesnt function properly BUT it does get a result.

Last year a driver was implemented into a fighting game to support PS3 Arcade Sticks. None of these arcade sticks had a security chip and of course T500 support is a no brainer.

So definitely a smoke screen.

Sony were very vague indeed but in that FAQ from Sony that was put out before the PS4 released it was mentioned PS3 arcade stick and wheel support was up to the dev and on a per game basis. In hindsight I can see that means it wont work in the main UI , back then I thought it meant devs could push the drivers through to sony to implement within a software update. I didnt think it would literally be game only use.

Anyways it great to see Fanatec support come through and hopefully with the huge ps4 sales Logitech will come through and support it

The only option for all us DFGT owners without £300+ to spend on a wheel appears to be the crappy Thrustmaster T80 which doesn't even have force feedback. £80 for a plastic wheel linked to a couple of rubber bands is daylight robbery, so I really hope somebody finds a solution for the Logitech wheels.

there is also the T100 FFB for £90/€77 (on amazon italy), it's inferior to DFGT but superior to T80

there is also the T100 FFB for £90/€77 (on amazon italy), it's inferior to DFGT but superior to T80
It's biggest downfall IMO, beside being far inferior compared to a similarly priced DFGT, is that it's a 270 degree wheel, so it gives all cars, kart-like steering.

270 Degrees? That's a good feature.

My DFGT is much better in GT3 than in any other GT game because it gets locked to 300 degrees. 900 degrees is for parallel parking and totally unnecessary in a race game.

I've got the CSW v2 and HPP pedals, they are both pieces of hardware with usb connection. Will I be able to use them together for GT7, since the PS4 has 2 usb ports?

I've got the CSW v2 and HPP pedals, they are both pieces of hardware with usb connection. Will I be able to use them together for GT7, since the PS4 has 2 usb ports?
I don't think the PS4 supports using pedals as a standalone device. I think that's possible only on PC.

Back