What Does GT7 Need To Be The "Best" Gran Turismo?

• Thread starter Shirrako
  • 390 comments
United Kingdom
London, UK
Shirrako
What do you think the upcoming PS4 Gran Turismo needs in order to be the absolute best Gran Turismo game, highest rated GT and best selling GT,
gt7.jpg

Currently Gran Turismo 3 is the highest rated GT and the best selling GT.

Here's a video of my favorite GT games in order.
I think GT4 is the best simply because it offers the most content and a lot new features that the series needs, the menu is amazing and the soundtrack is great, however, GT6 physics are without a doubt the best the series has ever seen.

So what do you think the game needs the most?
What do reviewers pay attention to the most?
What do consumers pay attention to the most?

In the shortest way possible I'd just say go look at Codemasters games specfically DiRT 3 and Grid AS(currently play them most).

The Long-short way simply put you can look around the boards and find what most complain about.

1. A.I
2. Sound
3. Diffculty(Guess it's interchangeable with 1)
4. Car Count
5. Weather
6. Livery Editor
7. Race Weekend
8. Grid Start
9. Premium/Standard argument
10. Penalty Systems/Flags
11. Physics
12. Damage
13. Older Track/New Track upgraded or brought back to the series(SSR11 and El Captian)
14. Career Mode
15. Environment

None of these are in particular order, but this is what I know mostly browsing/commenting on the boards.

Me personally I think the game needs A.I the worst of all on the list. Reason just for the simple fact it would engage most racers instead of racing some 3 laps(which people already probably hate) bringing the A.I up would at least make the 3 laps or more seem worthwhile for the effort.

Some of the other things in the list aren't, or don't seem that important, but they make up the "little things".

Consumers what do they pay attention most.........advertisements I'm honestly starting to believe the only reason GT6 even underperformed is I don't ever remember seeing a commerical for the game, or anything like it.

Contrary to the belief you still need advertisments(of some form) I think the 2.2 or how many it even sold is representive of hardcore/people who just happen to keep up with the game etc.

Getting back to the game itself I've been on record stating that.

Simply doing three things correctly would put GT back in a better light then it currently is.

A.I, Career Mode(Taking us back to the golden days and more than 3 lap or 5 lap races etc.), and Me my own personal opinion (Environment).

Doing those three things would put them back into the middle of the pack I'd say.

As for the Environment part people say don't look at Environment while racing etc. Well I do, so I believe that's BS. Just in a thread forgot the name, talking about how much I hated Cape Ring it's the only track I truly hated, and I'm not a big fan of Willow Springs etc. The Layouts for both are good, but what's surronding them feels dead, and I've also been on the record of one course literally made me give up Gran Turismo 6 because of how dead it was that was, and that is Ascari Resort or something like that.

Lastly what can reviewers do..........not be an :censored:hat I've already seen reviewers botch reviews on purpose to either make a game seem better or worse.

Last edited:
To be the best the fun has to return. An engaging, involving, immersive, challenging, fun, driving and racing experience.

Saleswise, I don't think you'll ever see a GT game sell 15 million ever again. I think GT will be lucky to ever see 10 million again. Just my opinion of course.

Fix all of major complaints (Sounds, AI, Career Mode that not as good as GT4, duplicate cars, etc)
But if Standards are officially included (Not sure if updated to Semi Premium quality though)
It will overshadow everything GT7 does right ._. (Althrough with Semi Premium quality would overshadow much less)

Last edited:
To be the best the fun has to return. An engaging, involving, immersive, challenging, fun, driving and racing experience.

Saleswise, I don't think you'll ever see a GT game sell 15 million ever again. I think GT will be lucky to ever see 10 million again. Just my opinion of course.

You know what I just wrote a giant wall of text I'm taking my ball and going home.:(:P

No standards. Cars generated on a PS2 should not be on a PS4 game at all, the quality of them isn't nearly as good as cars from other PS4 racing games. Either update the existing standards to premium, or get rid of them.

Also, no more duplicate cars. Why should we have 48 Skylines and almost 30 Mazda Roadsters/MX5s/Miatas/Eunos? They should be replaced with better cars.

And this. Standing start. 43 cars. Watkins Glen. PS4. 2:20.

It's PCars..if you don't like it don't watch!

