Total number of attainable paint chips

United States
Adrian, Mich.
cargorat323
CargoRatt
As I have just started the daunting task of collecting every paint chip in the game, my question is this: Does anyone have a total for the number of attainable paint chips in the game. This DOES NOT include the anniversary colors or chips won in the Seasonals, just paint obtained from buying the cars within the game. Thanks in advance for any help. :cheers:

As I have just started the daunting task of collecting every paint chip in the game, my question is this: Does anyone have a total for the number of attainable paint chips in the game. This DOES NOT include the anniversary colors or chips won in the Seasonals, just paint obtained from buying the cars within the game. Thanks in advance for any help. :cheers:
That is a daunting task indeed, and I have no clue about the answer. I'm at about 900, which is not even close. But the process of scrolling through the cumbersome paint list to see if I already have the chip when buying new cars is no fun. PD needs to implement a better paint search option, or at least flag what you already own.

I have one question though, about the paint chips. Let's say, you buy a Toyota Soarer 430SCV, a Lexus SC430 (US) and a Lexus SC430 (EU). All of the three cars have the exact same paint chips, if I'm not mistaken. But are they considered separate by the game? If so, then you would have 3x the amount of paint chips but only 1x the variation.

I have one question though, about the paint chips. Let's say, you buy a Toyota Soarer 430SCV, a Lexus SC430 (US) and a Lexus SC430 (EU). All of the three cars have the exact same paint chips, if I'm not mistaken. But are they considered separate by the game? If so, then you would have 3x the amount of paint chips but only 1x the variation.

From what I've seen so far, those chips in that situation will only count as one. That's the first thing I started watching when I started out on this venture.

From what I've seen so far, those chips in that situation will only count as one. That's the first thing I started watching when I started out on this venture.
Maybw that's why there's only one WR Blue Mica in my collection but i'm pretty sure i bought 3 Imprezas and 1 BRZ bearing the same color. That wasn't the case in GT5, back then you could have up to 4 separate WR Blue Mica paint chips (which unsurprisingly have no difference from each other at all). Crazy.

I think PD finally got the paint chips right with GT6.

Maybw that's why there's only one WR Blue Mica in my collection but i'm pretty sure i bought 3 Imprezas and 1 BRZ bearing the same color. That wasn't the case in GT5, back then you could have up to 4 separate WR Blue Mica paint chips (which unsurprisingly have no difference from each other at all). Crazy.

I think PD finally got the paint chips right with GT6.

Yea, so long as the paint chip comes from the same make of car, you will only receive 1 of that chip. It is, for example, possible to have 2 or more "whites" if they are obtained from two different makes of cars. Hypothetical example: "White" from Ford and "White" from Chevy will show up as two different whites. Like I said before though, a "white" from say Ford will only show up as one no matter which Ford it came from. These are at least my observations so far. I've been tracking things like that closely on my little venture here. :lol: So far I'm up to 1,382 different paint chips, I'm sure I have a ways to go though. That's why I'm asking for that "magic" number to see just how far I have to go.

Yea, so long as the paint chip comes from the same make of car, you will only receive 1 of that chip. It is, for example, possible to have 2 or more "whites" if they are obtained from two different makes of cars. Hypothetical example: "White" from Ford and "White" from Chevy will show up as two different whites. Like I said before though, a "white" from say Ford will only show up as one no matter which Ford it came from. These are at least my observations so far. I've been tracking things like that closely on my little venture here. :lol: So far I'm up to 1,382 different paint chips, I'm sure I have a ways to go though. That's why I'm asking for that "magic" number to see just how far I have to go.

Yeah that I can understand, car makes have their own version of "Black" or "White" or "Red" and other similar colors, so they're shown separately. Strange how the paint seletion doesn't indicate from which car make the paint chip came from. I'm sure including that feature isn't all that hard. :dunce:

Yeah that I can understand, car makes have their own version of "Black" or "White" or "Red" and other similar colors, so they're shown separately. Strange how the paint seletion doesn't indicate from which car make the paint chip came from. I'm sure including that feature isn't all that hard. :dunce:

Yea, I damn sure wish they would do something like that. Or even put a check mark by the color indicating you already have that chip. The sorting order could be a bit better also, like sort by make. I believe GT5 had that feature so I don't see why they didn't include it in GT6. Damn sure would make my job a lot easier. :lol: Then again though, there probably isn't too many crazy ass people like me that just starts randomly collecting paint chips just for the hell of it. :lol: Damn us OCD people. :crazy: :lol:

