What's the obsession with it?

• Thread starter Marc30599
  • 32 comments
Back in 2013, Polyphony Digital said that Course Maker would be added to GT6 in an update, which was about two years ago.

In all my time on GTP I can't understand why everyone is so obsessed with GT6 course maker.... Obsessed to the point that they think every maintenance and update has to do with course maker? why the obsession?
I can tell you why I have personally been pissed off. One of the main reasons I bought this game was because I was told I would be able to make my own tracks based off of GPS information that I personally collected and uploaded to the game. That just sounded so cool...recreating real life roads in my city as a race track. I had never played a single second of any Gran Turismo game and the rest of it sounded really good, but that particular "feature" just blew me away.

Even though it does sound a bit gimmicky, it was a feature that was advertised as coming in a future update and I want it added to the game. Personally, I prefer real life race tracks, just like I prefer real life cars rather than VGTs or other make-believe concepts that will never see the light of day. But, I think that there is always the potential for someone to develop a really, really good custom circuit via the Course Maker. That possibility is exciting, to me.

In all my time on GTP I can't understand why everyone is so obsessed with GT6 course maker.... Obsessed to the point that they think every maintenance and update has to do with course maker? why the obsession?
Personally, rather than a course maker, I'd prefer 10 more real life tracks and a bunch of real life cars. All the effort they have apparently put in to the CM could have been used fixing problems in the game and expanding on what they've already got. I only used the course maker in GT5 a few times before moving on to other things.

Personally, rather than a course maker, I'd prefer 10 more real life tracks and a bunch of real life cars. All the effort they have apparently put in to the CM could have been used fixing problems in the game and expanding on what they've already got. I only used the course maker in GT5 a few times before moving on to other things.
I've never played Gran Turismo prior to purchasing GT6, however, I have watched some YouTube videos of GT5 tracks created by the Course Maker. The few that I saw were awful. Just plain awful. I have no doubt that there were a few decent tracks created, but I'm sure they were the minority.

What GT5 did was more like a random track generator, no? When I think of "course maker", I imagine every straight, every incline or decline, every turn, etc., is decided by me. I hope that is what has been taking so long. If we are given something that resembles the GT5 version I will be beyond disappointed.

If given the choice, at this point now, I would agree with you @rixtar...10 real life courses and some real life cars - I wouldn't even have to think about it.

I've never played Gran Turismo prior to purchasing GT6, however, I have watched some YouTube videos of GT5 tracks created by the Course Maker. The few that I saw were awful. Just plain awful. I have no doubt that there were a few decent tracks created, but I'm sure they were the minority.

What GT5 did was more like a random track generator, no? When I think of "course maker", I imagine every straight, every incline or decline, every turn, etc., is decided by me. I hope that is what has been taking so long. If we are given something that resembles the GT5 version I will be beyond disappointed.

If given the choice, at this point now, I would agree with you @rixtar...10 real life courses and some real life cars - I wouldn't even have to think about it.

Eifel, Liege and Toscana were pretty good actually. Mount Aso not so much, because the terrain was very limiting.

But yeah, total control would of course be better :)

For a lot of people it's a highlighting feature of the game, some I'm sure were looking forward to it the most out of all the things that GT6 brought.

People are allowed to desire things, if you don't care about it that's OK.

raceforever.jpg

I can only find 31 endings.

Please, help.

Probably because it was a feature promised when people bought the game. I'm pretty sure that people do not wish to purchase something and only receive 90% of it.

Because many people here can't seem to let things go and just LOVE to focus on the negative.

Probably because it was a feature promised when people bought the game. I'm pretty sure that people do not wish to purchase something and only receive 90% of it.
Have you heard of early access? People have proven that they'll buy an unfinished product en masse if given the chance.

I was very active at the "so what about the course maker" that was just locked because it was becoming pointless, so let's try to make this thread better then the last CM one.

