G25 Drifting?

• Thread starter danodude
  • 13 comments
Australia
Australia
proloser2
Hey all! Recently got a G25 and have been trying out my very poor drifting skills in GT6.

My problem is that all the car's steering wheels seem to only turn approximately 90 degrees in either direction. Coming from Assetto Corsa where the cars support the full steering degree that my G25 has makes it a bit awkward to drift and drive.

I've tried pushing the two middle red buttons and the lowest of the four black buttons (in a diamond shape) to use the full steering rotation, but the virtual car steering will not rotate past 90 degrees.

I'm wondering if I'm missing anything in the setup process? Any help would be awesome! :)

The animations are not 1:1 with reality. Even though the wheel is turning 900 degrees, & the in-game car is turning 900 degrees, the animations don't reflect that fact.

That's the thing though, the actual wheels on the car reach full lock before my actual steering wheel has done at least 1 full turn.

If you use a wheel, you are better off using bumper cam.

It is very distracting in cockpit with that steering wheel. Also less framerate in cockpit view.

If you really really need to use cockpit view. you can go into the settings and select Narrow view and it wil make your FOV a bit mroe realistic and hide the steering wheel more.

As far as drifting with a wheel! I find it impossibru!

Drifting with a wheel takes a long time to learn. I have a friend who drifts with a wheel and I asked him how long it took him to learn - his answer: four to five hours a day of practise for three years!

Unsurprisingly I haven't learnt how to drift!

If you use a wheel, you are better off using bumper cam.

It is very distracting in cockpit with that steering wheel. Also less framerate in cockpit view.

If you really really need to use cockpit view. you can go into the settings and select Narrow view and it wil make your FOV a bit mroe realistic and hide the steering wheel more.

Thanks, maybe it is just me getting confused by the steering wheel. It definitely doesn't feel as natural as AC though... something feels wrong and I can't put my finger on it.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/g27-g25-dfgt-undocumented-wheel-lock-settings-guide.286646/

This is one of the threads from the sim racing hardware section, that tells you how to change degrees of lock for your wheel.
So this may help.

As far as drifting with a wheel! I find it impossibru!

Thanks, I already know this :)

Drifting with a wheel takes a long time to learn. I have a friend who drifts with a wheel and I asked him how long it took him to learn - his answer: four to five hours a day of practise for three years!

Unsurprisingly I haven't learnt how to drift!

Well on Assetto Corsa (apparently one of the most *real* sims - not trying to start a flame war!) I can drift... not like a pro but I can string some corners together with no assists on + full manual w/ clutch + 900 degree steering. Not that hard really - took me about a month. I can see how it'd take years if you wanted to get REALLY pro. :)

Guys I think the best way I can describe the feeling is: the steering on my car in game feels like it reaches full lock before my physical wheel has turned more than 180 degrees in either direction.

I.E, in Assetto Corsa, I can crank the wheel one whole rotation to the left or right (360 degrees) and then some more and my car's steering will adjust (I'm not talking about the virtual steering wheel animation, I mean the actual wheels on the car) 1:1 with my wheel (like a real car).

Doesn't feel like it's doing this in GT6 :(

I had the hardest time drifting when GT6 came out. The coffee breaks were impossible. Then I learned to switch my G27 to 200°, and I began reaching gold in my first or second pass. Easy.

But if I forget to switch it back to 900°, then I can't do circuit racing.

I've never bothered to verify whether I get the full 900° rotation in GT6, but I have no reason to believe I'm not.

Yeah, that helped, also swapping the view to hood/roof cam lowered the placebo effect caused by the virtual steering wheel, I could judge the car's slide easier :P

Well i have the G27 and my wheel works fine with the game i often turn the rotation down for racing and back up for drifting but the only cars that limit the rotation are the cars which would only rotate so far in real life ie the 97T and the FGT.

Back to the drifting i found it pretty impossible to drift at the start but i learned by turning the rotation to the second shortest one 500 something degrees with the BNR34 with some Comfort tyres and it drifts amazingly without any setups needed

JAMP0T1

Well i have the G27 and my wheel works fine with the game i often turn the rotation down for racing and back up for drifting but the only cars that limit the rotation are the cars which would only rotate so far in real life ie the 97T and the FGT.

Back to the drifting i found it pretty impossible to drift at the start but i learned by turning the rotation to the second shortest one 500 something degrees with the BNR34 with some Comfort tyres and it drifts amazingly without any setups needed

JAMP0T1

I'm drifting with the full 900 degrees now, although I can't get over 12k points per lap. Still, its super fun holding a drift and stringing a few together ;)

Back