Well, I've just about made it through the North American region so far, with just Chevy yet to go. For lack of a better way of doing this in my quest to acquire every attainable paint chip, I'm just going through and buying every car in every color. :crazy: Beings I already have at least one of every car in the game, I'm sure I'm buying duplicates in some cases, but without a check-mark system such as is in place for the cars, I really see no other way to do this. So for now, its just buy and sell, till I have every paint chip attainable. So far, I have 1,580 chips. I am sure I am nowhere close to the total number of chips, so I still ask if anyone knows how many chips there really is, it would be appreciated to know that number. (Anniversary and Seasonal chips not included in this number) Thanks to anyone who has this information. :cheers:

There is approximately
9000.jpg

Sorry I had to... But in all honesty I got 1300 different ones and it's not even done ;3; So many unique colors for different cars... Then there's the DLC ones (from 15th anniv edition) and then there may be "hacked" paint chips like below *taken from gt5*
High Speed Ring.jpg
But as LEGIT paint chips go, I'd say alot xD

Last edited:
Sarcasm Detected! Response activated!
You're welcome ^^ I try my best, in an approximate estimate though I'd have to say around 2500-3000, since there's ~1000 cars, minus the racing cars..
There's some cars with 5-15 diff colors and some with only 1 or 2, THEN, there's the troll colors, which don't give you chips.. so yeah there's no definite number YET, but that's my guess

Ok, well, so far you haven't told me anything that I couldn't figure out myself. The point of this thread is to call out to someone that maybe has collected all the chips and has a definite number as per my parameters: less anniversary chips and chips won in the Seasonals. To once again put it plainly, I'm only looking for the number of unique chips that can be obtained from buying the cars from the dealerships like I have started doing myself. I could come up with the number myself I suppose by counting them all, but I just thought that perhaps someone else had already done this and had the number readily available. So yes, there is a definite number for what I am asking. Thanks and have a nice day/night. :)

I'm up to 2544 now. That accounts for all paints with a unique name from every manufacture (i.e. one "Brilliant Black" from Mazda) and every seasonal event paint awarded up to this point, and a few duplicates names from the same manufacturer (i.e. two "Rosso" paints from Ferrari because I bought the passo corto after the Dino and it has a name--and color, it appears to be identical--in common). I don't have the 15th Anniversary paints.

Toyota does have paints that are shared with Lexus, TOM'S and TRD, and they do get their own slot in the list. The same goes for the Mine's BNR34 GT-Rs and their Nissan counterparts.

I don't know how many Polyphony believes there to be and I'm confident I don't have them all (due to my one-per-manufacturer rule of thumb), but I hope this is closer to what you're looking for. ;)

I'm up to 2544 now. That accounts for all paints with a unique name from every manufacture (i.e. one "Brilliant Black" from Mazda) and every seasonal event paint awarded up to this point, and a few duplicates names from the same manufacturer (i.e. two "Rosso" paints from Ferrari because I bought the passo corto after the Dino and it has a name--and color, it appears to be identical--in common). I don't have the 15th Anniversary paints.

Toyota does have paints that are shared with Lexus, TOM'S and TRD, and they do get their own slot in the list. The same goes for the Mine's BNR34 GT-Rs and their Nissan counterparts.

I don't know how many Polyphony believes there to be and I'm confident I don't have them all (due to my one-per-manufacturer rule of thumb), but I hope this is closer to what you're looking for. ;)

Thanks 👍, and yes, that is exactly what I am looking for. I'm at 1734 atm so it looks like I still have a ways to go. Thanks for sharing the information. :cheers:

Thanks 👍, and yes, that is exactly what I am looking for. I'm at 1734 atm so it looks like I still have a ways to go. Thanks for sharing the information. :cheers:
Not at all. I imagine (viz: "hope") you're keeping track somehow, and would be interested how your in-game list compares to mine--as in the order in which paint colors are displayed--to see if my current efforts to provide a comprehensive guide for colors and where they originate are worthwhile (8 different "Black" paints scattered throughout is annoying), or if the order differs on a console-by-console basis.

Not at all. I imagine (viz: "hope") you're keeping track somehow, and would be interested how your in-game list compares to mine--as in the order in which paint colors are displayed--to see if my current efforts to provide a comprehensive guide for colors and where they originate are worthwhile (8 different "Black" paints scattered throughout is annoying), or if the order differs on a console-by-console basis.

Yes, I am keeping track and will share my findings when funished. Credits are kinda low right now, 30 mil, so its off to grind some more. Thanks again. :cheers:

CargoRatt it would be nice to know which cars come with paint chips. There is no way of knowing when you buy a car if it comes with a chip or not. It would be a HUGE project, but worthwhile. It's a real bummer when you buy a car in a cool color, and not get the paint chip.

