Can you help me diagnose a problem?

• Thread starter Draggon
  • 17 comments
United States
United States
G_ASHER
I've had GT6 since it launched and have played virtually every day with few problems. Updates have been just fine. As soon as last week's update was in I began to have trouble. The game freezes: I finish a race and the results don't show up, nor does the menu at the bottom of the screen. The controller stops working and I have to quit the game using the XMB. Its random, I could not get more than 3 or 4 races in a row on Thursday/Friday, while Sat/Sun I had no problems at all. Some seasonals don't even finish loading while others are just fine. Sound is choppy and not just on the Tomahawks. :lol:

I started a new account last week and the problems are present there too.

Soooo..... any ideas? How can I tell what is the issue? I'd rather not buy a new disc if I'm going to have the same troubles, but of course don't want go through reinstalling the game if its the disc. Or could it be my PS3? I'm not used to this type of stuff, I was still on the PS2 until a year and a half ago. I've been searching but not sure exactly what I'm looking for. Any help or ideas is most certainly appreciated!

Sounds like it could sevveral things.
Visually check the disk if it's dirty it will have problems, even if it looks clean as long as you see no damage just polish the disk with a good quality micro fiber cloth like what you get when you buy new glasses.
If that doesn't help. disconnect from the internet and play offline content only see if that helps if yes then 1.20 update didn't take correctly and you will need to delete the game data and re-download all of it a 30 meg connection it will take about 2 1/2 hours to download and install everything and another ~30 min to update all your car icons again.

Sooooo, my problems happen online and offline, and are getting worse. After cleaning/polishing the disc I got several hours of use last night online and offline with the internet disabled. Today I can't finish even one race offline. So it appears my disc need replacing. I have the Anniversary Edition... can I replace it with the regular one? And I can just use the new disc, correct?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but this stuff is new to me.

Sooooo, my problems happen online and offline, and are getting worse. After cleaning/polishing the disc I got several hours of use last night online and offline with the internet disabled. Today I can't finish even one race offline. So it appears my disc need replacing. I have the Anniversary Edition... can I replace it with the regular one? And I can just use the new disc, correct?

Well before you go off and replace the disk nuke the game data and re-download it all. It needs to load the game once to start the process it could just be some corrupted data in files, the off line uses some of the downloaded data. If that don't work, then yes any game disk new or used will work fine you could even download it from PSN and just store it on the PS3 it's self if you have the spare space for that.

No worries on the questions, the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask.

Are you able to watch streamed movies without issue?

Are other games all working like normal?

My old system can't play the game anymore or any other game. It overheats and has a bad HDMI output. I have the HDMI cord resting on my game pad charging stand to support the connection to the unit and that helps. But for playing GT6 I purchased a new machine to eliminate the problems I was having.

The PS3/4 are computers and computers can have issues if they get too hot. Even a weather change to a series of hot summer days can be enough to cause problems.

If the game disc and reloading the game doesn't help it could be the PS3 is tired :(

But if all other games are working it is probably an update that is less stable and needs to be reinstalled. PS update possibly as well as GT6 update.

So far all other games are fine. I haven't streamed a movie, so I'll ck that out. I've noticed that it seems to get hotter than in my recent memory, but that could be attributed to a heat wave the SF bay area is having. I have yet another question: The shiny side of my disc, the one that the PS reads, has a black line around the disc about 1/2 inch in from the edge. Is this normal? My son said he had a disc he damaged with a line like that, though he says his looked a little different.

The game loads fine, and I can navigate all screens without issue. It's only with a race or in free run mode that I have trouble. My PS is up to date. I wish there was a way that you could tell if the game data or an update was corrupt.

I'm getting close to wrapping my mind around a re-install, I just am not into all the micromanaging it requires to get all the updates installed cleanly.

So far all other games are fine. I haven't streamed a movie, so I'll ck that out. I've noticed that it seems to get hotter than in my recent memory, but that could be attributed to a heat wave the SF bay area is having. I have yet another question: The shiny side of my disc, the one that the PS reads, has a black line around the disc about 1/2 inch in from the edge. Is this normal? My son said he had a disc he damaged with a line like that, though he says his looked a little different.

The game loads fine, and I can navigate all screens without issue. It's only with a race or in free run mode that I have trouble. My PS is up to date. I wish there was a way that you could tell if the game data or an update was corrupt.

I'm getting close to wrapping my mind around a re-install, I just am not into all the micromanaging it requires to get all the updates installed cleanly.
The disc should not have a black line around it and it should look very shiny, and that maybe your problem a mark on your disc. If you can not removed that mark or black line, you should buy another GT6 disc.

The disc should not have a black line around it and it should look very shiny, and that maybe your problem a mark on your disc. If you can not removed that mark or black line, you should buy another GT6 disc.

Thank you! I'm going to drop the $14 on a new disc before I do anything. 👍

Hello,

I have the Anniversary Edition DVD just like you, in order to keep my copy as safe as possible, I decided to buy another regular and cheapest GT6 DVD copy than the Anniversary Edition.
So you can replace it, if the problem is the DVD without any issue, (Bonus Content)

But if you want my opinion I think your PS3 is ok, but corrupted data in files, maybe the latest update 1.20 went wrong?

Last edited:
Hello,

I have the Anniversary Edition DVD just like you, in order to keep my copy as safe as possible, I decided to buy another regular and cheapest GT6 DVD copy than the Anniversary Edition.
So you can replace it, if the problem is the DVD without any issue, (Bonus Content)

Thanks for reminding me - I shudder to think how I would miss GT if my disc failed due to some warping, scratching, heart failure, etc.

I usually buy a spare disc of my most played games. If the disc goes - bam - no more game.

Call me paranoid.
Or just wealthy.

Thanks for reminding me - I shudder to think how I would miss GT if my disc failed due to some warping, scratching, heart failure, etc.

I usually buy a spare disc of my most played games. If the disc goes - bam - no more game.

Call me paranoid.
Or just wealthy.

it is ok I am paranoid :lol::lol::lol:

Back up, Back up your game advance!!!

Last edited:
Hello,

But if you want my opinion I think your PS3 is ok, but corrupted data in files, maybe the latest update 1.20 went wrong?

Yea, the timing of my problems coming just after 1.20 certainly points to that. But I agree that a spare copy is a good idea. GT6 is the only one I dont have 2 copies of. I'm getting one this morning, so by noon I'll know if I'm good to go.

Thread bump :)

@Draggon what was the outcome mate after buying a new disc ?

As this is what has begun to happen to mine.
20161028_125911.jpg

Thread bump :)

@Draggon what was the outcome mate after buying a new disc ?

My disc looked like yours! :indiff: A new disc made the game playable, but I had more serious issues. At this point I believe it was corrupt data from an update, or a failing console, or both. I think the bad disc was just a coincidence.

By March of this year I couldn't ever predict if I was able to play or not. I didn't feel like chancing a re-install on a potentially worn out machine, so I got a brand new 500gb slim and it works like a champ!

I still have the old PS3 but haven't been able to break myself away from GT6 long enough to fire it up and attempt a re-install. Boy, that says something about me! :eek:

Last edited:
Sounds likes it time for a second PSN and you got a streaming box right there ;)

Ha! I've got 2 accounts on the new one already! The old box has GT5, Need for Speed, and some others, so its not going away. Might put it in the living room for more of a family experience watching movies.

Only two PS3's?
So you just need one more for a propper triple monitor setup?

Oh, yea, just what I need, more electronics! That would be a lot of fun though. 👍

Back