The reality of Maintenance on GT6

• Thread starter Cole Brown
  • 201 comments
United States
Cincinnati, Ohio
Brown352
Hey guys, I'm kind of hoping this thread can be a little different from the others. And not get locked, here's hoping for serious discussion instead of your typical hype and general, Don't get hyped commentators, I'll admit, I was one of the hyped people of the last maintenance period, So I'm done getting my hopes up.

(All information collected from the GT Website, and GT Wikia)

Lets talk about what the reality could be. This is all speculation and observation on my part, and not a theory I have seen anywhere. So that's why I am making this, any one is welcome to add commentary.

In the past, talking about Gt5. We had many updates for the game to be essentially completed, while fixing some bugs.

Some time frame, 24, November, 2010. The game launchs w/ update V1.01.
The game updates periodically twice every month, or every other month
After v1.13 released, we peaked and reached v2.0, we have already surpassed v1.13
Along with these updates, many were accompanied by server
maintenance of varying lengths. 2-4 hours mostly.

But what sparked an interest in me, was after 2.0, even though we made it to all the way to 2.16, the updates were given more sparingly.
We made it up to 2.16 before they cancelled online services
Just six months after Gran Turismo 6s release.

With Gran Turismo having so many fewer updates than GT5, but having a size advantage. Put us around the same time frame as GT5. PDI seems to have a pattern, I hope I'm not crazy and some others can see it as well.
Some of the last few updates are what I am truly interested in. Many being small in size, fixing minor bugs but always accompanied by server maintenance, Some notable ones weighing in at 4 hours.

To the point, so as I said, this is all speculation, but could we be seeing the beginning of the End of GT6? Could these extended maintenance period be coming on the heels of a possible announcement for GT7, and maybe even prepping the servers for after GT7 comes out.

Maybe this could go as far to say, since we all know PDI is relativly cheap when it comes to some matters, and nothing different is happening with servers on GT6, besides getting worse. Is PDI prepping PS3 servers, to be transferred to the PS4, rather than build from the ground up?

And since someone may see this and think of this...

FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON DRAGON BALL Z!

Anyway, share your thoughts, I haven't seen this. It's something to think about none the less.

Just speculation, out of the 16 we have, there are 13 left. Assuming no other companies pull out. We could see quite a few more.

I'm sorry but how on Earth is hoping for GT7 announcement through these maintanance periods not getting you hyped? :boggled:

These are 2 different worlds for me :D
Just being inquisitive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, I'm kind of hoping this thread can be a little different from the others. And not get locked, here's hoping for serious discussion instead of your typical hype and general, Don't get hyped commentators, I'll admit, I was one of the hyped people of the last maintenance period, So I'm done getting my hopes up.

(All information collected from the GT Website, and GT Wikia)

Lets talk about what the reality could be. This is all speculation and observation on my part, and not a theory I have seen anywhere. So that's why I am making this, any one is welcome to add commentary.

In the past, talking about Gt5. We had many updates for the game to be essentially completed, while fixing some bugs.

Some time frame, 24, November, 2010. The game launchs w/ update V1.01.
The game updates periodically twice every month, or every other month
After v1.13 released, we peaked and reached v2.0, we have already surpassed v1.13
Along with these updates, many were accompanied by server
maintenance of varying lengths. 2-4 hours mostly.

But what sparked an interest in me, was after 2.0, even though we made it to all the way to 2.16, the updates were given more sparingly.
We made it up to 2.16 before they cancelled online services
Just six months after Gran Turismo 6s release.

With Gran Turismo having so many fewer updates than GT5, but having a size advantage. Put us around the same time frame as GT5. PDI seems to have a pattern, I hope I'm not crazy and some others can see it as well.
Some of the last few updates are what I am truly interested in. Many being small in size, fixing minor bugs but always accompanied by server maintenance, Some notable ones weighing in at 4 hours.

To the point, so as I said, this is all speculation, but could we be seeing the beginning of the End of GT6? Could these extended maintenance period be coming on the heels of a possible announcement for GT7, and maybe even prepping the servers for after GT7 comes out.

Maybe this could go as far to say, since we all know PDI is relativly cheap when it comes to some matters, and nothing different is happening with servers on GT6, besides getting worse. Is PDI prepping PS3 servers, to be transferred to the PS4, rather than build from the ground up?

And since someone may see this and think of this...

FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON DRAGON BALL Z!

Anyway, share your thoughts, I haven't seen this. It's something to think about none the less.

