• 22 comments

Spacegoat

Really?
Premium
Australia
Corneria City
Orbital_Goat
ge4707079045388156999.jpg

Planned for Latin America, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and Europe. Set to debut before the end of the decade. Link.

Yes for legitimate business hauling, but seems Merc needs to lower itself to Cadillac standards and produce a pointless luxury pickup that has no practical use.
How do you know, it's going to be luxury vehicle? It's most likely going to be what Volkswagen Amarok is to the Caddy, as Mercedes Benz is already competing with the Caddy and other similar sized vans with the Citan.

How do you know, it's going to be luxury vehicle? It's most likely going to be what Volkswagen Amarok is to the Caddy, as Mercedes Benz is already competing with the Caddy and other similar sized vans with the Citan.

True, I don't know yet. Interesting this won't be offered in the U.S. market where the Mercedes brand is still primarily considered to be a luxury vehicle. I guess I jumped to conclusions through my American opinion of Mercedes-Benz. :)

NOT TO REAL AMERICA

But seriously - If they want to make a bajillion dollars, why not make a true luxury pickup with credible performance? We're getting the van, after all. How hard can it be?

O/T:

Yeah even as an "American" I get slightly annoyed when people refer to us as "America". Apparently South America doesn't exist... shouldn't they also be "Americans"?

BECAUSE, FREEDOM

Yes for legitimate business hauling, but seems Merc needs to lower itself to Cadillac standards and produce a pointless luxury pickup that has no practical use.

If you think a "luxury" pickup is of no practical use you've probably never had a job that required the use of a truck. Speaking as someone who has, I would have gladly taken MB luxury over all the generic ford plastic I've seen throughout the years.

But seriously - If they want to make a bajillion dollars, why not make a true luxury pickup with credible performance? We're getting the van, after all. How hard can it be?
One reason could be that Ford already tried to sell a pickup under a luxury brand, and it didn't really work very well, so it doesn't seem like a good business idea. Especially if you are German and don't really understand pickups. Even though I think that, a large Mercedes pickup could probably sell fairly well on that side of the pond.

Not for us? I don't care. Although rumors have surfaced that Volkswagen is considering bringing the Amarok to America, which makes me happy.

If you think a "luxury" pickup is of no practical use you've probably never had a job that required the use of a truck. Speaking as someone who has, I would have gladly taken MB luxury over all the generic ford plastic I've seen throughout the years.

Never had a job that required a truck, but luckily I've always known someone that was willing to lend theirs if I needed one to use. If I ever got a pickup, it'd be a used beater. Every truck I've driven that's been used for hauling is going to get dirty, dented and scratched. I just can't imagine buying a new Mercedes (or any pickup) and rapidly accelerating its inevitable value depreciation by inadvertently subjecting it to abuse. But I guess that's what trucks are for -- work!

One reason could be that Ford already tried to sell a pickup under a luxury brand, and it didn't really work very well, so it doesn't seem like a good business idea. Especially if you are German and don't really understand pickups. Even though I think that, a large Mercedes pickup could probably sell fairly well on that side of the pond.

The Lincoln Blackwood and Mark LT were bad ideas across the board. Although the first one was a far cry from an actual "truck," the second lacked the marketing and development to make it a contender. Although it died in America, it lived on in Mexico (odd), and to some extent spawned the growing number of luxury trucks that the market sees today (Ford King Ranch, Ram Laramie Longhorn, Chevrolet High Country, and GMC Denali). In a market that happily supports $55k+ quarter-ton pickups, I don't think Mercedes would have a tough sell if their product can do the same amount of work as the American options. No, they won't sell as much ('cause 'Murica), but, if there was ever a market for opportunity, the US would be it.

The Amarok is sold here because Australians actually take the "off-road" vehicles off road.

I refer to myself as a New Yorker when asked and also tell people I'm North American. As the rest of the world know there are more than one America. Though some Aussies rarely hear of Central America.

Anywho, what was it, the Cadillac XLT? The pickup version. If that were sold here, many people would change those tyres and lift it. But if that MB is going to be $100k+, I don't know who will buy one to be laughed at. Then again, put a snorkel on it in the showroom and see who bites.

Seriously though, North America doesn't get Volkswagen Amarok or Mitsubishi L200 either.

South America does, Mrs. Ten was watching some awful thing about Argentinian cuisine and all the wrinkly hill-people seemed to have new Amaroks.

O/T the name Amarok always makes me think of that great Slime-on/Carbuncle song.

Back on-topic; there's a big market for Mercedes amongst trades-peoples and pickups seem to be gaining popularity again in that market. This model will fit in nicely I think.

Yeah even as an "American" I get slightly annoyed when people refer to us as "America". Apparently South America doesn't exist... shouldn't they also be "Americans"?

Like.... 'Circuit of the Americas', surprised they let that one slide.

Back