Last edited:
And this. Standing start. 43 cars. Watkins Glen. PS4. 2:20.

It's PCars..if you don't like it don't watch!

There are no words I have this game single handedly may renew my interest in purchasing a PS4 lol or at least work towards getting a decent PC.

No standards. Cars generated on a PS2 should not be on a PS4 game at all, the quality of them isn't nearly as good as cars from other PS4 racing games. Either update the existing standards to premium, or get rid of them.

Also, no more duplicate cars. Why should we have 48 Skylines and almost 30 Mazda Roadsters/MX5s/Miatas/Eunos? They should be replaced with better cars.

I'm alright IMO as long as they all (Standards) will be converted to Semi Premium like R390 or RUF
They should be back on releasing regional name on each car based on the game's regions, like Eunos in Japan, and so other, and S2000 (US) in USA, S2000 (EU) in Europe, and so on
There are many duplicates because ALL of the different regional cars were united in GT5-GT6
Also remove the only different year version, like (Efini) RX-7 type RZ has 92, 93, 95, 96 year ver. (+ (J) and non (J) which is annoying)
But keep in note cars like Celica and Lancer Evolution aren't duplicates IMO, because all of them in game are different generations each, with a few variation for Evo 6, 7, 8 (Name does not always equal duplicate), like, Corvettes...

I'm alright IMO as long as they all (Standards) will be converted to Semi Premium like R390 or RUF
They should be back on releasing regional name on each car based on the game's regions, like Eunos in Japan, and so other, and S2000 (US) in USA, S2000 (EU) in Europe, and so on
There are many duplicates because ALL of the different regional cars were united in GT5-GT6
Also remove the only different year version, like (Efini) RX-7 type RZ has 92, 93, 95, 96 year ver. (+ (J) and non (J) which is annoying)
But keep in note cars like Celica and Lancer Evolution aren't duplicates IMO, because all of them in game are different generations each, with a few variation for Evo 6, 7, 8 (Name does not always equal duplicate), like, Corvettes...

And that's exactly where a trim level selection feature will come in handy because it will clean up the lists significantly.

Makes sense to model 1 premium car as a base then account for the differences in versions and trims to have different cars

....Another thread on "how to make a better(sic) GT7".
Well, I guess I'll join in the fun...

My new idea that's been swirling around in my head:
Get someone other than PDI to make GT7. 👍 (No, not Obsidian. Their games are full of bugs.)
Ideally, amalgation of Sony Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, and Evolution, plus Guerilla could help out with bleeding edge graphics. Santa Monica does the controls, Naughty Dog does the MP and career progression, Evolution with features and car list.
PDI can do, uhm, I dunno, more Daiki Kaisho or something.

Above, however, won't happen so, realistically, I hope to see a dramatic cull in the number of cars. But follow that with an increased number of manufacturers. As is, GT simply are not representative of motoring world at large.
And last time I checked, there's imbalance towards race cars - 3:1 road car/race car. So fix that too - what good is WRC and NASCAR licence when you don't milk it properly.

And while you are at it, get WTCC license too. I'd imagine that'd make a few fan(boy)s happy.
There are already simple and effective ideas here in the forums regarding how to improve the "feel" of the race itself, so I'll leave it at that.

I really don't care if its THE BEST LOOKING THING EVA OMG. Because graphics don't make a good game.

And sound? Well, AES or not, smaller number of cars hopefully mean more consistent quality. As is, I don't think PDI is large enough to go through 1230+ cars in the game currently one by one checking out the sound effects.

....Nothing else pops in my head, so I'm "gone with the wind"...:sly:

....Another thread on "how to make a better(sic) GT7".
Well, I guess I'll join in the fun...

My new idea that's been swirling around in my head:
Get someone other than PDI to make GT7. 👍 (No, not Obsidian. Their games are full of bugs.)
Ideally, amalgation of Sony Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, and Evolution, plus Guerilla could help out with bleeding edge graphics. Santa Monica does the controls, Naughty Dog does the MP and career progression, Evolution with features and car list.
PDI can do, uhm, I dunno, more Daiki Kaisho or something.

Above, however, won't happen so, realistically, I hope to see a dramatic cull in the number of cars. But follow that with an increased number of manufacturers. As is, GT simply are not representative of motoring world at large.
And last time I checked, there's imbalance towards race cars - 3:1 road car/race car. So fix that too - what good is WRC and NASCAR licence when you don't milk it properly.

