OMG WIND NOISE

• Thread starter Voodoovaj
  • 45 comments
Canada
London, Ontario
voodoovaj
I DON"T KNOW ABOUT YOU GUYS, BUT I CAN'T HEAR ANYTHING OVER THE SOUND OF THE WIND NOISE THAT WAS ADDED IN 1.19

I AM YELLING BECAUSE I AM DEAF FROM ALL THE WIND NOISE FROM DRIVING THE PEUGEOT VGT. I HOPE THIS ISN'T ON ALL CARS.

But seriously, I had to quit after I got gold because I couldn't take the noise anymore. Who approves of this stuff? Who thought it was a good idea to make the wind noise so loud that you can't hear any of the other sounds the car is making? I can't hear the tires or the gear changes until I am right on top of the corner.

This is ridiculous.

I haven't played beyond the VGT event. Has anyone checked the other cars?

I haven't played beyond the VGT event. Has anyone checked the other cars?
Seems unique to the car. It clearly has a great deal of drag at speed (its power should yield higher figures, if you just look at the specs) and that's probably why the noise is so prominent.

Never had this problem, nor do I think it was added.

Well SOMETHING is negating the sound of the tires and gear shift all of a sudden (on this car).

Seems unique to the car. It clearly has a great deal of drag at speed (its power should yield higher figures, if you just look at the specs) and that's probably why the noise is so prominent.

Thank god. It's crazy. It's undriveable IMHO. There's no joy in hearing nothing but buffeting.

Pay attention on the entry to turn one. You can see the revs rise as the gear changes occur, but you can't hear anything. Not the best recording, granted, but obviously not "False"

Might be my system, but WOW is that car annoying to drive.

Last edited:
Well SOMETHING is negating the sound of the tires and gear shift all of a sudden (on this car).

Thank god. It's crazy. It's undriveable IMHO. There's no joy in hearing nothing but buffeting.
Whilst doing the TT I wondered if the Peugeot VGT was a hybrid as I thought it was the engine noise dropping out of range. But that doesn't account for tire noise dropping too.

Exciting on one hand but impossible to judge gears on the other:indiff:

It's not false at all, it was the first thing that i noticed while driving the car, and it's not only when braking(like stated on the update).

But i have to say, it was not that bad for me, i didn't liked it either, but i think it wasn't that loud.

Half arsed complaint if you can't even be bothered to check other cars yourself, and there's already other threads for discussing the VGT and the update.

I just have, and I can confirm the Alpine VGT now has the same effect.
Thank you. I hope that it'll be fixed soon because the Peugeot VGT was pretty fun to drive but that lack of sound under braking is pretty annoying and a bit disturbing.

I never actually noticed it, and I was actively listening for it because of the patch notes. Not until the replay, anyway...

What dynamic range setting are you all using? Mine's set to "small theatre".

I heard the Peugeut's and the Alpine's engine noise very clearly...
Even under braking, and even under top speed.
My game never freezes, i get never disconnected, my GT6 is different i think...

edit: oh yes and i never had a problem with any of the updates installing

I tried all three dynamic range settings and they're all pretty much the same as far as the "distinction" of the wind noise goes.

However, the living room mix is so crowded, I don't know how anyone can tolerate it. Having sampled the large theatre setting again, I've decided to roll with that for a while (until I accidentally deafen myself again, no doubt; music and menu sound at 120, engine sounds at 65). :dopey:

The wind noise is evidently far too loud, since it exhibits clipping when "air braking" - so the volume boost is too aggressive. PD is likely to patch it eventually.

Anyway, there probably isn't much to be done to fix it for those suffering it at this stage. I would try headphones, though, it's easier to pick out individual sounds, especially quieter ones under louder ones. Just don't use the living room setting if you do. :ill:

If two of you (and possibly more) can hear the engine under braking, then this is definitely a bug that some of us are experiencing.

If two of you (and possibly more) can hear the engine under braking, then this is definitely a bug that some of us are experiencing.
I'm convinced it's related to listening environment.

The volume boost isn't really a bug, it's just badly balanced. It should affect everyone the same in the same situation, but what you use to listen to the game, and where you do it, will determine how "catastrophic" the resultant masking actually is.

I'm convinced it's related to listening environment.

The volume boost isn't really a bug, it's just badly balanced. It should affect everyone the same in the same situation, but what you use to listen to the game, and where you do it, will determine how "catastrophic" the resultant masking actually is.
It isn't, because why would they put an option in the game if we're forced to use another option? That's definitely a bug, it shouldn't do that in whatever mode we're in.

I've tested all three "Output Environments" and they all sound the same to me, the engine audio is inaudible whilst the aero brake is deployed. To me is sounds like a case of bad audio compression, but what is causing with some people and not others is a mystery.

I'll get a direct audio feed for those who can't hear it, just to prove that those that can aren't crazy!

It isn't, because why would they put an option in the game if we're forced to use another option? That's definitely a bug, it shouldn't do that in whatever mode we're in.
I'm talking about audio hardware and background noise. :)

I've tested all three "Output Environments" and they all sound the same to me, the engine audio is inaudible whilst the aero brake is deployed. To me is sounds like a case of bad audio compression, but what is causing with some people and not others is a mystery.

I'll get a direct audio feed for those who can't hear it, just to prove that those that can aren't crazy!
It's probably listening environment. Have you tried one of the open compressor settings and headphones?

EDIT: the masking effect is real; nobody's crazy here. ;)

I'm talking about audio hardware and background noise. :)

It's probably listening environment. Have you tried one of the open compressor settings and headphones?

EDIT: the masking effect is real; nobody's crazy here. ;)

What do you mean by that? Bear in mind it's 11:40 PM and my brain's starting to switch off! :crazy:

like in the video posted above by @Voodoovaj? when the wind noise is masking the engine sound under braking and it basically makes it sound like the engine cut off?

👍 Basically yeah, but in my case less extreme, I've got a direct audio feed so analysis would be easier.

Try small theatre and headphones, I meant. :)

On your recording, I can't hear the engine through my laptop speakers with my headphones on (to emulate the effect of background noise, muffling the sound down towards the effective "noise floor"), but I can through the headphones.

There is the issue that the off-throttle AES exhaust sounds are far too quiet ever since they removed the separate off-throttle tone the Subaru VGT introduced. So this air brake sound may have been balanced against a different (more complete) version of AES, or the ordinary sampled cars instead. Either way, PD will need to patch it.

Back