New Jaguar XF Unveiled... On a Wire Over River Thames

• Thread starter Legro
  • 37 comments
Finland
Finland
01.jpg
02.jpg

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/its-the-new-jag-xf-on-a-high-wire-2015-03-24

That is exactly how I imagined it would be before I opened the thread.

Last edited:
Two-gen previous Legacy at the rear glass.

A bit safe in light of the more sculpted current car.

I'm guessing that the XF-S now refers to the supercharged V6 petrol now. The last gen S was the twin turbo V6 diesel.

I never really interested in new Jags, i know they're good looking but never really attract me, until i see this one. I love the look of this car !

More information.

02.jpg
01.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
05.jpg
03.jpg

For starters it's 128 kg lighter, yet much stiffer than the old car, thanks to the new aluminum body. The lighter weight is distributed almost 50:50, which should help the handling. It's also bit longer and the wheels are further away to the corners of the car, so there's more legroom and interior space in general. There's some interesting technology inside the new car, including, new touchscreen system, colour head up display, traffic sign recognition, new sound system by Meridian and new digital dials. At first, there are three engines for UK and one for US, the UK engines are 2.0 diesel, which also comes with 6-speed manual, 3.0 diesel and 3.0 supercharged from the F-Type, US only gets the supercharged version in two trims, 340 hp and faster 376 hp, from which only the latter is available in UK.

I can't be alone in finding it interesting that the original XF was the car that sparked Jag's current design scheme, the shake-off-the-pipes-and-slippers move being applauded back then for giving them a completely new, contemporary look. Now, we arrive at the second-gen, and while it borrows some clever aluminium construction from, er, the entire rest of the Jag range, it's so willfully unchanging that it's hard to tell it apart from the old car, boring new taillights excepted. That backend almost looks like an Audi, really - the poster-company for dull, samey-looking model lines.

Impressive that it'll be the lightest, fastest car in its class over here, though, at least for the cooking models.

The rear bugs me a bit.

I don't know why everyone is insisting on joining the rear tail lights these days, it's like a fad which has re-emerged.

It looks a tad dull inside and out, more specifically the base model, but it's a improvement over the previous model.

After having played with the configurator, I'm officially not interested in this car. The interior looks cheap. The design is so dull and dreary and the exterior looks so deriviative that I would guess that it costs 20-25 grand, not the 35-55 it actually goes for. It reminds me of the Subaru Legacy: attractive, capable, and wholly unobjectionable. But very, very definitely not a 5 series/A6/E class competitor.

The biggest problem I have with it is that it looks more like a facelift rather than a new car. In the same way as modern Audis or Mercedes Benz W210 and W211, they went from something new to something that makes me think of enlarged XE, which looked a lot like the old XF, and that makes it, well dull. On the other hand, I can't find anything wrong with the rest of the car, it looks, while bit dull fairly okay, unlike the equivalent Lexus, and it's still more interesting than the rather dated E Class or the just plain dull choice of A6.

00-HOME-JAGUAR-XF-SVR-SPORTBRAKE.jpg

I still think that once these versions get released both XE and XF will be much better. I still think that CLS competitor will make up for generic looks of these 2. Also they both need F Type style rear lights, that would make it much better.

Not a sales success, no (though I quite liked the way it looked). Jag has already confirmed that it won't be making a Sportbrake version of the current XF.
I guess that Estates will come out but with unique designs. With different names.

I guess that Estates will come out but with unique designs. With different names.

Nope, Jaguar doesn't intend to build any estates for a while - it's focussing on SUVs and crossovers like the F-Pace instead. I read about it recently, but unfortunately I can't remember the source.

Nope, Jaguar doesn't intend to build any estates for a while - it's focussing on SUVs and crossovers like the F-Pace instead. I read about it recently, but unfortunately I can't remember the source.
I hope that one day we see F Type baja bug. It would work somehow. I still think that Jaguar needs more 2 door cars, because F Type isn't XK successor, it's E Type. S Class coupe opponent and luxury GT like Vanquish. Also 4 door F Type would work. I just want Jaguar to take chances like F Type or CX75. There is no more beatiful car today like F Type. This is not my only oppinion.

I hope there won't be only SUVs as crossovers, we obviously want shooting brakes and elegant coupe sedans. Also stuff like Project 7 is recommended. Also no coupe SUVs please. And estates are recommended

Land Rover should make a true off road vehicle like Defender

Can't say I'm surprised. The only people I know that seemingly like wagons are car enthusiasts. Hardly a group big enough to support the production of a mid-sized luxury car's wagon derivative.

I hope that one day we see F Type baja bug.

Jaguar should just burn any cash stockpiles. It'd be a lot quicker.

Well for starters, you can forget about the one on the right..

Not a sales success, no (though I quite liked the way it looked). Jag has already confirmed that it won't be making a Sportbrake version of the current XF.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...n-demise-at-jaguar-incorrect-says-design-boss

The latest comments suggest there might be a new wagon in Jaguar’s future with the most likely scenario being a second-generation XF Sportbake.

Latest Posts

Back