Lunar mission 1 is impossible

Wales
Wales
CR2312
I've been trying to complete the first lunar mission and I cannot get better than a 3:34:5XX. I've watched a few videos on YouTube and in all of them the rover gets up to 17mph whilst I struggle to get up to 15mph! Are there any settings I'm missing out here? Any help will be massively appreciated.

I've been trying to complete the first lunar mission and I cannot get better than a 3:34:5XX. I've watched a few videos on YouTube and in all of them the rover gets up to 17mph whilst I struggle to get up to 15mph! Are there any settings I'm missing out here? Any help will be massively appreciated.
What aids are you using? That might make a difference, also, I don't know if automatic vs manual would make up that speed difference.

What aids are you using? That might make a difference, also, I don't know if automatic vs manual would make up that speed difference.
I don't even get an option to change any TC or to manual. I just can't seem to find any extra speed.

Find a better route to take.
I'm taking the exact same route as the ones in the videos on YouTube that are getting gold by considerable margin but my actual speed isn't the same as theirs. They're getting up to 17mph whilst I can't.

I apologize, I have not done it yet, so I didn't realize the options were not there.
No problem. If you get any luck, let me know

Last edited by a moderator:
If you absolutely must, keep track of the route you're taking and where the disqualification-inducing outcrops of boulders are.

Don't fear the jumps so long as you know what's on the other side, just tap the brake as the rear of the rover is about to leave the top of the hill so that the nose dips and you don't end-over backwards.

If you should end up bass ackwards, don't try to turn around but instead go in reverse and look to the rear, while observing the fact that your steering will be reversed--it's got 4-wheel steering, so it's not like driving a forklift in reverse--it even seems to have better acceleration whilst going backwards.
Lunar mission 1 is impossible
My two accounts at 100% completion would beg to differ.

-I did not beat this with my DS3 controller until I switched to trigger throttle/brake.

-The whole challenge is about keeping your speed! Keep a really close eye on your speed, and do not make any sudden turns. Try to use maybe 30% deflection or less on the stick. Turns usually begin a looong time before you get to the hills. Going over hills will kill your time and speed.

-It does take a few tries, at least it did for me. I didn't follow any videos- I just went in a zigzag fashion around all the hills, like a slalom course, keeping the "course line" in the middle of my HUD. I forget whether I went over or around the big hill at the bottom.

It may not make @ChrisRowlands feel any better, but Mission 1 has become much harder with updates. The first time I did it back at launch I literally did it first time, but more recently I did it to record some videos and it took an alarming number of retries.

The only advice I can give is stay low. Avoid hills as you lose speed up them and risk rolling it jumping.

It may not make @ChrisRowlands feel any better, but Mission 1 has become much harder with updates. The first time I did it back at launch I literally did it first time, but more recently I did it to record some videos and it took an alarming number of retries.

The only advice I can give is stay low. Avoid hills as you lose speed up them and risk rolling it jumping.

How has it gotten more difficult? It was one of my favorite features at the beginning and I beat 1 and 2 like 10 times a piece. but I haven't really done it since Early 2014...

Took quite a few hours but I finally managed gold in all three. Not far from my first platinum now! Thanks for the tips guys.
That downhill run in the 2nd one is so much fun. :D I was really disappointed when the 3rd one was a coffee break.

This might be the least helpful advice, but try listening to custom BGM that has an upbeat track. Should keep you concentrate on the road better. (I listen to Eurobeat during moon missions :lol:)
I did that on GTAcademy. :lol: I call it "Sports car music" :lol: I don't know about you I remember playing old games like Need for Speed II and III and Sports car GT in the late 90s when techno was popular and I was very young. And I recently been revisiting that thanks the youtube comment section sensation of "Song name?" "Darude-Sandstorm." And I quickly began to re-imagine it as racing music. :P So now I play techno when I drive. Very nostalgic at first. But once you get used to it you realize how well of a pair they make!

@silverman_GT Iedited my post after you liked it. Check back to see if you still "like" it. :D

Last edited:
I did that on GTAcademy. :lol: I call it "Sports car music" :lol: I don't know about you I remember playing old games like Need for Speed II and III and Sports car GT in the late 90s when techno was popular and I was very young. And I recently been revisiting that thanks the youtube comment section sensation of "Song name?" "Darude-Sandstorm." And I quickly began to re-imagine it as racing music. :P So now I play techno when I drive. Very nostalgic at first. But once you get used to it you realize how well of a pair they make!

@silverman_GT Iedited my post after you liked it. Check back to see if you still "like" it. :D
Unliked and re-liked :lol:

I love the techno in old NFS games! They will always be a part of my childhood :D

How has it gotten more difficult?
I can't precisely answer that. I imagine that tiny physics tweaks have affected it, but it is much harder to make the gold time even on a clean run. I think I'm only about a second under it on my last attempt.

I just gave the Lunar Mission # 1 a re-try, and I'm in agreement with @Famine -- the Mission is harder than before.

I had previously recorded a Gold attempt (over a year ago) with a time of 3:26.185 (and I kept the Ghost).

I just loaded this ghost lap and gave chase, and I can't come anywhere near catching my own ghost!:eek:

My old ghost spends quite a bit of time traveling at 16mph (I watched the replay), while my current lunar rover spends most of its time maxed out at 15mph.

Giving up this 1 mile an hour makes the Mission quite tough now.:irked:

After 5 attempts, the best I could do was a Gold time of 3:29.031 which is nearly three seconds off my earlier Gold ghost.

PD has certainly changed something with one or more of the updates. This has made this Mission quite a bit tougher.

Good luck to anyone still trying this!:cheers:
GTsail

I would guess that the silly 1.00 standard rear toe value also applies here as it does with all other Licence/Mission/Coffee Break/Goodwood complimentary cars.

They are all slightly slower/harder since update 1.09 :indiff:

There are a few missions like this. I finished a few races on gold early on.

I'm a better driver now. I cant do the same race any more. We all like the updated physics but its obvious there are intended consequences.

I suspect it became harder since 1.17 (Lexus & Alpine VGT update), because there is a mention of undocumented change of crash phyiscs in that update.

💡

couldn't do it with the ds3 so bought a friend's old dfgt (he had upgraded to g27) for 10$ made a world of difference 1st try, just allowed me to be smoother on both throttle and steering

PD mucking up the default suspension values has had a fair knock on in all events that don't allow you to retweak them to something sensible.

Hardly impossible. Did this just now with one hand on the wheel.

image.jpeg

I just retried these and was able to complete 1 and 2 with Gold. But number 3, knocking down the cones in 1:15 was not working for me. I was only able to get bronze, and that took a number of tries.

Back