And while you are at it, get WTCC license too. I'd imagine that'd make a few fan(boy)s happy.
There are already simple and effective ideas here in the forums regarding how to improve the "feel" of the race itself, so I'll leave it at that.

I really don't care if its THE BEST LOOKING THING EVA OMG. Because graphics don't make a good game.

And sound? Well, AES or not, smaller number of cars hopefully mean more consistent quality. As is, I don't think PDI is large enough to go through 1230+ cars in the game currently one by one checking out the sound effects.

....Nothing else pops in my head, so I'm "gone with the wind"...:sly:

I know I know, but what can you do this is how it begins with every new game from a series lol.

At least until some type of concrete info comes along we will be doing this tango possibly up until after E3 lol.

And that's exactly where a trim level selection feature will come in handy because it will clean up the lists significantly.

Makes sense to model 1 premium car as a base then account for the differences in versions and trims to have different cars
But another player will complain about 'more and more menus'

Sound. Please fix. There's games 15 years older then GT6 with better sound.

Being Australian id like to see a better representation of our cars in the Game.

Current V8 Supercars

Classic Holdens. Especially Peter Brocks A9X Torana Race Car that dominated Mt Panorama in the 70's

Classic Fords Especially Allan Moffat's XY GTHO Phase 3.

Rant over.

1. A more stable online-experience without cars being mutually invisible, etc.

2. An AI that deserves the "I".

3. An updated car-list with no blatant omissions from any important manufacturer. There was a dramatic slow-down in output since the series has moved to PS3 and premium models, and it's understandable they couldn't keep up the output they showed with GT4 when the amount of work going into modelling multiplied, but I think they should remember this is a game about cars first and foremost. Gran Turismo used to have a car-list that was the envy of everyone playing a different game, and for the last couple of years pretty much all we get is fictional cars. Now GT-players look at other car games and wish they had these cars in GT. Just look at the distribution of model years for road cars in GT6 (concepts excluded)...

CarYearDistribution.JPG

Quite a drop since the GT4-days. In the meantime, the bulk of cars is 15 years old.

Of course there's other areas that should and will be improved, but in my view, this is a game about cars, and being able to drive them in a game that just works is on top of my list. Everything else just adds a little bit to it. But what good is a car game without the most recent and sought-after cars?

Last edited:
If they give us a course maker from release I'll be happy.

That is all.

Oh and, everything else that others mentioned.

Just give us ALL the content Kaz.

Also, I actually kinda want the UCD back!

For me, GT7 needs these things:

• Consistent quality in the car modelling, so GT7 needs to drop all the standards and duplicates.
  • Livery editor on a Forza scale.
  • Scrap the Arcade Mode for an Event Creator.
  • No more gimmicks like Course Maker, GPS Visualisers and VGT collaborations.
  • More real tracks.
  • Generally more consistent quality all round: Visuals, sound, physics, everything.

Imo GT6 is a clear example that PD wants to force players to play the game PD's way, which just seems like a bad approach.

For GT7 PD should try to make the game fun to as many people as possible.
-Things such as qualifying, standing starts, mechanical damage, fuel/tire wear, corner cutting/collision penalties should be available in all game modes, both online and offline. I don't mind PD setting the default options in a way that makes the game more accessible to casual players, but sim options should be available in all modes so that the game will be fun to hardcore players as well.
-PD can keep the classic GT career mode, by it would be nice if they included a freelance career mode as well, give players the option to have all career events unlocked from the start and make license tests optional. The classic GT career mode can be interesting for people who are new to racing games but for someone like me who has played previous GT games as well as a bunch of other racing games being forced to play career mode in a specific way is a huge turnoff. I already know how to drive and I know which cars I like, it makes no sense to me to be forced to play baby-step tutorials of stuff I already know or being forced to play events with cars I don't like in a specific order before being able to drive the cars I like.
-PD should make all cars & tracks available from the start in arcade mode. I know a lot of people who like racing games but are discouraged from buying GT6 because they have job & family and no time to grind career events to buy cars. It makes no sense to have 1200+ cars but only make 20 of them available as courtesy cars in arcade mode, arcade mode doesn't have payouts, courtesy cars cannot be customized, so it would be better to have all cars & tracks available from the start. That would benefit players more on the casual side who simply want to play some quick races on the weekend as well as people who want to test drive a car before buying it.
-PD should also make all cars available from the start in online mode as courtesy cars. There are people who don't like playing against AI and care only about playing online against human players, it makes no sense for those people to have to play offline career in order to unlock online mode and acquire cars. Obviously PD should include the option for host to block courtesy cars and limit car selection to career garage only.
-Basic options that are available in other racing games should be included in GT7 as well: adjustable AI difficulty, being able to save more than 3 setups for any car, friend invite, leaderboards for every track, decent online payouts, bonus credits for turning aids off/increasing difficulty, etc.