I think the fustration is composed off a few things:

1. With all of the new racing games (sims) like AC , Project CARS, Forza 5/6 etc people start to look at other games and see everything Gran Turismo 6 has ( Careers mode, online mode, DLC's etc ), people search for something that make "their" game uniqe. In GT6 it's : Moon missions, GFoS, VGTs, Seira time rally. These features are 'old' now, and people search for something else. And they find the Course maker (Wow). An amazing feature never seen in this scale before. who didn't wanted to drive in his local track or city's streets ! It's something to say you have but other don't.

2. Gran Turismo 6 is an old game, and with all the 'next gen racing games' , people want more. The've finished GT6's careers mode and they're board ! They want more, and the course maker looks like hours of fun. We want something completly new and different.

3. PD first talked about the new couse maker at 15.5.13, about two years ago. People didn't expect such a long waiting time. And the fact that they don't know anything about it make them Mad, really mad ! People's Patience is over.

4. People will always find something to be mad about:

A. GT5 is being delayed, GT5P is out.
B. GT5 has standart cars.
3. GT5 doesn't have good sound engine.
4. GT5 online is bad.
4. GT6 is on the PS3
5. GT6 has standart cars.
7. Seira is delyaed
8. B spec is not out.
9. B spec is useless.
10. The course maker is not out.

If it's not the course maker it will be something else.

4. The course maker will be out Soon.

I think this combnation and more stuff is creating this mad obbsesive mob ( That ,Ill admit ,I am a part of it).

People have different ways of playing this game. I tried the course maker in GT5 and quickly became frustrated with its limitations and the very poor tracks I made, however other people with more talent and patience created some absolutely fabulous tracks which they shared with the community.

I am not looking forward to the course maker to use myself, but assuming that tracks can be shared I am looking forward to the tracks made by people with more talent, patience and time. If the course creator is only slightly better than the one in GT5 then talented people will create some great tracks.

The problem is that the course creator was hyped in terms of the massive size and range of terrain available, the ability to create tracks around the streets of historic Spanish towns etc. and then PD started reducing the scope by reavealing that the terrain would only be a fraction of the size.

It has now been a very long time without the delivery of features which for some people were their main reasons for purchase.

I can tell you why I have personally been pissed off. One of the main reasons I bought this game was because I was told I would be able to make my own tracks based off of GPS information that I personally collected and uploaded to the game. That just sounded so cool...recreating real life roads in my city as a race track. I had never played a single second of any Gran Turismo game and the rest of it sounded really good, but that particular "feature" just blew me away.

Even though it does sound a bit gimmicky, it was a feature that was advertised as coming in a future update and I want it added to the game. Personally, I prefer real life race tracks, just like I prefer real life cars rather than VGTs or other make-believe concepts that will never see the light of day. But, I think that there is always the potential for someone to develop a really, really good custom circuit via the Course Maker. That possibility is exciting, to me.
Well put!

At the very least, the drag racers (which I am not) should have the ability to build a real quarter mile track. How hard can that be?

Well put!

At the very least, the drag racers (which I am not) should have the ability to build a real quarter mile track. How hard can that be?
It's criminal that there isn't a quarter-mile track in Gran Turismo. I don't drag race. I have no interest in drag racing, but many, many people do. If they can publish drifting events every other week in the Seasonal Events section, surely they can appreciate that another aspect of "car life" is drag racing. Talk about the easiest track to make! I really hope they include a drag strip in GT7 for the drag racers out there...

I personally never understood the hype about the course maker to be honest as it was all very well and good in GT5 but it was limited as to what you could do with the track, but after reading the post from ALB123 with the GPS course maker then that would be awesome as who doesn't want to race around a track that so some extent resembles your local area or even a track that's not on there yet? But if the course maker is just the same as it was in GT5 then i would prefer to have some more tracks.