As @CowboyAce57 said,
We still have about half the VGTs to go, so I'd say we have a while before GT6 ends.
We do have awhile to go before the game reaches its end. Also from what I've seen, heard, read, and researched GT6 should be up and strong for another year at the least as seeing that GT7 isn't coming out any sooner than 2016 at the latest 2017. So we still have awhile before GT6 kicks the bucket.

To be honest, I don't really see it being the end of GT6 until either the FIA collaboration officially begins or Course maker arrives (whichever comes first). That and we still sort've aren't done with Vision GT. Still some time away realistically thinking about it.

This is all speculation and observation on my part, and not a hypothesis I have seen anywhere.

Fixed, you don't have enough evidence to call it a theory. A theory would be more like If PD announced that something was being released in July. It's ok a lot of people don't actually know what theory means. Gravity is a theory. :P

I wasn't thinking within the next couple of months. I was thinking more upwards of 6 months to a year. I should have made that clear. My mistake.

Fixed, you don't have enough evidence to call it a theory. A theory would be more like If PD announced that something was being released in July. It's ok a lot of people don't actually know what theory means. Gravity is a theory. :P

I know what theory means, I know what Hypothesis means.

To me these maintenances will bring the Course Maker (maybe not right after the last maintenance) but I'm pretty sure that they're preparing the online service to support each tracks created (or generated depending on what the Course Maker will turn out to be), that's why in the next 2 weeks we're going to have 16 hours of servers updates.

Also, secretely, I'm hoping for some surprise racecars, I'm surely going to be a bit disappointed because deep down I know that they won't bring any new racecars, but I'll get over it right after seeing the details of the possible update. :lol:

To me these maintenances will bring the Course Maker (maybe not right after the last maintenance) but I'm pretty sure that they're preparing the online service to support each tracks created (or generated depending on what the Course Maker will turn out to be), that's why in the next 2 weeks we're going to have 16 hours of servers updates.

Also, secretely, I'm hoping for some surprise racecars, I'm surely going to be a bit disappointed because deep down I know that they won't bring any new racecars, but I'll get over it right after seeing the details of the possible update. :lol:

Hey that would be fine with me, but trying not to get my hopes up:boggled:

I'm off to race guys.

I have an idea!

Lets make this thread a "Maintenance Speculating" Thread so while people can bicker Course Maker here, the actual maintenance thread will be filled with what realistically come after maintenance.

No?

Lets try to relax and not stress over updates coming to GT6. The title has only been out for 1 1/2 years now. GT5 was supported for 3 years. There's still a lot of content that PD wants to put into the game, although granted some of it might even be canceled between now and GT7 or whatever the next GT ends up being. I don't care if we get GT7 anytime soon because i'm very happy with GT6, where as with GT5 I couldn't wait to put that game out back to pasture because it was terrible. At most I just want GT6 ported to PS4.

Kaz himself even said that there are more companies joining the project, and some companies who have already released VGTs want to make another one.
That's very interesting, seems like these projects are giving car manufacturers a lot more publicity than I had imagined. However, this doesn't automatically mean more VGT cars for GT6. There could be a new VGT phase 2 if you will, for GT7.
What are the odds that the next update will include a time trial at willow springs.....
I wonder what makes you say that. :lol:

Well it's not very unreasonable to expect the CM to come after this maintenances are over.

It's been a while and this looks like some sort of preparation - perhaps for the sharing features contained inside the app ?

On the other hand Kaz said that they still don't have a date just a couple of weeks ago which doesn't scream "around the corner" and so in this light the 9th of July doesn't look like the day the CM will drop.

That unless they wanted to stay quiet until the very end and release it without prior announcements.

I'm thinking FIA.

That's very interesting, seems like these projects are giving car manufacturers a lot more publicity than I had imagined. However, this doesn't automatically mean more VGT cars for GT6. There could be a new VGT phase 2 if you will, for GT7.

I really hope that is true. I would love to see VGT continue into future GT titles. The feature is really great and makes its a huge standout for the series. I love how many unique features GT6 has, in a genre that is bloated with racing sims that all have the exact same content.

I don't know why people want more cars, we have alredy more than 1200 and the majority of us has tried the 10 or 20 % of it

Why would you need to try every car?
The beauty of GT is that even when you think you've found your favorite car, there's always several more in the same category that may well take the cake.

But yes, let's keep this thread on topic, otherwise the mods are likely to sweep though here with a magical lock and key.

Back