Wheel Driver's Only: Left foot braking?

• Thread starter ALB123
  • 61 comments

For those of you who drive with a steering wheel and foot pedals, do you brake with your left foot?

• Total voters
United States
Massachusetts
If you do not play Gran Turismo 6 with a steering wheel and foot pedals, please do not vote. If you do drive with a steering wheel & pedals, I'm interested in seeing how many people drive traditionally versus driving with one foot on the accelerator and the other foot on the brake.

Left-foot braking as that is way I learnt how to brake first and also should be fastest way for GT6. Too much effort to brake with right foot IMO or maybe that is me just being too lazy. :lol:

If I had a set if pedals with a clutch I'd use my right foot to break and accelerate but since I only have two I left foot brake, it's easier and faster.

Left foot braking... kind of by default as I needed to stabilise the pedal base; however, it was natural to me as that's how I used to race go karts. The next question though, should you use brake and accelerator at the same time.

Cheers

In reallife we race with leftfoot braking, as we only need the clutch for the start.
You have faster brake reactions and you can play more with the throttle and brakes.

Only disadvantage you notice when you drive endurance races: Fuel consumtion. You use more fuel when we are doing left foot braking.

And due to Motorsport I also do the left foot braking in GT6 for the same advantages.

Both. When I use paddle-shift I brake with the left foot, when I use the clutch I brake with the right foot.

IRL I never drove automatic, but I think I would use the right foot for accelerator and braking.

It depends, if I'm using the clutch, Right foot for Accelerator and Brake, if I'm using paddles. Left foot brake, right foot accelerator. Safer that way, anyway in a real car contrary to popular belief, even though I only use my right foot in my little V6 Camry.

Left foot braking... kind of by default as I needed to stabilise the pedal base; however, it was natural to me as that's how I used to race go karts. The next question though, should you use brake and accelerator at the same time.

Cheers
I always left foot brake in GT6, and often do both at the same time, like when doing stuff like trail braking into corners. It seems to help the stability of the car.

Left foot brake in the game, with paddles (no shifter so the clutch is useless anyway).

Also LFB in real life when I'm driving an auto.

If you drive clutch it is much easier to use your right foot for braking. If the car has a fully manual transmission i use use my left foot for the clutch only. Right foot gas and brake. If the car has a semi automatic or a fully automatic transmission, then out of habit, I'll still use my right foot for braking. That's what I've been thought and in my opinion it is easier to brake with my right foot.

Left foot braking all the way. Best for speed and car control IMO.

Like many others left foot when not using clutch and a mix of left/right depending on circumstance for manual and heel/toe driving.

IMO if you have enough time to get your right foot moved over to the brake pedal you're probably not going fast enough.

Also there are times when I drag the brake slightly instead of backing of the throttle. You'd be surprised at how much time you can gain in some situations doing that.

Pretty much what everyone else said, left foot with paddles, right foot with clutch. Would still like to master heel-toe when using the clutch someday however.

I sometimes even left foot brake in real life with my manual 3 pedals car, so in games... :D
I also do this. ;)

What I find interesting is some people used to right-foot braking struggle to do this and brake too heavily.

Anyway I hope one day to learn the following technique where you brake with either feet depending on if you are going to heel-and-toe on downshifts or left-foot braking if no downshift needed like shown in video below:

Main problem I have is with my current setup, if I use clutch pedal it can jump up off the floor. Also after a few gear changes, the shifter comes off the table which is not ideal. :lol:

If it's paddle shifting, left foot braking.
If it's manual H shifting, then right foot (because I use heel-toe on the pedals)

i have always used my right foot for both accelerating and braking, braking with my left foot just feels awkward and i dont have the accuracy needed to prevent lockup.

Latest Posts

Back