Why no filming by fans?

• Thread starter SVPSkins
  • 15 comments
United Kingdom
Wilmslow, Cheshire
SVPSkins
Hiya guys

I'd like to know why F1 ban fans from film races track side? i feel its egotistical and ignorant for F1 to do this

Egotistical and ignorant? F1? In the same sentence? No way.

Flip side is it forces those people who are there at the event to ACTUALLY WATCH THE EVENT. Crazy, I know.

I think filming with professional grade TV cameras is banned. Some guy with a handheld in the grandstand is probably OK, as long as it doesnt go to YouTube.

I think filming with professional grade TV cameras is banned. Some guy with a handheld in the grandstand is probably OK, as long as it doesnt go to YouTube.

Well then, I sense a lot of people are going to get some messages from FOM.

I don't even get why. Is this another one of their measures to "Protect" the F1 name?

It's because of the greedy media corporations and the racing series itself that believe that they should be the sole broadcasters of the event.

Because:
Bernie-Ecclestone_2850998.jpg

It's because you need media accreditation to film or photograph with professional gear.

I'm not so sure it's this. I've never seen mention of the standard of gear being the limiting factor... just what you do with the media afterwards.

Pretty much every ticket I've ever bought limits the use of any type of recording equipment to personal, non-commercial use. What media creds get you is access to the other side of crash fences for starters, and all those other wonderful areas off-limits to Joe Public. Most tickets also go on to claim copyright over anything you take/shoot/record.

I've heard about different rules in the U.S. But pretty much every UK ticket stub, including an F1 ticket and F1 test session ticket that I've kept, says the same thing.

Fan vids sometimes offer really great perspective. Jump to 6:10.

Based on this video alone, they probably don't want you to hear how awesome they once sounded.

That's probably intended to prevent people from getting media accreditation when they're not members of the media.

Or that you might be woefully honest about how wack and weird F1 really is.

Or that you might be woefully honest about how wack and weird F1 really is.

They might as well send cease and desist letters to any forum visited by F1 fans who attended in person since they don't need the video to do that.

If that's true, then that's the most terrible form of image control I've seen and its not like its working judging from all the negative comments.

Back