Scottish
Contributing Writer
Scotland
GTPlanet
Street-King-07
Quattro Saltire
Lancia-Delta-Integrale-0.jpg

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/07/some-fca-execs-are-reportedly-asking.html

Rumours to come out of FCA suggest some senior executives want an all-new Lancia Delta Integrale to be built before the company is wound down.

Is this a good idea for trying to send off Lancia before it finally dies?

Discuss.

Last edited:
Well, I'm not an expert in the automobilie market and don't know much about business, so I wouldn't know if it's a good idea or not to give Lancia a jump start. Of course, I love the idea of Fiat trying to bring Lancia back up along with the Delta Integrale.

They could make Lancia their version of M-sport/AMG/Quattro Gmbh.. Bring back Delta Integrale, Stratos, Monte Carlo, 037..

Surely it's pointing to a possible future for the brand as a sporting arm? You wouldn't retool the now ancient Delta/Bravo platform as a crapshoot? You'd expect them to use this to gauge interest in the Lancia brand as a going concern.

Is this a good idea for trying to send off Lancia before it finally dies?

Discuss.
No, its terrible idea. Ive said this before but instead of making the extremely crappy cars of the last 20 years they need to just make badass cars like in the past, They need to go back to their roots, Marcchione says no one wants lancia outside of italy. Thats like saying no one wants herpes outside of italy.

No Lancia Deltas, Just Lancia Delta intergrales and such.

Oops, I thought Fiat was trying to fix Lancia; I didn't know that they were going to send the brand off. In that case, I don't think it's a good idea. I mean, a Delta Integrale would be a great final sendoff if they can do it right, but I still think they shouldn't just drop the brand.

I would rather see Fiat make Lancia just improve their models across the lineup. Style them better, make performance models again, find a way to make them competitive in the market, and etc.

Oops, I thought Fiat was trying to fix Lancia; I didn't know that they were going to send the brand off. In that case, I don't think it's a good idea. I mean, a Delta Integrale would be a great final sendoff if they can do it right, but I still think they shouldn't just drop the brand.

I would rather see Fiat make Lancia just improve their models across the lineup. Style them better, make performance models again, find a way to make them competitive in the market, and etc.

I think there is just no room for Lancia in the current FCA portfolio. Outside of the Delta Integrale, what car could they possibly come up with that wouldn't work just as well as an Alfa Romeo?

Its a classic case of an automotive conglomerate owning way too many brands. And they won't sell it off to someone else because they don't want the competition.

Pretty sure that article said that was a private project... based off a Ferrari platform. Ferrari said no.

Hmm... rereading it.

So Ferrari was originally sorta okay with it then they said it would be competing with the 458 and Ferrari stopped the project? Than a private company tried to make it and they failed? Did FCA ever have anything to do with the New Stratos Project?

stradale_1.jpg

Seems a bit big?

Last edited:
Lancia imo should just focus on Performnace cars that are somewhere between Fiat and Ferrari in price and performance.

Have a Delta that starts at a VW GTI level and then go to A45, RS3 rival or better.

If I were Sergio, I'd skip a few steps and rush the thing into production ASAP as a premium sport crossover.

I mean, there's a very clear business case for that, right? Neither Maserati, nor Alfa, or Fiat have a truly premium crossover offering. Clearly, its where the money is going, and there's definitely space for an awkward sporty thing - The Juke, SQ3, and so on are selling quite well. So, why not take the 500X, tweak the interior and exterior for luxurious upgrades. Strap a healthy tune on the 1.4T, push the power well north of 200 BHP, and use that seemingly heavier duty manual/AWD combo from the Renegade underneath. Wouldn't that make more sense than something completely bespoke instead of hemorrhaging more money?

Furthermore, if they want to make a Stratos or a 037 successor, why not tweak what they already have with the Alfa 4C? Its a great chassis, with a great transmission - there's gotta be a way they can figure out how to strap in a different/bigger engine. What about that itty-bitty V6 from the Cherokee? Its all doable, someone's just gotta pull the trigger.