CargoRatt it would be nice to know which cars come with paint chips. There is no way of knowing when you buy a car if it comes with a chip or not. It would be a HUGE project, but worthwhile. It's a real bummer when you buy a car in a cool color, and not get the paint chip.

Please see this post and the attachment Looking for complete list of paint chips courtesy of @con360

Oh my!!..And the Lexus LFA has how many paint chips?...:lol:. Oh crap and they have two models in this iteration of GT don't they!..:nervous: Grinding will definitely be required..:banghead:

Rit
Oh my!!..And the Lexus LFA has how many paint chips?...:lol:. Oh crap and they have two models in this iteration of GT don't they!..:nervous: Grinding will definitely be required..:banghead:

The Lexus LFA Nurburg Package only comes in 4 different colors which are duplicates of what the regular LFA (30 chips @ $375,000 a pop) gives out so there is no need to buy the Nurburg Edition at all. I just went through the Lexus dealership today and am currently going through Nissan now. :crazy:

I just went through the Lexus dealership today and am currently going through Nissan now. :crazy:
Sounds familiar. :P

I believe Toyota has the most chips on offer from a single dealership, Nissan's comparatively tame thanks to color-sharing. LFA wasn't all bad. Aston Martin One-77 chip coveting (let's be honest, it's not really collecting at this point) costs like twice as much with a third of the yield.

Just a little update on my quest here. Currently working on the last region, BMW dealership. I currently have 2,211 paint chips, still a ways to go. :crazy:

5 "unique" (in that they occupy their own position on the list) Super White IIs available from the Toyota dealership alone. There's no discernable difference between any of them, so what gives? :lol:
Just a little update on my quest here. Currently working on the last region, BMW dealership. I currently have 2,211 paint chips, still a ways to go. :crazy:
Are you keeping track of them in any way or simply buying all of the cars to get the paints? If the former is the case, I'd be curious how and if there was any way to pool efforts*.

*A little project of mine, though not so little given the limited time I have at my disposal.

5 "unique" (in that they occupy their own position on the list) Super White IIs available from the Toyota dealership alone. There's no discernable difference between any of them, so what gives? :lol:

Are you keeping track of them in any way or simply buying all of the cars to get the paints? If the former is the case, I'd be curious how and if there was any way to pool efforts*.

*A little project of mine, though not so little given the limited time I have at my disposal.

I have 2/3 of those Super White II's, and the distinction isn't entirely obvious when you look at them, but it's there.

Some are more "creamy" for example...

Not a big deal I suppose.

I have 2/3 of those Super White II's, and the distinction isn't entirely obvious when you look at them, but it's there.

Some are more "creamy" for example...

Not a big deal I suppose.
I could be confusing them with another batch of multiples (same name chips from the same manufacturer on models of the same period--as opposed to a 'White' from a 1967 Toyota and a 'White' from a 1997 Toyota, for example), but I could have sworn the difference was minimal.

Ok, I have just completed my quest. I have bought every car in the game in every color. :crazy: Along with my Anniversary paints, I have ended up with a grand total of 2,773 paint chips. I seem to be way off a total of 2,886 chips which was a total that another member gave me. The only way I can see that as happening is that I never do the drift seasonals so that may lead to the discrepancy. Still though, that seems to be a big difference just from not doing the drift events. At any rate, task completed.

PS. I didn't write anything down or keep any type of records, just went through and bought every car in every color, including the Vision GT cars.

EDIT: Just looked and there was only 27 drift events so yea, I should only be 27 chips short of the total of 2,886 chips. I'm somehow missing a little over 100 chips. :confused:

Last edited:
Ok, I have just completed my quest. I have bought every car in the game in every color. :crazy: Along with my Anniversary paints, I have ended up with a grand total of 2,773 paint chips. I seem to be way off a total of 2,886 chips which was a total that another member gave me. The only way I can see that as happening is that I never do the drift seasonals so that may lead to the discrepancy. Still though, that seems to be a big difference just from not doing the drift events. At any rate, task completed.

PS. I didn't write anything down or keep any type of records, just went through and bought every car in every color, including the Vision GT cars.
Bummer you didn't keep track, but believe me, I get it. That's a 🤬-load of colors to invest additional time in. Clearly the stipulation that only one color/name from each dealership be purchased has slimmed my original gamesave's count, but I'm not sure how to account for the 113-shy scenario you've encountered--I know you do the Super Lap seasonals anyway and are rewarded for them. As an aside, how many colors are provided in the 15AE DLC?

Back