JAMP0T1

Imagine the power to make your own tracks! With 220MPH turns and 3mile straights! With corkscrews that replicated the spirals of a multi-storey car park, maybe even loops and ramps if CM would allow it!! The possibilities are endless, who wouldn't wanna be able to enact their wildest track ideas? Or if even to bring back the oldies like Complex String, or the road rally tracks from Forza! :D That's the appeal, something that would hugely expand the variety in game (if you play GTAV look at how the deathmatch and race editors have brought so many new interesting and unknown-to-others ideas)

Imagine the power to make your own tracks! With 220MPH turns and 3mile straights! With corkscrews that replicated the spirals of a multi-storey car park, maybe even loops and ramps if CM would allow it!! The possibilities are endless, who wouldn't wanna be able to enact their wildest track ideas? Or if even to bring back the oldies like Complex String, or the road rally tracks from Forza! :D That's the appeal, something that would hugely expand the variety in game (if you play GTAV look at how the deathmatch and race editors have brought so many new interesting and unknown-to-others ideas)
While I would not spend 15 seconds on a track that had a loop or ramps to jump off, I'm sure that many people would enjoy that type of thing. If Course Maker ever comes to GT6 I doubt it will have those capabilities, but you never know. Myself? I just want to be able to create enjoyable, realistic tracks.

While I would not spend 15 seconds on a track that had a loop or ramps to jump off, I'm sure that many people would enjoy that type of thing. If Course Maker ever comes to GT6 I doubt it will have those capabilities, but you never know. Myself? I just want to be able to create enjoyable, realistic tracks.
Yea, for a lot of people it will be a tool to fill their perceived voids in the tracks available. For me I want a very long, very fast track, Sierra is the closest currently to what I wanted, but sometimes you want a track with everything! You could even have gravity-assisted steeply declining straights for smaller straights to fit a section in a constrained area yet allowing for high speeds!

To tell consumers that they're getting something, and then fail to deliver is the very definition of false advertising. And I'm almost certain that false advertising is a felony in most countries.

So if they're unable to release the Course Maker in GT6, then they've committed a felony and ergo should have legal consequences for doing so. Hopefully that won't be the case, and they'll be able to release it soon. :rolleyes:

Sadly I fear the course maker is most likely another one of the Kazunori Yamauchi Syndrome things of being a great idea in theory, but ends up getting poorly implemented. That is if it even gets implemented at all.

Last edited:
To tell consumers that they're getting something, and then fail to deliver is the very definition of false advertising. And I'm almost certain that false advertising is a felony in most countries.

So if they're unable to release the Course Maker in GT6, then they've committed a felony and ergo should have legal consequences for doing so. Hopefully that won't be the case, and they'll be able to release it soon. :rolleyes:

Sadly I fear the course maker is most likely another one of the Kazunori Yamauchi Syndrome things of being a great idea in theory, but ends up getting poorly implemented. That is if it even gets implemented at all.
A felony? Are you serious? Where do people come up with this stuff? I want the course maker as much as the next guy, but come on. I should say that I'm speaking about the United States of America, the country you and I live in. I don't profess to speak on behalf of the laws of any other nation.

They advertised the feature for GT6, so if they're unable to implement it in GT6, then they've commit false advertising. Ergo, a felony.
I see what you mean...but this happens a lot really (it's like vaporware)

This.

People have different ways of playing this game. I tried the course maker in GT5 and quickly became frustrated with its limitations and the very poor tracks I made, however other people with more talent and patience created some absolutely fabulous tracks which they shared with the community.

I am not looking forward to the course maker to use myself, but assuming that tracks can be shared I am looking forward to the tracks made by people with more talent, patience and time. If the course creator is only slightly better than the one in GT5 then talented people will create some great tracks.

The problem is that the course creator was hyped in terms of the massive size and range of terrain available, the ability to create tracks around the streets of historic Spanish towns etc. and then PD started reducing the scope by reavealing that the terrain would only be a fraction of the size.

It has now been a very long time without the delivery of features which for some people were their main reasons for purchase.

...and this.

GTA 5 is a perfect example of how creative the gaming community can be when they have the tools at their disposal.

The course creator would have been a great addition to the game if it wasn't held up for so long.

Back