If I were Sergio, I'd skip a few steps and rush the thing into production ASAP as a premium sport crossover.

I mean, there's a very clear business case for that, right? Neither Maserati, nor Alfa, or Fiat have a truly premium crossover offering. Clearly, its where the money is going, and there's definitely space for an awkward sporty thing - The Juke, SQ3, and so on are selling quite well. So, why not take the 500X, tweak the interior and exterior for luxurious upgrades. Strap a healthy tune on the 1.4T, push the power well north of 200 BHP, and use that seemingly heavier duty manual/AWD combo from the Renegade underneath. Wouldn't that make more sense than something completely bespoke instead of hemorrhaging more money?

Furthermore, if they want to make a Stratos or a 037 successor, why not tweak what they already have with the Alfa 4C? Its a great chassis, with a great transmission - there's gotta be a way they can figure out how to strap in a different/bigger engine. What about that itty-bitty V6 from the Cherokee? Its all doable, someone's just gotta pull the trigger.

But I think FCA wants Lancia to die. It's a largely unnecessary brand (as stated earlier in this thread) that was once somewhere between Alfa Romeo and Fiat, maybe, but with Fiat emerging as a sort of cheaper premium brand there doesn't seem to be much of a business case for Lancia. I don't see any motivation on the part of FCA for doing a Stratos. At best, it might take a few sales from the 4C. But from a business perspective, why would you want that? It would likely have the exact same issues as the Alfa (aka, too expensive for the quality and the drivetrain) so it's not like it would start steering people who weren't already convinced by the 4C away from the Cayman or other more sensible offerings. I'm pretty sure that Lancia is going to die soon. It's FCA, not FCLA.

Pretty sure that article said that was a private project... based off a Ferrari platform. Ferrari said no.

Hmm... rereading it.

So Ferrari was originally sorta okay with it then they said it would be competing with the 458 and Ferrari stopped the project? Than a private company tried to make it and they failed? Did FCA ever have anything to do with the New Stratos Project?
Likely not besides maybe allowing the car to use the Lancia Stratos name. Ferrari pretty much has full say on what can or can not use anything they've created. It's likely Pininfarina who was cited as the expert needed for the independent also wasn't about to go against Ferrari's wishes.

Likely not besides maybe allowing the car to use the Lancia Stratos name. Ferrari pretty much has full say on what can or can not use anything they've created. It's likely Pininfarina who was cited as the expert needed for the independent also wasn't about to go against Ferrari's wishes.
I'm pretty sure i read somewhere (iirc) that it out-performed the Ferrari using the same chassis. I'd say that's a more likely reason for Ferrari giving it a no go.

I'm pretty sure i read somewhere (iirc) that it out-performed the Ferrari using the same chassis. I'd say that's a more likely reason for Ferrari giving it a no go.
I didn't say anything about why Ferrari didn't give the original its blessing. I said why the independent company was likely not able to get the car going.
The attempt by an independent company to build the New Stratos alone, also failed to materialise. For while the company had plenty of chassis and body data, there were many details that relied upon the expertise of Pininfarina. Stoschek did not want to risk quality standards being compromised.
Pininfarina has been Ferrari's life-long partner. If Ferrari didn't want to commission the one-off to be produced, Pininfarina knew Ferrari wouldn't be happy if they assisted in building the car through someone else.

I didn't say anything about why Ferrari didn't give the original its blessing. I said why the independent company was likely not able to get the car going.

Pininfarina has been Ferrari's life-long partner. If Ferrari didn't want to commission the one-off to be produced, Pininfarina knew Ferrari wouldn't be happy if they assisted in building the car through someone else.
My mistake, i actually meant to quote @bremics.

I still think it all boils down to Ferrari, and them not wanting a potentially better car (using the same chassis) to come to market.

A Good idea also would be to make a Shooting brake like Coupe to go up against the GT-R, give it like a modified version of the Guilias V6 turbo.

Back