Last edited:
More GT-Rs

Better Artificial Intelligence, No Stardard Cars, Course Maker, Better Sounds, Better Car List (Too much Japanese Cars and duplicates), Classic Courses from old Gran Turismo Games, Livery Editor and Realistic Physics, that's all, if PD thinks it's too much, they can get help from Evolution Studios to work on AI and Sounds for them, Since Evolution Studios impressed Mercedes-Benz and BMW for making a better car sound recording and makes the most exagerated, agressive and hard A.I (Atleast DriveClub A.I recognizes you and will try to avoid you.), maybe they can help PD to finish converting all stardards to premium too.

All GT7 needs is a career mode as good as/better than Gran Turismo 4's. Then I will be satisfied.

Nahhhhhhhhhhh.......I don't believe you only on the simple fact I knew a few people who'd say something like that they turned around and complained.

If I do believe you it's only because you must have played GT the most. I say that cause threads like this, and countless other threads I've seen people ask for more than just a career mode upgrade.

What would it take to make GT7 great??? TBH, not much. Finish the track editor and the following.
  • improved AI
  • SOUND (yes, it's all caps)
  • weather engine from Driveclub (best I've seen in a game; just spend some money PD and put it in GT7)
  • car variety. This is a HUGE issue with GT. GT6's car line up is very dated and bland compared to pretty much every other racing game out now. I mean let's be real, I'm not knocking the Sambabus, but dang, I wouldn't exactly miss it if it were replaced by an F12, Agera R, or even a old school E30 M3. And the Moon Rover thing???? Yeah. PD, look at other race games' car line ups. You have some good cars, but your missing out on what a MAJORITY of car enthusiasts would want.
  • update the tracks for PS4 (obviously)
  • a basic livery editor (it doesn't even have to be that serious TBH)
  • ability to change wheel widths. This seems like a very simple change that could go a long way.
  • custom hoods.
GT6 physics are really good and track count is good. Just add a few more, El Capitan, Seattle, Road Atlanta, etc., and ALL the races from GT4.

Actually, just make GT4 again with GT6's physics, features, tracks, online capabilities, and all of the stuff mentioned above in it.

Nahhhhhhhhhhh.......I don't believe you only on the simple fact I knew a few people who'd say something like that they turned around and complained.

If I do believe you it's only because you must have played GT the most. I say that cause threads like this, and countless other threads I've seen people ask for more than just a career mode upgrade.
Well, I have played GT more than any other game and GT6's career mode was a disappointment, worse than 5's even. GT4 got it perfect, best in the series, and they can't seem to match it. I don't really care about sounds, tracks, cars etc. although it would be nice to have them but a revamped career mode that takes months if not years to complete is a must. GT6's career can be done in a matter of days, including the endurance races.

Add all race types and customization options found in Need for Speed Underground 2, along with city, mountainous, gymkhana, and freeway locations for free roam and custom track creations with cutting edge simulation physics, after market parts (including tinted windows and underglows), and improved engine/vehicle sounds and you got yourself a winner.

However, there is likely NO WAY that you could call this game GT7... So... yeah...

Just give me a livery editor, better sound, customizable rims/wheels, some docks/parking garage/industrial locations for free roam, drift, & gymkhana, a kaido (mountain side) track for touge & drift, better customization options (for the hella flush and street racing crowd), more rally including Rally Crosse tracks, point to point courses, drag strips, more city tracks with bridges, highways, and tunnels, and our track editor, and GT will reign supreme (imo).

Also, a custom video/replay editor that allows you to choose camera angles, zoom, panning, and movement type would go a long way.

Last edited:
Back